Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 2005 v 2012

Veterans List

2005 v 2012

I know it's like comparing children, but I've been thinking about the two premierships and which has given me more joy.

Although I haven't been a long time Swans/Souths supporter, the relief after 2005 was palpable. Then there was the hair-raising finish and the immortal Mark of the Millennium. A great game plan backed by some brilliant individual acts of courage. And of course, it was a triumph of good over evil.

But 2012 was really really special - hardly anyone had a bad day, it was one of the great GFs ever played, so many special passages, and a tremendous gutsy inspired come from behind victory.

So, in a count back, I declare 2012 the winner.

How about others? Do you just love them all like your offspring, or is there one that stands out?

I have to concur. Mainly because there was a struck match between the marquise players and the lesser lights in the 2012 game. Could you imaging ANY of those boys been put up for trade? I think it was 3 players traded within 2 years, from 2005 may be more. says something.

Also I can watch 2012 again and again, just for the thrill of the game. I watch 2005 rarely and its the last 10 minutes I rate. Big difference. but it was a win, with Nic Davis giving us a go (gone), Snider sparking for the 4th quarter against St Kilda (traded), Monty kicking us ahead in the granny (traded).

Same result but different emotions.
    If you've never jumped from one couch to the other to save yourself from lava then you didn't have a childhood

On the Rookie List BillyRayCypress's Avatar
    2012 is not the same without Kerr coming back time and time again after being injured. Ben Cousens and Daniel Chick playing on.....................emotion.

After 6 hours in the cold and the wind today taking registrations, I couldn't help being sarcastic.

2012, because we shouldn't have won the game. So that always makes it sweeter. It was minus Barry Biffo as well.
    Nothing like a good light bulb moment.

Senior Player
    Just watched 2012 Grand Final again for about the 30th time and I loved it. I reckon 2012 was much more entertaining but both were special as we weren't meant to win either. No room for egos in the swans, it is always a team effort. Can't wait for 2013 to start.

scott names the planets stellation's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Davo played in 2005. No contest.

2005 v 2012

Quote Originally Posted by stellation View Post
    Davo played in 2005. No contest.
    I agree...2012 it is.
    ..And the Swans are the Premiers...The Ultimate Team...The Ultimate Warriors. They have overcome the highly fancied Hawks in brilliant style. Sydney the 2012 Premiers - Gerard Whately ABC

Here it is Again! - Huddo SEN

2005 v 2012

2005 = Utter Relief
    2012 = Indescribable Joy.

I'm just loving the fact we can have a thread like this.

If you had told me in the early 90's that in the next 20 years that we'd rarely miss the finals, play in 4 Grand Finals winning 2 flags whilst becoming one of the most respected organizations in this country I'd have called for the men in the white coats to take you away.
    ..And the Swans are the Premiers...The Ultimate Team...The Ultimate Warriors. They have overcome the highly fancied Hawks in brilliant style. Sydney the 2012 Premiers - Gerard Whately ABC

Here it is Again! - Huddo SEN

Senior Player
    Blog Entries
    The funny thing is that both grand finals involved us giving up comfortable leads and having to come from 2 goals behind early in the last quarter to win!

Quote Originally Posted by Xie Shan View Post
    The funny thing is that both grand finals involved us giving up comfortable leads and having to come from 2 goals behind early in the last quarter to win!
    Before Mal kicked the sealing goal there were more than a few comments about...."4 points again!" where I was at Darling Harbour.
    Does God believe in Atheists?

Regular in the Side Velour&Ruffles's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Big Al View Post
    2005 = Utter Relief

If you had told me in the early 90's that in the next 20 years that we'd rarely miss the finals, play in 4 Grand Finals winning 2 flags whilst becoming one of the most respected organizations in this country I'd have called for the men in the white coats to take you away.
    This - I still have to pinch myself.
    In 1990, the odds of a thousand-strong swarm of winged, technicolour monkeys bursting from my rear end and flying in perfect V formation to the moon seemed infinitely more realistic.
    My opinion is objective truth in its purest form

scott names the planets stellation's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    I agree...2012 it is.
    I want to say you're dead to me, but I love a cuddly man (hence the Davo love!) so just can't bring myself to.

2005 = Utter Relief

Yep that's pretty much my take on it. The lasting memory of that day at the G to me will not be the game, not the great sight of the hawthorn players on the ground after losing what the media saw as the 'unlosable', but the sight of a grown man, similar in age to me (25), openly weeping with joy after the final siren. I just looked at him, said nothing and gave him a massive bear hug filled with joy! That moment of raw emotion will stick with me forever!!!
    "You get the feeling that like Monty Python's Black Knight, the Swans would regard amputation as merely a flesh wound."

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast