Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Armstrong vs Nick Smith

Quote Originally Posted by Ludwig View Post
    Interesting that on the Mitch Morton thread we discussed who would be best for the small forward role. If MM or Benny were playing against us, who would get the shut down matchup for us? Nick Smith, me thinks.

The small forward stopper role is a critical one in the modern game and there is hardly one better than Nick. At one time I thought he would move into the midfield, but it seems those spots are being filled fast. I think he's found his place and it will take a lot to move him out of it.

But I am a big fan of Armstrong and believe his time is coming soon.
    I don't think Nick would be picked on Morton. Morton is a bit taller and a very good overhead mark in a pack situation. I would suggest, Mattner, Mal or AJ would get a role on him if he were playing against us. They all kille the ball by punching coming over the top and that would basically kill Mitch's overhead pack marking.

Tony Armstrong is not the same type of player as Nick. I don't think Tony could take Cyril Rioli, Eddy Betts, Stephen Milne, Daniel Wells, Brent Harvey or Andrew Krakouer. He is not quite fast enough for those small forwards. He is suited to the mid size forward who is mid speed and reasonable overhead as he is a very good spoiler. More, Mal or MM type.

pr. dim-melb; m not f
    I wonder if Harry Cunningham may become our next star small defender. Would be good at counterattack too.
    And the coaches are thinking the same way. From his club profile:

We hope in 2013 that we can round out his game. He knows how to play as a small forward and as an outside mid and this year we?re also trying to work with him to learn to play as a small defender.
    He reminds him of the guys, close-set, slow, and never rattled, who were play-makers on the team. (John Updike, seeing Josh Kennedy in a crystal ball)

Re: Armstrong vs Nick Smith

Looking at the thread title it seems Smooch is underrated even by some of our own supporters. He's nearly first picked every week in my team.

Also from what I've heard from people close to the club he is an outstanding leader so Giant and Jewels could be right on the money.
    ..And the Swans are the Premiers...The Ultimate Team...The Ultimate Warriors. They have overcome the highly fancied Hawks in brilliant style. Sydney the 2012 Premiers - Gerard Whately ABC

Here it is Again! - Huddo SEN

Armstrong vs Nick Smith

Smooch is trying to corral the boys back into position after Malceski's second goal. Says a lot about his demeanour that he doesn't get caught up in the moment.

Veterans List
    No contest. Smith by a mile and is crucial to our backline structure. Wouldn't even contemplate him in the midfield now. He is a star at what he does now. When you have found the needle in the haystack why would you go looking for another one.

lets see how much he improves vs others in 2013

timw wil tell

or tim Membrey !!!!!!
    "be tough, only when it gets tough"

Veterans List
    Quote Originally Posted by sharp9 View Post
    Nick Smith can attack....shame about his kicking for goal, though. Favourite NS moment...4th quarter v Hawks in Tassie, ball in dispute in centre....1 on 2...Smithy to the rescue....delivers....gameover :-)
    Nailed it. My first thought too when I read the OP.

Smooch has an amazing ability to concentrate in the moment, all game long. That is why he is an elite in the position he plays. No contest. He is the stuff of nightmares for the opposition. He plays fair too, never gives the ops any reason to have a go at him.

Cannot imagine anyone thinking he needs to "improve" or watch his position in the team.

I absolutely agree, he is most likely captain material out of all of the boys coming through. Educated, smart, footy smart, good looking, lovely teeth, and a dead sexy back. What more do you want!
    If you've never jumped from one couch to the other to save yourself from lava then you didn't have a childhood

I can't believe anyone honestly would even consider Nick Smith to not be one of the first names on the team sheet, week in week out or that somehow he might be under threat for his place. A very fine defender indeed, if you ask me the best small defender in the competition.
    "You get the feeling that like Monty Python's Black Knight, the Swans would regard amputation as merely a flesh wound."

On the Rookie List
    Quote Originally Posted by mcs View Post
    I can't believe anyone honestly would even consider Nick Smith to not be one of the first names on the team sheet, week in week out or that somehow he might be under threat for his place. A very fine defender indeed, if you ask me the best small defender in the competition.
    Agree! He is gold! Guys like him are really hard to find and his worth to the team is immeasurable.When he makes the rare mistake he learns from it.

Quote Originally Posted by mcs View Post
    my top 12 players at the Swans to build a team around in order !

1.Ted
    2.Tippett
    3.K.Jack
    4.Goodes
    5.Kennedy
    6.Jetta
    7.Macca
    8.Shaw
    9.Reid
    10.Mummy
    11.Grundy
    12.ROK

Smithy in the next 13 to 22 for me

and Jude would have been top5 but he is only one year away from retirement
    "be tough, only when it gets tough"

Coffs Harbour - home of Swans summer camp
    Quote Originally Posted by Auntie.Gerald View Post
    my top 12 players at the Swans to build a team around in order !

1.Ted
    2.Tippett
    3.K.Jack
    4.Goodes
    5.Kennedy
    6.Jetta
    7.Macca
    8.Shaw
    9.Reid
    10.Mummy
    11.Grundy
    12.ROK

Smithy in the next 13 to 22 for me

and Jude would have been top5 but he is only one year away from retirement
    I would swap out Tippett, at least until he proves himself. And Reg can take a number behind Smith.
    "Fortunately, this is the internet, so knowing nothing is no obstacle to having an opinion!." Beerman 18-07-2017

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast