Page 5 of 15 FirstFirst 123456789 ... LastLast

Thread: Essendon Football Club Drama

Ego alta, ergo ictus Ruck'n'Roll's Avatar
    To summarise

First line defence:
    Essendon denies that anyone took AOD, despite the consent forms they had players sign. Even Watson didn?t admit to taking the stuff, he merely said he believed he may have.

Second line defence:
    Essendon have claimed that there was a note from ASADA that said AOD wasn?t banned, while simultaneously denying they took it. Unfortunately no-one can find a copy nor remember what it actually said or who it was from.

Note:
    The whole AOD thing is also somewhat of a red herring anyway, Essendon have seized upon it because they really don?t want to debate the legality of some of the other substances they were invoiced for and which are absolutely forbidden.

Third Line Defence:
    It was rogue elements, we didn?t realise what they were doing, and as soon as we suspected something was up we ?self-reported? . . . leaving aside the timing of the self report, this was the players best hope of escaping serious penalty. 6 months seems to be the standard penalty for unknowing ingestion.

Obfuscation masquerading as Defences:

Uncertainty about exactly which classification AOD was banned under, classic nit picking. It was banned. This defence was assisted by Fat Andy when he and Evans were working out a soft landing for the Bombers, a soft landing Hird may have jeopardised.

The "ACC said it wasn?t banned defence". Actually the ACC statement to that fact was on page 14 of their report on drugs in sport. And appears to be an abridgement of the full AUD964 statement on page 39. If it wasn?t the ACC it?d be called a typo. In any case for the purposes of banning athletes, The ACC?s opinion is irrelevant (Gerard Whately?s is even more so).

There is no evidence that AOD is performance enhancing, leaving aside the question ?In that case why were you taking it?? Of course the statement is irrelevant because it was banned.
    In response to revelations about the meeting in 2011 where Clothier warned Hird not to use peptides wasn?t an official one on one ?Don?t use Peptides Warning? meeting so it doesn?t count.

Then whole Fat Andy told us we were in trouble before we ?self reported? argument is also irrelevant. If it were true then yes Fat Andy would be in trouble, however when Hird leaked this not only did he pick a fight with Fat Andy he also punctured the Essendon players ?self-report? defence.

The AFLPA?s ?Information not available to players? defence will not help the players, if amateur Olympic athletes can and do the research why can?t professional football players get off their X-boxes and do the same research?

Catch 22
    Even if there proves to be insufficient evidence of drug cheating, and without positive tests or admissions this is a distinct possibility, the AFL can always crack Essendon?s egg with their ?Bringing the Game into Disrepute? hammer, should they so wish.

History
    While Bomber fans are proud of having won the most premierships. Essendon also hold the record for the number of times they having been penalised (with the loss of draft picks) for breaching the salary cap. Should anyone be surprised they tried cheating this way too?

Final Observations:
    Much as I find it distasteful, I suspect that Evans and Fat Andy had been negotiating a soft landing for the players. Whether the brinkmanship of James Hird, Essendon?s "Dear Leader" and ?Great Successor? jeopardises this is less certain, but it?d be ironic if it forces the AFL to draw a clear line in the sand on this issue, rather than producing another ambiguous ?negotiated settlement? like the Demon Tankathon.
    Loose translation from the Latin is - I am tall, so I hit out.

Thanks for that wrapup R'n'R.
    A complicated affair, but random things have caught my attention:

The "phone call" - I'm wondering if this gets down to a Clintonesque parsing of the meaning of the word 'discussed'. Did Andy D say something that was understood as a 'tipoff'? Or, Chinese whispers style, which Hird somehow interpreted as a tipoff? Maybe not likely, but possible. We're all curious about the phone call.

Caro Wilson v Hird - Apart from the amusement value at the reactions to Caro, her view that there's a Hird camp that's been leaking against Evans and the AFL gets some support with the resignation of the media person overnight, which gives a little more credence to Caro's notion that Hird is deeply implicated and should take responsibility.

Hird - if the worst is proved true surely one of the greatest falls from grace in Australian sporting life.

Players - I'm quite sympathetic, less so the playing group leaders, but if you're a 20yo kid and the club doctor says 'take this' you're not going to refuse. The AFl and the AFLPA need to create some sort of players' health and medical rights code that they can invoke and which clubs must observe.
    The man who laughs has not yet heard the terrible news

Senior Player
    New line of defence: Hawthorn, Collingwood and West Coast did it too:

No Cookies | Herald Sun

Sir Ashmole Gruntbucket hot potato's Avatar
    Just happy I don't follow The Bombers... Would give me a migraine , and I wouldn't know what to take for it .
    HP

pr. dim-melb; m not f
    Quote Originally Posted by R-1 View Post
    New line of defence: Hawthorn, Collingwood and West Coast did it too:

No Cookies | Herald Sun
    I don't know whether to be grateful or offended that we were left out!
    He reminds him of the guys, close-set, slow, and never rattled, who were play-makers on the team. (John Updike, seeing Josh Kennedy in a crystal ball)

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by hot potato View Post
    Just happy I don't follow The Bombers... Would give me a migraine , and I wouldn't know what to take for it .
    HP
    I'm sure the Bombers would have something to cure you.

Quote Originally Posted by ShockOfHair View Post
    Hird - if the worst is proved true surely one of the greatest falls from grace in Australian sporting life.
    Smug, arrogant and self-entitled, the Golden Child's chickens are coming home to roost. Add that obnoxious new chair (Evans seemed like a thoroughly decent man) and there is so little to like about that club.

Interesting to see that the online poll in The Age is running at 76% believing Robinson in what is basically a question of trust.

Cannot wait for the truth to come out

I had to laugh when Mark McVeigh described James Hird as a great delegator.

To me, Mark McVeigh smacked of someone who was pissed that this was all coming out.
    More angry at the messenger and trying to lessen the impact with his general and un-impacting comments.
    The difference between insanity and genius is measured only in success.

Quote Originally Posted by CureTheSane View Post
    To me, Mark McVeigh smacked of someone who was pissed that this was all coming out.
    More angry at the messenger and trying to lessen the impact with his general and un-impacting comments.
    On the other hand, the supplements could explain why Mark McVeigh still has his hair.
    The man who laughs has not yet heard the terrible news

Yeah, McVeigh was a pretty silly person to have on the panel.
    Maybe I misread his anger.
    Maybe it was directed towards those who insisted that he was contractually obligated to be there...
    The difference between insanity and genius is measured only in success.

Ego alta, ergo ictus Ruck'n'Roll's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by CureTheSane View Post
    Yeah, McVeigh was a pretty silly person to have on the panel.
    Maybe I misread his anger.
    Maybe it was directed towards those who insisted that he was contractually obligated to be there...
    Aren't we employing him, to look after some academy kids?
    Loose translation from the Latin is - I am tall, so I hit out.

Page 5 of 15 FirstFirst 123456789 ... LastLast