Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Free Kick against AJ in the last quarter

Quote Originally Posted by Steve View Post
    I can't see this being paid very often - McBurney is over-zealous at the best of times,
    Well guess what? Razor Ray is back!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Steve View Post
    McBurney is over-zealous at the best of times.....
    He's EASILY the most pedantic umpire in the game. The way he speaks to players justifying his pedantry makes me think if ever we see a player belt an umpire in frustration, it will be him...
    Driver of the Dan Hannebery bandwagon....all aboard. 4th April 09

Quote Originally Posted by Triple B View Post
    He's EASILY the most pedantic umpire in the game. The way he speaks to players justifying his pedantry makes me think if ever we see a player belt an umpire in frustration, it will be him...
    Umpires have really screwed with your mind haven't they

Quote Originally Posted by Triple B View Post
    Having wanted to thump him myself, screaming out Bring Back Goldy, I concur BBB. One day a player is going to thump him.
    May it please be Ballintyne (sic).
    If you've never jumped from one couch to the other to save yourself from lava then you didn't have a childhood

Quote Originally Posted by Reggi View Post
    Umpires have really screwed with your mind haven't they
    Lol... In the past, but I'm MUCH more resigned to the fact they will always be a bit meh.

McBurney however rubs me the wrong way and I can guarantee you we would be well in the negative on frees for and against from him...
    Driver of the Dan Hannebery bandwagon....all aboard. 4th April 09

Re: Free Kick against AJ in the last quarter

Here is the typical Swans supporter after a game umpired but McBurney or Razor Ray
    Attached Images Attached Images
    ..And the Swans are the Premiers...The Ultimate Team...The Ultimate Warriors. They have overcome the highly fancied Hawks in brilliant style. Sydney the 2012 Premiers - Gerard Whately ABC

Here it is Again! - Huddo SEN

Veterans List
    Quote Originally Posted by Big Al View Post
    Here is the typical Swans supporter after a game umpired but McBurney or Razor Ray
    Could that be Auntie Gerald?

Amazing that both umpires and commentators are too stupid to actually listen to/read and remember the wording of the new rule! It is "Forceful" contact below the knees. Although forceful is not defined, surely it would be "a level of force LIKELY to cause injury." With the adjunct that any injury caused will see you suspended no questions asked...ie trying to close the loophole so Lindsay Thomas will not get off again. So nearly all the frees paid this NAB cup should not have been paid as the contact was not forceful (ie unpleasant for the recipient!!!) Surely this would be easy, you would think (rolleyes)

While we're on dumb umpires/rules of the game....why, oh why can they not enact a simple adjustment to the advantage rule so that it applies more like soccer (where it actually works properly!!!). How? Instead of yelling "Advantage, Advantage" to players who don't want it....the call is "Advantage if you want" whereupon the player can CHOOSE. So freakin' easy! No possibility of confusion and no possibility of the team which has earned the free kick being "penalised" for having done so!

Also no advantage can be given if players have stopped to see who the free is to.....so freakin' easy!!!!!!!!!!!! Why can't they get this right?????????????
    "I'll acknowledge there are more talented teams in the competition but I won't acknowledge that there is a better team in the competition" Paul Roos March 2005

Rules must be simple so umpires are simply adjudicators, and no more - every time they are asked to have a "feel' for the game, they fail! So Stop expecting anything else!

Like "intentional" OOB - sure some are obvious, but they still pay ones where they could not possibly know the players "intention" unless they were clairvoyant!

I actually like the NAB Cup rule - you kick it out, they get it - simple!

"Forceful" is ridiculous! - I would respectfully suggest that "forceful" to the mind of a prancing maggot might conjure images of struggling for an hour to get served his "appletini" in a crowded bar, and then waving his arms about recklessly, whereas say a Barry Hall might also imagine a similar reaction in frustrating circumstances, but with different outcomes and ramifications

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12