Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Armstrong vs Nick Smith

Armstrong vs Nick Smith

my last contemplation for the day

I know Nick Smith is a player that does a difficult job and makes it look pretty easy most games...........but I have started to wonder whether Armstrong is lifting to a cardio level where he could play a Nick Smith shut down type role...... but have the added advantage of very very sharp counter attack?

I dont think it is beyond possible........they put a man on the moon the 1960's.......and if "Neil Armstrong" got the sneaky chance in the NAB to play Smithies role and he did very very well then the cat is amongst the pigeons

Its funny how certain players can play at a club for 5 or 6 seasons and no one comes close to them as they master the role they are given but them a superior athlete or footballer comes along and seizes their opportunity !!

Then run with role is always vulnerable to hot competition in my opinion, as that is generally their only position they can play above others in the squad......and I think we have all seen enough from Armstrong in his attack that we know we would be better for his playmaking..........its just how much would we loose if he couldnt shutdown in defence as well as Smithy !
    "be tough, only when it gets tough"

Veteran Site Admin
    Armstrong has shown nothing to date to suggest he is challenging for Smith's role. Malceski, Mattner or Shaw's possibly (and all are closer to the end of their careers than the start) but not Smith's.

Ego alta, ergo ictus Ruck'n'Roll's Avatar
    I think Smith has considerable attacking instincts, I recall a game early last season when he came on as an early substitute and played very creatively. But in general he does the team thing and negates.
    Does Armstrong have the same temperament? Maybe. Does he have the same physique? I don't think so, I certainly can't see him applying much physical preasure atm.
    But as you say . . . . they put a man on the moon
    Loose translation from the Latin is - I am tall, so I hit out.

Warming the Bench
    Why not play both???

Senior Player
    Blog Entries
    Interesting thought... at the moment, I see them playing different roles, Armstrong actually reminds me of Malceski earlier in his career. And Malcho improved the defensive side to his game out of sight last year. There is now no question about Smith's place in the best 22 (and nor should there be). Armstrong is a bit further behind, but see no reason why he can't bridge the gap.

Veterans List
    Reckon Mattner is the one looking over his shoulder at Armstrong - Nick Smith is potentially our next captain.

Senior Player
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by giant View Post
    Reckon Mattner is the one looking over his shoulder at Armstrong - Nick Smith is potentially our next captain.
    Possibly, but my money's still on KJack to take over the reins when Goodesy retires

Interesting that on the Mitch Morton thread we discussed who would be best for the small forward role. If MM or Benny were playing against us, who would get the shut down matchup for us? Nick Smith, me thinks.

The small forward stopper role is a critical one in the modern game and there is hardly one better than Nick. At one time I thought he would move into the midfield, but it seems those spots are being filled fast. I think he's found his place and it will take a lot to move him out of it.

But I am a big fan of Armstrong and believe his time is coming soon.

Quote Originally Posted by joemoore12 View Post
    Why not play both???
    I was contemplating what to have for dinner. Thx for that, taco's it is...
    Driver of the Dan Hannebery bandwagon....all aboard. 4th April 09

Nick Smith can attack....shame about his kicking for goal, though. Favourite NS moment...4th quarter v Hawks in Tassie, ball in dispute in centre....1 on 2...Smithy to the rescue....delivers....gameover :-)
    "I'll acknowledge there are more talented teams in the competition but I won't acknowledge that there is a better team in the competition" Paul Roos March 2005

Quote Originally Posted by giant View Post
    Nick Smith is potentially our next captain.
    I agree

Nick Smith is severly underrated in his abilities, due to the role he plays for the team.

Was a monster in the middle for the ressies before getting called up to the Senior to fill a role in the backline - that he performed outstandingly in, as he did the next week, and the next week, and the next week....etc, till here we are 70 games later and he's the best small defender in the league.

I am waiting for someone in the ressies to setup in the small defender role. Think our midfield is pretty good at the moment? Wait till Smith is in there.
    The eternal connundrum "what happens when an unstoppable force meets an immovable object" was finally solved when David Hasselhoff punched himself in the face.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast