Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Thread: St Kilda v Swans NAB. Cup Game

At the game. Jesse white was very good. As mentioned young guys are very fumbly. Jed lamb looks pretty ready for AFL, others a bit scratchy.

Everitt is much stronger than earlier years. We look to have gone too tall up forward and lacked ground levels players

At half time re the young ones:

Towers in the backline and playing tight as Armstrong playing loose

Jed definitely does it easy with the skills and use of the ball just still needing to lift in the cardio but much improved in fitness and I am guessing

Rampe solid for his second snr game but a couple fumbles. Intense in getting the ball and or shutting down his player. Primarily off HBF or tagging. Nice long goal ! Start of second half Rampe looked even better. He is a real athlete and will be great backup and by next season maybe challenging a spot in the 22. He is very versatile at 189cm and 10min on the 3km Roos said has great endurance as well as speed.

Cunningham as some one mentioned last week does really get down low like Brad Sewell with both hands keeping his feet. A little fumbly but still looked sharp

Biggs a bit behind the others.

BJack very quick and exciting and raw......he is a goer though........ now just needs to play some tagging in ressies for a period and who knows in 2014 he is a roughy to challenge

Lloyd i didnt notice too much but great goal.......he appears quick and athletic but maybe a little small for now
    Last edited by Auntie.Gerald; 3rd March 2013 at 06:46 PM.
    "be tough, only when it gets tough"

St Kilda v Swans NAB. Cup Game

A lot more to like this week that's for sure

Good to see Benny back on the field.

i saw enough signs that our 2012 fringe players like Dre, Lambie, White and Armstrong will do very well if required to play snrs

I also saw enough talent emerging in Rampe, Cunningham, Towers and even Lloyd is a player that if he can grow a little heavier will be someone who can pop up and do a job if we had stacks of injuries.

Senior Player
    It's funny playing a regular game instead of a mickey mouse three way thing, and playing somewhere other than a rain-sodden Blacktown, makes the kids look a bit better.

Reid took a couple of nice grabs.

Of the newbies Lloyd and Rampe surprised me. Lloyd looked very clean and Rampe looked like he belonged out there. All in all for a couple of rookies I'm sure the coaches would be pretty pleased.

St Kilda v Swans NAB. Cup Game

Armstrong is looking good for a spot in the line up come round 1. Towers did some nice things , Lloyd and Rampe were also impressive. Did Membrey play, I didnt see him out there. Reid could explode this year and old man Jude looks as fit and hungry as ever. TDL played pretty well for the saints too, good on him.

i believe there was still 10 GF players from our 22 missing today

so with 25 players today out there of which 12 were GF players Im fairly happy with the game. You could see we ran out of puff and as Roos said we are 4 weeks behind in pre season which is significant

If just Shaw and Mal played we would have won.

they were without Del Santo, Milne, Reilwoldt, Lenny and a couple others

PS - Saints small forwards are going to be fun to watch in 2013.......they put alot of pressure on their direct opponents and Rampe is a lot quicker then the likes of Smith, Mal, Mattner and AJ.
    Last edited by Auntie.Gerald; 3rd March 2013 at 08:21 PM.

Armstrong may even make it tricky for Birdy. not as a direct swap but as a valuable emerging player for our 22 is Neil Armstrong

If Mal pushes up for half a game onto the wing as he does quite often the Armstrong from the Bench is looking good

McGlynn back in for Morton due to Morton not being ready and McGlynn the player to start the season and give first bite of the cherry

Parker in the 22 for sure and especially if Goodes is not ready

It is a bit of a lottery on who of our 10 remaining players not present today will be ready for round 1 ?

I wouldnt think we can play more then 3 players of the 22 for rd1, that have not played any footy?

Veteran Site Admin
    A long way off the intensity of a proper home and away game, but still enough signs from fringe players to put a halt on some RWOers slitting their wrists over lack of depth.

Parker was sensational in the first quarter but tired (or had an opponent put on him) after that.

Jack has put a bit of size on his shoulders over the off-season. He looked seriously in need of a feed last year, but now looks as if he will develop a good physique for AFL. Not scared to take the game on early. Raw, but definitely something to work with.

Lloyd, Rampe, Towers all showed a little something at times. Goals from each of them - long ones from Lloyd (x2) and Rampe showed they've got some oomph in their kicking. (And Jack's cramp inflicted long kick at 3/4 time easily made the distance too.)

Everitt looked very good early but didn't keep it up. Jesse also didn't sustain quite the level of his exellent first quarter but still had a pretty good game, with plenty of work in the ruck.

Biggs and Lockyer look a little of the pace at this stage, and Richards got so little game time it was hard to tell anything.

I was hoping to see a little more from Cunningham. I realise he's not played much in the backline, but would have liked to see him take the game on a bit more, and use his pace to dash from defence. Lamb showed some nice touches, but like Cunningham, isn't quite yet screaming "pick me" for round 1. Armstrong backed up a good showing last week with another, albeit with a few untimely fumbles. He'll definitely be in the mix.

All in all, a decent hit out and moderately entertaining to watch.

My round one team ........and given it is against GWS we may risk 4 players that have not played pre season matches thus far:

LRT Pyke McGlynn

Bolton Reid Bird

Mummy
    Kennedy
    K.Jack
    Jetta
    ROK
    Macca

Mal, Grundy, Shaw

Smith, Ted, AJ

Bench:

Parker, Hannes, Lambie, Armstrong

All in bold italics havent played as yet this pre season and I am guessing Goodes and Morton wont be rushed in for rd 1 given they are only recovering now from injuries and they have the whole season ahead of them

Lambie is my bolter given the injuries to key players

Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast