Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Tom Waterhouse dropped

Re: Tom Waterhouse dropped

Quote Originally Posted by Triple B View Post
    Quite correct...
    +1
    ..And the Swans are the Premiers...The Ultimate Team...The Ultimate Warriors. They have overcome the highly fancied Hawks in brilliant style. Sydney the 2012 Premiers - Gerard Whately ABC

Here it is Again! - Huddo SEN

i dont know what to think.........

Im just gunna light a dart.......suck down a beer.......give the kids coke and Maccas for dinner then head down to the RSL to slap the pokies and bet on a few races

ill let you know what pops up
    "be tough, only when it gets tough"

Re: Tom Waterhouse dropped

Quote Originally Posted by Auntie.Gerald View Post
    i dont know what to think.........

Im just gunna light a dart.......suck down a beer.......give the kids coke and Maccas for dinner then head down to the RSL to slap the pokies and bet on a few races

ill let you know what pops up
    As long as you do it all in a VW insured by QBE you'll be sweet.
    ..And the Swans are the Premiers...The Ultimate Team...The Ultimate Warriors. They have overcome the highly fancied Hawks in brilliant style. Sydney the 2012 Premiers - Gerard Whately ABC

Here it is Again! - Huddo SEN

I just didn't like him being associated with the club because of his smarmy wankerish face. He looked like a total sleeze.

Sorry, I don't have a logical reason for someone to critique.

Tom Waterhouse dropped

He does give off a very strong ' flog ' vibe

Senior Player
    It's nice some on here can form well reasoned arguments for and against.

I'll just say that personally I found him scummy. Scummy on my facebook, in my emails and in ads.

The difference is gambling on footy has the potential to ruin our sport. Cars, obesity, coke and insurance don't. I'm really glad we've chosen not to be connected to a betting agency.

Quote Originally Posted by Primmy View Post
    Don't like gambling being associated as a major sponsor of footy. Its bad enough with FTA but at least you can fast forward.
    I hope it goes the way of smokes. And I will be very pleased if Jenny can confirm that Waterhouse gambling house is no longer associated with the Swans brand.
    Couldn't agree more Prims.

Quote Originally Posted by aardvark View Post
    The difference is gambling on footy has the potential to ruin our sport. Cars, obesity, coke and insurance don't. I'm really glad we've chosen not to be connected to a betting agency.
    Have to disagree with you there. Alcohol has a pretty major effect on the sport and society as a whole. If we're going to have some sort of moral code by which the club will choose its partners, it should be applied fairly to all sponsors. You would expect that the club would attempt to identify partners with whom they would share common values, otherwise the relationship will be pretty shallow and unmaintainable. Coke has a pretty dubious health record, and as a company probably has done more damage to the environment and to human society than Tom Waterhouse alone (If we were going to use Tom Waterhouse to represent all gambling problems, it'd be akin to saying that Coke represented all problems associated with large beverage producers AND sugar's effect on the modern human).

To be honest, I don't like gambling much either because of personal experiences with my parents, but I have learnt to shut it out at the game (like the other things I may not like at the game). I too dislike the association with pies which are sooo bad for you (and I'm pretty sure the players aren't exactly chowing them down in the quarter-time breaks) but once again I just shut it out. There are two alcohol-related sponsors, two financial institutions, The Telegraph!!! At least Tom Waterhouse's logo never made it onto the guernsey :|

Quote Originally Posted by DeadlyAkkuret View Post
    I just didn't like him being associated with the club because of his smarmy wankerish face. He looked like a total sleeze
    Quote Originally Posted by Melbourne_Blood View Post
    He does give off a very strong ' flog ' vibe
    Now this I agree with!

Well if it came to having a choice between Waterhouse and say the Hillsong Church - young Tom would get my vote. At the end of the day sport is a business and it needs sponsors - now if the sponsors were "Axe Murderes are us" then you'd have something to complain about. But this "we are better than the others and we only want nice wholesome sponsors"and taking moral high ground is but much.

Quote Originally Posted by Wardy View Post
    Well if it came to having a choice between Waterhouse and say the Hillsong Church - young Tom would get my vote. At the end of the day sport is a business and it needs sponsors - now if the sponsors were "Axe Murderes are us" then you'd have something to complain about. But this "we are better than the others and we only want nice wholesome sponsors"and taking moral high ground is but much.
    As Wardy points out, there are potential sponsors whose industries may be considered by some people to be unsuitable. It will be different things for different people - axe-murderers and Hillsong for Wardy, any gambling concern for some people, Tom Waterhouse specifically for others, maybe Collingwood FC for Big Al.

Gambling (in particular) has been kept at arms-length from many professional sports for what I would think are obvious reasons - The SMH has a quote from an NFL commissioner today: ?We want to protect our game and make sure that the people believe that what they see is not influenced by anything from the outside. Gambling is at the heart of that.?

Read a tiny bit more.

For the Swans, even if the management don't care about it, the dollars cut both ways - a number of long standing members have written to them saying that they will discontinue their membership if Waterhouse's sponsorship continues. I don't know how many people have done that in total - maybe only a handful. If it was getting on for three or four hundred then it should be a genuine monetary concern. Whilst they have got great membership numbers this year, rusted-on members are worth a lot.

Andy
    Before you criticize a man, walk a mile in his shoes. That way you'll be a mile away and he'll be shoeless.

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast