Page 15 of 15 FirstFirst ... 51112131415

Thread: Essendon Football Club Drama

Quote Originally Posted by Ruck'n'Roll View Post
    The spin doctors are claiming the penalty the severest ever. What a load of horse excrement. The fines are meaningless, Skull Little will simply extract it from some coterie of club billionaires. The move to 9th place and subsequent exclusion from finals similarly laughable, even the Essendon faithful aren?t stupid enough to believe they can win this year.

And when it comes to the draft penalties, it?s the exactly the same as Adelaide got for Tippett (whether the picks were lost of volunteered is a meaningless distinction). No wonder their president thought the penalty ?tough but fair? ? they have been treated with absurd leniency. Whether it was because of Essendon?s threats and bombast or just the AFL?s pro Victorian bias I don?t know but the result sucks.

And as for Little?s press conference, he described Hird as a martyr (Little?s response to one question was James accepted the penalty to save Essendon). Which I thought was amusing because when he returned as coach he was seen as a messiah. And of course like another well regarded messianic figure, after 12 months he will rise again. Some reporters have descriped faith in Hird as being like a cult, at the risk of possibly causing offence:

We believe in one Club,
    the Bombers, the mighty Don?s,
    winner of more premierships,
    than any other club, ever.
    We believe in one Messiah, James Hird,
    the truest Son of the Club,
    begotten of a Bombers Father (and Grandfather)
    Coached by Sheedy, toached by Brownlow.
    For us and for our salvation
    he undertook the coaching job:
    with the power of absolute faith
    he became incarnate in the coaches box,
    and was made messiah.
    For our sake he was crucified under Andy Demetriou;
    he chastisement and was suspended.
    On the twelfth month he will rise again
    in accordance with the Comission;
    he will ascend to the coaches box
    and may be seated at the right hand of Kevin Sheedy.
    He will come again in glory to win more premierships,
    and his kingdom will have no end.
    I'm a minister of religion and I am NOT offended. Very clever.
    Does God believe in Atheists?

Quote Originally Posted by Ludwig View Post
    Essendon are fighting for their very survival. It truly is a life and death issue for them. If it is true that 38 players signed consent forms for AOD-9604 and/or Thymosin-B4, then they are truly cooked, it would seem. I don't think the AFL should push them over the edge. The stakes are so enormous that this has to play out with Essendon kicking and punching till the bitter end.

I hope they can stay in the league, because I don't think the players intended to be drug cheats and might take the fall for the errors of a few megalomaniacs. But I also think that the WADA code needs to be respected, and if they have to fall, so be it.
    I for one don't mind if Essendon bow out in shame completely. I'm an old follower of Melbourne but it would be a convenient time for them to shuffle off too. It would be a fine way of cutting down the excessive number of teams and a way for victorians to finally wake up to the reality of a national competition.

Ego alta, ergo ictus Ruck'n'Roll's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by goswannie14 View Post
    I'm a minister of religion and I am NOT offended. Very clever.
    Thanks was a touch worried.

Anyone see Marngrook last night? Wayne Carey was good enough to give his OK to Hird and the Don's . . . .
    Loose translation from the Latin is - I am tall, so I hit out.

Sir Ashmole Gruntbucket hot potato's Avatar
    The AFL 's job was to get The Bombers out of the finals.
    They must be very pleased to have achieved that.
    What happens next is the more dramatic part, seems to be a lot of stuff that can't be ignored by the other authorities.

Heard Stu Crameri say one of the reasons he went to the Bulldogs was to be 'under a coach he respects'. Could be wrong but I am reading into this that he doesn't respect Hird. Who would have guessed.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by YvonneH View Post
    Heard Stu Crameri say one of the reasons he went to the Bulldogs was to be 'under a coach he respects'. Could be wrong but I am reading into this that he doesn't respect Hird. Who would have guessed.
    I heard that comment too.
    A bit of a slap in the face to Hirdy.

Page 15 of 15 FirstFirst ... 51112131415