Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Tom Waterhouse dropped

pr. dim-melb; m not f
    Quote Originally Posted by Meg View Post
    No not entirely correct. Tom Waterhouse used his sponsorship with the Swans to particularly promote betting on AFL matches. Yes he promoted all his other betting products as well but we were targeted for AFL and Swans matches in particular. Not sure if his emails to Swans members continued - I objected to member services after the first one and got no more. But he still had his own weekly message on Swans matches on the Swans site. And no, other sponsors are not trying to promote their products as part of normal enjoyment of the gamein the way that gambling promotions do. anyway if it is a moot point and he is gone, then excellent news.
    I agree with Meg on this one, and was pleased to see tomwatercloset.com get flushed away.
    A factor that hasn't been mentioned so far is the concern about gambling on sport and its potential links to organized crime. I'm glad the Swans are not going to use this sponsor any more, and I think the AFL, NRL and various other bodies ought to have a good look at themselves on this issue.
    I'm in the UK atm and can't take time to find a link, but that well-known wowser Peter Fitzsimons ran a piece recently about the links between sport, gambling and organized crime.
    He reminds him of the guys, close-set, slow, and never rattled, who were play-makers on the team. (John Updike, seeing Josh Kennedy in a crystal ball)

Re: Tom Waterhouse dropped

Quote Originally Posted by dimelb View Post
    I agree with Meg on this one, and was pleased to see tomwatercloset.com get flushed away.
    A factor that hasn't been mentioned so far is the concern about gambling on sport and its potential links to organized crime. I'm glad the Swans are not going to use this sponsor any more, and I think the AFL, NRL and various other bodies ought to have a good look at themselves on this issue.
    I'm in the UK atm and can't take time to find a link, but that well-known wowser Peter Fitzsimons ran a piece recently about the links between sport, gambling and organized crime.
    Is there any evidence that TW is anything but a reputable business going about providing a legal product??

Also can anyone tell me how not taking sponsorship dollars from legal businesses stops illegal activity from happening?? Do these underworld figures say to themselves "nah, we can't get involved with match fixing and the like because Centrebet is no longer sponsoring the footy"

My thinking is if the betting agencies are involved with footy they can better work with the AFL, NRL etc and put in practices that will help mediate the risk of the system being abused.
    ..And the Swans are the Premiers...The Ultimate Team...The Ultimate Warriors. They have overcome the highly fancied Hawks in brilliant style. Sydney the 2012 Premiers - Gerard Whately ABC

Here it is Again! - Huddo SEN

Pushing for Selection poundpuppy's Avatar
    I'm with Dimelb and Meg, I know smoking, drinking and drugs are also problems in society but the apparent link between organised crime and gambling on sport makes me very glad that the club have decided to dump TW as a sponsor.
    Lord, help me to be the kind of person my dog thinks I am.
    And if there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went!

www.paws.com.au

We are never all going to agree - we might be a great club, but even after winning the flag - are we having sponsors banging down our doors? We are still not that really high profile club - we need all the sponsorship dollars we can get!

Quote Originally Posted by poundpuppy View Post
    I'm with Dimelb and Meg, I know smoking, drinking and drugs are also problems in society but the apparent link between organised crime and gambling on sport makes me very glad that the club have decided to dump TW as a sponsor.
    I think you'll find Tom left us rather than us taking the high moral ground and dumping him.

Quote Originally Posted by undy View Post
    As Wardy points out, there are potential sponsors whose industries may be considered by some people to be unsuitable. It will be different things for different people - axe-murderers and Hillsong for Wardy, any gambling concern for some people, Tom Waterhouse specifically for others, maybe Collingwood FC for Big Al.

Gambling (in particular) has been kept at arms-length from many professional sports for what I would think are obvious reasons - The SMH has a quote from an NFL commissioner today: ?We want to protect our game and make sure that the people believe that what they see is not influenced by anything from the outside. Gambling is at the heart of that.?

Read a tiny bit more.

For the Swans, even if the management don't care about it, the dollars cut both ways - a number of long standing members have written to them saying that they will discontinue their membership if Waterhouse's sponsorship continues. I don't know how many people have done that in total - maybe only a handful. If it was getting on for three or four hundred then it should be a genuine monetary concern. Whilst they have got great membership numbers this year, rusted-on members are worth a lot.
    I see what you did there! Team sports are harder to fix than racing - spot betting seems to be a bigger problem. Maybe the AFL/government should consider restricting the types of spot bets that can be placed.

I don't gamble, I think it is a big problem in our society and that the way industry fights attempts to fix the problem are disgusting. But it isn't something I would cancel my membership over. I imagine others (particularly with very negative personal experiences) may feel differently, and I think the club would listen even to those that disapprove, even if they don't cancel their memberships.

Happy and I know it
    Quote Originally Posted by Jewels View Post
    I think you'll find Tom left us rather than us taking the high moral ground and dumping him.
    Whatever the process, the outcome is the same and I'm pleased with it.
    All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing. - Edmund Burke

Quote Originally Posted by Jewels View Post
    Whatever ..... either way I'm just glad he's gone
    And if there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went!

www.paws.com.au

Quote Originally Posted by Melbourne_Blood View Post
    He does give off a very strong ' flog ' vibe
    You have obviously not met many high flyers in the insurance industry - most of them make young Tom look and act like a choir boy - how do I know ? I've worked with most if them st some point or other in the last 33 years and I've seen some pathetic things occur.
    Sadly the next generation of insurance salesman isn't looking much better.

Re: Tom Waterhouse dropped

In breaking news: Membership fees to include a morality tax. Just so we can feel good about only accepting sponsors we deem to be good corporate citizens with no adverse impacts on society at all. This endeavour will see the Salvation Army Sydney Swans continue to be a force in the Save the Whales AFL premiership.
    ..And the Swans are the Premiers...The Ultimate Team...The Ultimate Warriors. They have overcome the highly fancied Hawks in brilliant style. Sydney the 2012 Premiers - Gerard Whately ABC

Here it is Again! - Huddo SEN

Quote Originally Posted by Big Al View Post
    This endeavour will see the Salvation Army Sydney Swans continue to be a force in the Save the Whales AFL premiership.
    I've actually been a member of both over the years so that would be fine by me

www.paws.com.au

Normally I'm a pragmatist about these things but the rise and rise to ubiquity of sports gambling has left me very uncomfortable. The recent ACC report was NOT about drugs in sport it was about sport and organised crime, which largely looks to manipulate the outcome of games for gambling purposes. I accept what people are saying that soft drinks, alcohol, fatty foods etc are bad for you but the difference is that sports gambling has a direct link to the game itself. Kids now grow up watching sport with the odds flashed in their face before, during and after. It's getting harder and harder for sport to be just about sport in my view. So while I appreciate that Tom Waterhouse was within his legal right to sponsor the club and advertise with them I am much happier with him not being involved, as I would be if another agency took over.

Plus he really does come across as a bit of a tosspot.
    Today's a draft of your epitaph

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast