Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: Bankstown: Swans or GWS?

Sad news of the recent passing of a Bankstown Sports Bomber's Legend - Norm Brooks.

Norm was a tireless volunteer with both the junior and senior club. His 4 sons, Russell, Barry, Pete and Rod all played Premier Div. SFL with the Bombers, Barry Brooks achieved a season with the Swans Reserves, injury curtailing his ambitions.

Norm was also well known for his Sports Crossword in the weekend Telegraphs, amongst other things!

Most recently he would be seen at Kelso supporting his grandson Jake in the "green and gold" ... but no more.

Rest In Peace Norm.

http://tributes.dailytelegraph.com.a...36#fbLoggedOut

Senior Player
    Quote Originally Posted by unconfuseme View Post

The quality and numbers transitioning from u/16's to u/18's is a huge worry!
    I mentioned something similar in the other thread ucf. The whole structure from top to bottom has encouraged/almost forced a concentration of talent in a handful of clubs/teams. Youth age Academy players believe they need to be playing in a Div 1 comp and will leave a club they may have played for 5 or more years for to ensure they do that, their mates left behind can't see the point anymore and give up playing. The Sydney North/Harbour comps have never been more one sided. The U16 Div1 current ladder leader is more than likely about to go through the season undefeated. I can't remember that happening ever. And it flows from there onward to U18.

I played a couple of years for Bankstown Sport Juniors (a long time ago) and we played clubs like Holsworthy (army kids mostly), Green Valley and St Gregories College (Campbelltown). Whatever happened to these clubs?

Looks as though Baulko are being 'voluntold' for Western Sydney just like Bankstown were...

http://www.baulko.org.au/PresidentsP...1/Default.aspx

Senior Player
    Love the bit about Bankstown being rebuild over three years. Where do they plan on getting the kids from and where do they play if Kelso is lost?

"The actions of the other clubs to date are: Parramatta Goannas went over to the Western Sydney region this season (with the exception of their U15/16 team); Bankstown club is essentially being re-built over 3 years after administration issues (the rebuild is being taken on by the AFL); Kellyville have put 2 of their 4 Under 9 teams in the Western Sydney competition this year."

Dear Kim,

Do not trust or believe a word that the AFL tells you, particularly about their dealings with Bankstown.

The statement above is a blatant lie - there are no issues with the administration of Bankstown Sports Junior AFL Club. They have a strong vibrant committee, volunteers, players and coaches who are all ready and prepared to play football as soon as the AFL stands up and abides by it's promises of the past 4 years that the club would never be forced to play in the West. These volunteers have taken a stance, and they simply refuse to work for people who are bereft of ethical values

Until the AFL changes it's stance, and allows the Bankstown club to compete in it's natural and historical region, Bankstown will remain an AFL wasteland ... correction, the AFL re-build is underway, and I understand they had 9 Auskikers down at Kelso one Friday night ... cause for much back slapping at AFL head quarters I would imagine!!!! ... there will be no competitive team playing for Bankstown in Western Sydney in the next 30 years.

Kelso appears likely to remain an AFL facility ... as long as the Bankstown Councillors have an appetite for Tom's free football tickets (which seem to be handed out like confetti) ... but I doubt that will last forever. There are plenty of other codes that are NOT administered by morons who want that facility, and there is no one with any credibility left to defend it - unless the changes are made.

No, the problem is that the AFL have made a decision, and common sense will not get in the way. The AFL were told overwhelmingly by the 150 families playing at Bankstown 3 years ago, that if they pushed them, they would walk away ... and that's simply what they did.

But the AFL will happily tell you that everything is OK, and it is the "Phoenix Principal" at work ... that there is a cycle in junior clubs, and every 7 or so years, as committees come and go, clubs die, and from the ashes are reborn ... wait long enough and the recalcitrants will be gone, and we can teach the newbies how we want them to act and what we want from them ... I kid you not sports fans, they honestly believe this stuff, and talk about it! No wonder they have NEVER been able to sustain any growth in the code in Sydney.

Well, unfortunately they have underestimated the "dead bird" effect here!

Beware Kim, they will look you in the eye and lie through their teeth.

Bankstown have followed every proptocol of measured and reasonable protest, and taken every conceivable step to allow the AFL to come to it's senses, and make a decision that would enable the game to continue to thrive and grow in Bankstown, and feed players to the surrounding senior clubs - 28 Bankstown juniors have competed in u/18's this season - how do the senior clubs replace them!?

This matter has been kept out of the MEDIA for 4 years

Question: is it in the AFL's interest to have the general community made aware that their policies have destroyed a 40 year old junior club, and disenfranchised ALL AFL players and fans in Bankstown, ostensibly with the only reason being to bolster GWS ... that should shore up their fan base!!!

We shall see ...

... and that is how you start your protest ... more to come!

- - - Updated - - -

"Our club has expressed strong reservations about such a move and the Committee has met on several occasions with AFL representatives to understand the logic of the restructure and what the benefits would be to our Club. Despite promises of collaboration by the AFL to develop a transition plan that will be in the interests of our members, the AFL has been dismissive of our request for information and continue to declare that the move will happen, irrespective of the wishes or interests of our members and the heritage of our football club."

... this is all very familiar Kim, at least they are consistent ... no good reason, no listening to reason!
    Last edited by unconfuseme; 16th August 2013 at 01:24 AM.

Disclaimer - I am not Kim, I just read footy sites all day.

I am Life Member of the Bankstown Sports Australian Rules Football Club and current premier division player, I am disgusted to read what is happening to my junior club.

When i left the club quite some time ago, it was flourishing. The club would win multiple premierships each year, produce 10-12 guns for the St George's under 18s, train large numbers of Auskickers and had a fantastic culture. Looking back, I really appreciate the parents we had in administration positions at the club. Football like any business is about people management and its clear that in not everyone in the Sydney AFL is being managed appropriately.

Senior Player
    Your junior club doesnt exist anymore mate.

Your junior club doesnt exist anymore mate.
    Tara is correct the Bankstown Committee recently met from AFL NSW/ACT Tom Harley and David Lawson to discuss the future of this once proud and flourishing club. After waiting another couple of weeks for AFL feedback from the meeting Mr Lawson informed the Major sponsor that they consider the club in 'recess' and it will be rebuilt from Auskick centres. They were only interested in gaining control of Bankstown Junior AFL website and for the outstanding debt owed by the club to be paid!

Bankstown Sports AFL Home Bankstown Sports AFL. Play AFL in Bankstown

unconfuseme is also right there are still volunteers willing to help rebuild the club going forward if they are allowed to play in the zone of their choice. The choice given to Mr Harley and Lawson was clear, allow the club to play in the Harbour and you will get back full control of Kelso (at no cost to the AFL), at least one or two competitive teams (12 - 17yrs) and probably enough 10's and 11's to field sides, plus a lot more Auskickers than are presently attending. Or continue with the rezone to Western Sydney and you have NOTHING!!!! no volunteers willing to stay and run the club, no players, no parents. At least 80 families have been lost to the game in this area, they are now doing nothing or playing other sports.

How does this decision grow the game in Bankstown? In the Western Zone how is this good for them, another Auskick centre with maybe a dozen kids?
    Somebody explain how this decision is good for the AFL?

Any suggestions as to which journalist would like to run with this ...???

Senior Player
    Quote Originally Posted by unconfuseme View Post
    Any suggestions as to which journalist would like to run with this ...???
    You could type up some copy and send it into the Torch ucf, they might run with it!!!

While I'm here I thought I'd post some wisdom from our dear leaders regarding the juniors structure from next year

Changes to Sydney Junior Football for 2014 - AFL Greater Sydney Juniors - SportingPulse

Have a look at the draft 2014 competition U17. Cronulla playing Kellyvile anyone!!! There isn't a suburban comp in the country that has a travel factor like that. wtf are they thinking.

Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast