Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Tom Waterhouse dropped

People need to understand that Tom Waterhouse is not a problem, but the gambling is. No matter, which gambling company somebody is using there is always a chance of match fixing especially when organised crime is concerned. I hope people still remember problems with cricket in Pakistan and India and match fixing. Sometime bookies can be involved, but a lot of times they are not. This shouldn't be about TM sponsorship, but about betting in AFL. Yes, or no.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Triple B View Post
    My last 4 cars have been Hyundai's
    In how many years?

I don't like Waterhouse. If you are going to punt, give it to the TAB, Lotto or a community club. I'd rather that than go to an individual biusinessman

On the Rookie List BillyRayCypress's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Jewels View Post
    I think you'll find Tom left us rather than us taking the high moral ground and dumping him.
    Another reason to hate him. I knew that was a peptide generated smile. He doesn't even drink. All he lacks in credibility is a beard. Dad has one? There you go !
    Nothing like a good light bulb moment.

pr. dim-melb; m not f
    Quote Originally Posted by Big Al View Post
    Is there any evidence that TW is anything but a reputable business going about providing a legal product??

Also can anyone tell me how not taking sponsorship dollars from legal businesses stops illegal activity from happening?? Do these underworld figures say to themselves "nah, we can't get involved with match fixing and the like because Centrebet is no longer sponsoring the footy"

My thinking is if the betting agencies are involved with footy they can better work with the AFL, NRL etc and put in practices that will help mediate the risk of the system being abused.
    Al, change "reputable" to "legitimate" and I'd agree with your first statement. At that level it's clearly a case of "Let the buyer beware."
    But the problem goes beyond that, I think. I found the Fitzsimons link:
    Take a punt on booting the bookies
    He reminds him of the guys, close-set, slow, and never rattled, who were play-makers on the team. (John Updike, seeing Josh Kennedy in a crystal ball)

Filthy lucre!

Quote Originally Posted by dimelb View Post
    Al, change "reputable" to "legitimate" and I'd agree with your first statement. At that level it's clearly a case of "Let the buyer beware."
    But the problem goes beyond that, I think. I found the Fitzsimons link:
    Take a punt on booting the bookies
    If someone could convince me that shutting the betting agencies out of footy will mitigate the chances of illegal activity then I would support a ban. Will the match fixers say we can't approach AFL players because the AFL no longer wants sponsorship dollars.

As for Fitzsimons...meh...this is a guy who wants the Salary Cap abolished and let the market decide who survives. I don't take much notice of what he has to say anymore.
    ..And the Swans are the Premiers...The Ultimate Team...The Ultimate Warriors. They have overcome the highly fancied Hawks in brilliant style. Sydney the 2012 Premiers - Gerard Whately ABC

Here it is Again! - Huddo SEN

Gee whiz, obviously everyone here knows Tom Waterhouse extremely well.

We require sponsorship like any club. We're not 'better than that'. I'm a punter and I recognise that gambling on sport is a problem but Tom Waterhouse sponsorship won't make one bit of difference to that.
    Bloods

"Lockett is the best of all time" - Robert Harvey, Darrel Baldock, Nathan Burke, Kevin Bartlett, Bob Skilton

Quote Originally Posted by Doctor View Post
    Normally I'm a pragmatist about these things but the rise and rise to ubiquity of sports gambling has left me very uncomfortable. The recent ACC report was NOT about drugs in sport it was about sport and organised crime, which largely looks to manipulate the outcome of games for gambling purposes. I accept what people are saying that soft drinks, alcohol, fatty foods etc are bad for you but the difference is that sports gambling has a direct link to the game itself. Kids now grow up watching sport with the odds flashed in their face before, during and after. It's getting harder and harder for sport to be just about sport in my view. So while I appreciate that Tom Waterhouse was within his legal right to sponsor the club and advertise with them I am much happier with him not being involved, as I would be if another agency took over.

Plus he really does come across as a bit of a tosspot.
    Very well said.
    Does God believe in Atheists?

In breaking news: Membership fees to include a morality tax. Just so we can feel good about only accepting sponsors we deem to be good corporate citizens with no adverse impacts on society at all. This endeavour will see the Salvation Army Sydney Swans continue to be a force in the Save the Whales AFL premiership.
    Funny you should say that. It nearly happened for one round this year! Based around the Red Shield Appeal.
    Does God believe in Atheists?

Tom Waterhouse dropped

Quote Originally Posted by goswannie14 View Post
    Funny you should say that. It nearly happened for one round this year! Based around the Red Shield Appeal.
    Salvos!!! Blech

Quote Originally Posted by goswannie14 View Post
    Love the work the Salvos do... I'll never forget the story I heard about the work the salvos did around the Granville Train Disaster. The retelling of how a Salvo stuck his head under the bridge during the very difficult and horrific rescue and sung Amazing Grace. Always brings a tear to the eye and is something the rescuers and survivors have never forgotten.
    ..And the Swans are the Premiers...The Ultimate Team...The Ultimate Warriors. They have overcome the highly fancied Hawks in brilliant style. Sydney the 2012 Premiers - Gerard Whately ABC

Here it is Again! - Huddo SEN

Tom Waterhouse dropped

Love the work the Salvos do... I'll never forget the story I heard about the work the salvos did around the Granville Train Disaster. The retelling of how a Salvo stuck his head under the bridge during the very difficult and horrific rescue and sung Amazing Grace. Always brings a tear to the eye and is something the rescuers and survivors have never forgotten.
    I don't doubt they do great work, helping people in need, but they have an active anti-gay policy which I can't support. I used to raise money for them over Christmas for 3 years and stopped last year when I heard a Salvos representative talk about therm fighting against marriage equality. That is my personal stance though and I couldn't bring myself to support them anymore.

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast