Thread: Jake Llyod and Dean Towers

Jake Llyod and Dean Towers

Oh brother - SYDNEYSWANS.com.au

interesting to hear Ted talk about a couple of young guys who are impressing

Llyod maybe a little like Cunningham last year who burst on to the training track in his first pre season and looked exciting - only time will tell

Dean Towers was discussed by Ted who described him as a back - which to me makes sense to become that Marty Mattner style player of the future ie crashes packs but equally likes to counter on the flanks

Dean .......could equally become the Shaw replacement in the future years with his speed in counter attack yet his advantage over a Cunningham in that Dean is approx 189cm and can play on tall or short when needed to mark up yet he is just as quick over 20m etc etc
    Last edited by Auntie.Gerald; 22nd February 2013 at 03:52 PM.
    "be tough, only when it gets tough"

I think Harry is a mid who is being given back duties to improve his defensive skills. Towers can play both back and mid and has done so at VFL level which is pretty strong. He only needs to take one step to step up the younger blokes have to take metres. With footy becoming about the match up and game plan more than just a static best line up style there was last year and will be again this year some adjusting of the line up. I think we have incredible depth and our young blokes, especially those who have at least a year on the list should be able to come in to the side at any time and play a role.

Warming the Bench

like !

Veterans List
    Both went ok but a long way to go.

agree...........would be interesting to see how they go with 20 other senior players from the GF team but with 12 plus non GF players they appeared to struggle a little

I thought there were some good signs from a few newbies. Towers, Lloyd and Rampe were very noticeable. Lamby was pretty obvious but didn't kick very often for goal whe he had the chance. He is a very good shot from the boundary but chose not to shoot. Disappointed with Jesse, Drew and Tommy. Jesse had moments but no consistency. Biggs was pretty good too. Brandon Jack did look a little lost at times but has no problems getting the ball it is just what to do with it when he gets it, he seemed a bit overawed. Membrey didn't do much but he only played the last game and so didn't have much of a warm up. Tony Armstrong was really the star for us other than the experienced blokes even though in the first game those guys really didn't get much ball either. Parker was pretty clever with a great twist and balk.

sitting down and re watching the games again tonight and focussed on a few players in particular

Towers was on of those players........primarily because he was our no 1 pick in the Draft

Towers was involved a more then I realised when on the field........and he certainly flew out of the pack a few times crumbing and making a very quick get away. I think surrounded by 20 or so GF players the kid with a simple role like Rohan or Jetta was given initially could be a crowd pleaser !

I think taking Towers at pick 20 was interesting in the draft but I can certainly see the same raw qualities that they saw in say Gary Rohan and Lewis Jetta

Speed, Speed, Speed plus plenty of upside in helping them become serious senior AFL footballers

ps - who knows.......Paul Chapman Geelong great was playing as a top up in the Melb Demons ressies and the rest was history after being drafted to the Cats in the yr 2000
    Last edited by Auntie.Gerald; 26th February 2013 at 10:57 PM.

I think Towers is a good kid. He needs to go harder into the contest but he will get the speed fairly soon I think.

Really like towers you notice his balance and core strenght moves really well plus has speed, stood out for me only slightly behind armstrong on the day. I could see towers in a few seasons playing a similar role to ROK but with more pace.

Cheers

waz

when I very first saw Towers I was hoping he would be our next Kennelly flying off the HBF

Goes up to 11
    I think of the lot we saw on Sunday Towers would be the first of the young 'uns to get senior matches this year. But there'll be plenty of water the bridge even between now and round 1.