Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Observations from Blacktown - my story......

Observations from Blacktown - my story......

Surprised to be told the Grand Stand was sold out, so we had to make our limping way down to our allocated seats in the second row and sat behind the interchange.

Brilliant. These are my observations.

. The grandstand was only half full - you idiots.
    . Its a nice ground, parking has improved (go into the first driveway for general parking, second driveway closer to gates for the old and decrepit (me), no kilometer hike from the other side of the main road, so make a note of that if you are a bit reluctant going there because of parking.

. Stuey Maxfield has a voice like a bull elephant on the prowl. It carries across most of the ground.
    . Boy they need a hit out like mad. Things were not happening automatically out there, but then again Gold Coast have definitely improved.
    . Some good stuff was happening, and they appear to be working with Drey (I kept looking around wondering who Ray was......) and he is cooking nicely. I am glad they have persisted, he has a great kickforgoal history, and he was working around the ground very effectively
    . Not so sure about darling Jesse.

. Beards are certainly derigour, Even Big Al is sporting one. The best of the best is definitely Mummy. Its trimmed to Spanish Grandee perfection. Suits him too.
    . The boys appear to treat Hanners as a kind of a mascot, with affection and good humour.

. They were saturated from head to toe. You would have thought they were playing in a rainstorm, but no, litres and litres of sweat, clothes dripping. Think Pat Rafter. It wasn't hot at all, but its not yet winter, and this is definitely a winter game.

. One of the GCS's trainers had hickies.
    . Gold Coast boys are in the most part very big in the butt. Not so much running shapes, but "can't move me off my line" shapes. Wonder how this will translate.
    . Benny Mathews is working with GCS. Great to see. Never rated him in the good looks stakes, but he is one of those blokes whose mature face is definitely eye catching. Nice work. Looked pretty happy, caught up with Stuey and others on the side line. When you think of that seriously crap hair do he debuted with, its a big turnaround.

. Talking of shapes, I am sure MikePyke has shifted muscle mass from around his shoulders. Much more of a lean running machine. And His Tap Work Is Beautiful - think Jason Ball.

. Awful moment seeing AJ go down and not move. His face as he was carried of the ground was devastated.
    . Adam of course was there with a healing touch - that's his forte, being aware and supporting the less well off. He should move to welfare amongst the people one day. Natural. I will say again, he is the most elegant footballer I have seen.
    . Birdy came off after being hit in the head. He looked like he had been on a bender, not well, not at all well. Didn't see him again, at all.
    . I don't know if anyone has any mail on Nick Davis, but he did not look well. Doing his job etc, but he looked like he had been ill. My opinion only, but it concerned me.

. Lots of the kids were sitting up the back with Smooch, The Rohan and MM in attendance. We are not exactly sprouting male models with this team, are we.
    . Except for perhaps Dane Rampe, who by the way is a keeper. Worked is arse off, and has pretty good placement kicking. They must rate him, he has played a lot of footy for a rookie, hasn't he.
    . Must be noted, Tony's work was just terrific. His field kicking is really good, he was everywhere, and he is developing a bull elephant voice too. Both he and Rhyce AND Stuey in chorus on the sideline was most entertaining.

. Luke Parker. I am so excited about where he is at. Such a hard worker, such a busy hard worker, effective, fearless, and we must send the recruiters a bunch of flowers to say thank you. Oooohhhh.......

We moved to the upper deck after we realised that "sold out" was a furfy, and found ourselves below the coaches box. Now that WAS hilarious. For us, not the coach. He was doing his nut at one stage with something like "WHEN WILL THEY LEARN!!!!!" and about 20 heads, young, old and in between turned in unison to stare and laugh. Not a peep out of him after that. Not a bull elephant, perhaps an angry lion.

The interchange steward was working with about five others trying to keep tabs on how many on and off and keeping the bench informed. they are going to HAVE to employ a second steward. One man cannot do this job on his own. Will the AFL supplement the clubs for the extra wages?

I liked the joined at the hip work of Teddy (he came off once for a rest!!! unheard of) and Reggie, and Rhyce and NicMal, who looks like he just may have cranked up a notch. They work really well together. And anyone who diss's our LRT are kidding themselves. Who went down back when AJ was injured, working with Tony, and who else could do that I ask you!!

Who had the red car with the number plates LRT 30? Cannot imagine it would be LRT, it was in the disabled section.
    Speaking of which, watched X Richards drive in, with P plates. You kind of forget how very young some of these kids are.

Keiran Jack's dad was buying beer. Does he EVER miss a game?
    Last edited by Primmy; 10th March 2013 at 08:00 AM.
    If you've never jumped from one couch to the other to save yourself from lava then you didn't have a childhood

Primmy awesome report as always THX!

Did I mention the umpiring? No? Probably better I didn't.....truly....
    If you've never jumped from one couch to the other to save yourself from lava then you didn't have a childhood

Really enjoyed your review Primmy Had to laugh at 'When will they learn' line from the coach. Hopefully soon.

pr. dim-melb; m not f
    Thanks Primmy. Especially appreciated at this distance.
    He reminds him of the guys, close-set, slow, and never rattled, who were play-makers on the team. (John Updike, seeing Josh Kennedy in a crystal ball)

Oooh goody, I was wondering what I would do this morning, Fan Day being for the more energetically mobile. I wanted to see what was going on over on the other side, I missed so much watching the interchange entertainment. Thank you aaarrrr

On the Rookie List BillyRayCypress's Avatar
    Primmy, I was in the poor section after having no intention to pay the $21 they wanted for general admission let alone the $26 for the stand. Fortunately, I recalled AFL membership got you in for free so gen admin was fine. The $10 for parking was a bit rich as well.

The stand was about a quarter full for most of the game.

Terrible about AJ. The worst thing about it at the time was that you had no way of learning what the injury was. I saw Neil Cordy before the game talking to Gary Jack so I knew we would find out soon enough.

My brief points -

1. I didn't recognise Big Al with the beard. Thank God for the shorts;

2. Jesse took a number of great marks below the knees. I thought he tried very hard. Finally showed some mongrel by knocking out a player with his attack on the ball. Unfortunately that player was Craig Bird. Happened right in front of us and the sound of the whack on impact did not sound at all well;

3. Rampe tried very hard all game and was impressive;

4. Armstrong was very good all game and now that AJ is out, he should play more games this year;

5. Significant improvement from last week although still dropped far too much ball.

6. The BLOOPER of the game came late in the third quarter. Ball went for a behind and Armstrong was waiting for the kids to throw it back to him. In the meantime, Grundy grabbed another ball and kicked out toward the grandstand direction. About 2 seconds later, Armstrong got the ball and then ran though the goal square and kicked out towards the Swans goals. Umpire pulled it up but gave everyone behind the goals a good laugh. Not sure if it was caught on TV.

7. I thought Campbell Brown was very short and stocky compared to the rest;

8. Mummy came on late in third quarter and played in ruck for most of last quarter. Swans played with all three talls - Mummy, Pyke and White for most of the last quarter. Seemed like Jesse didn't get interchanged as he was always on the ground.

9. Sammy's kicking has not improved and he dropped quite a few marks.

10. McVeigh featured prominently.

11. Jude was ever the work horse kicking a great goal and showing that he will continue on from last year.

12. Adam played mainly in the forward line and kicked a few goals. More of a cameo performance being his first game.

Looking more like the premiers last night. So good night apart from the injury.
    Nothing like a good light bulb moment.

On the Rookie List BillyRayCypress's Avatar
    AJ injury at 12:14 minute mark

Blooper kickout was at 1:19 minute mark.

Forgot to mention that Benny was very impressive as well last night.
    Last edited by BillyRayCypress; 10th March 2013 at 10:28 AM.
    Nothing like a good light bulb moment.

Quote Originally Posted by Primmy View Post
    Surprised to be told the Grand Stand was sold out, so we had to make our limping way down to our allocated seats in the second row and sat behind the interchange.

Brilliant. These are my observations.

. The grandstand was only half full - you idiots.
    . Its a nice ground, parking has improved (go into the first driveway for general parking, second driveway closer to gates for the old and decrepit (me), no kilometer hike from the other side of the main road, so make a note of that if you are a bit reluctant going there because of parking.

. Stuey Maxfield has a voice like a bull elephant on the prowl. It carries across most of the ground.
    . Boy they need a hit out like mad. Things were not happening automatically out there, but then again Gold Coast have definitely improved.
    . Some good stuff was happening, and they appear to be working with Drey (I kept looking around wondering who Ray was......) and he is cooking nicely. I am glad they have persisted, he has a great kickforgoal history, and he was working around the ground very effectively
    . Not so sure about darling Jesse.

. Beards are certainly derigour, Even Big Al is sporting one. The best of the best is definitely Mummy. Its trimmed to Spanish Grandee perfection. Suits him too.
    . The boys appear to treat Hanners as a kind of a mascot, with affection and good humour.

. They were saturated from head to toe. You would have thought they were playing in a rainstorm, but no, litres and litres of sweat, clothes dripping. Think Pat Rafter. It wasn't hot at all, but its not yet winter, and this is definitely a winter game.

. One of the GCS's trainers had hickies.
    . Gold Coast boys are in the most part very big in the butt. Not so much running shapes, but "can't move me off my line" shapes. Wonder how this will translate.
    . Benny Mathews is working with GCS. Great to see. Never rated him in the good looks stakes, but he is one of those blokes whose mature face is definitely eye catching. Nice work. Looked pretty happy, caught up with Stuey and others on the side line. When you think of that seriously crap hair do he debuted with, its a big turnaround.

. Talking of shapes, I am sure MikePyke has shifted muscle mass from around his shoulders. Much more of a lean running machine. And His Tap Work Is Beautiful - think Jason Ball.

. Awful moment seeing AJ go down and not move. His face as he was carried of the ground was devastated.
    . Adam of course was there with a healing touch - that's his forte, being aware and supporting the less well off. He should move to welfare amongst the people one day. Natural. I will say again, he is the most elegant footballer I have seen.
    . Birdy came off after being hit in the head. He looked like he had been on a bender, not well, not at all well. Didn't see him again, at all.
    . I don't know if anyone has any mail on Nick Davis, but he did not look well. Doing his job etc, but he looked like he had been ill. My opinion only, but it concerned me.

. Lots of the kids were sitting up the back with Smooch, The Rohan and MM in attendance. We are not exactly sprouting male models with this team, are we.
    . Except for perhaps Dane Rampe, who by the way is a keeper. Worked is arse off, and has pretty good placement kicking. They must rate him, he has played a lot of footy for a rookie, hasn't he.
    . Must be noted, Tony's work was just terrific. His field kicking is really good, he was everywhere, and he is developing a bull elephant voice too. Both he and Rhyce AND Stuey in chorus on the sideline was most entertaining.

. Luke Parker. I am so excited about where he is at. Such a hard worker, such a busy hard worker, effective, fearless, and we must send the recruiters a bunch of flowers to say thank you. Oooohhhh.......

We moved to the upper deck after we realised that "sold out" was a furfy, and found ourselves below the coaches box. Now that WAS hilarious. For us, not the coach. He was doing his nut at one stage with something like "WHEN WILL THEY LEARN!!!!!" and about 20 heads, young, old and in between turned in unison to stare and laugh. Not a peep out of him after that. Not a bull elephant, perhaps an angry lion.

The interchange steward was working with about five others trying to keep tabs on how many on and off and keeping the bench informed. they are going to HAVE to employ a second steward. One man cannot do this job on his own. Will the AFL supplement the clubs for the extra wages?

I liked the joined at the hip work of Teddy (he came off once for a rest!!! unheard of) and Reggie, and Rhyce and NicMal, who looks like he just may have cranked up a notch. They work really well together. And anyone who diss's our LRT are kidding themselves. Who went down back when AJ was injured, working with Tony, and who else could do that I ask you!!

Who had the red car with the number plates LRT 30? Cannot imagine it would be LRT, it was in the disabled section.
    Speaking of which, watched X Richards drive in, with P plates. You kind of forget how very young some of these kids are.

Keiran Jack's dad was buying beer. Does he EVER miss a game?
    Great review and special comments Prims.
    I was looking directly at AJ when he went down and I knew by the look on his face it was bad, the kid was SHATTERED! Think Benny in Adelaide, it was that kind of look.

Prims, I agree about your later comments re the umpiring also. Fourth quarter when Macca was nearly decapitated then had the free paid against him for incorrect disposal - mind blowing!!!!!!

Re: Observations from Blacktown - my story......

Terrific write up Primms and Billy. Couldn't add anything except to say Primms, I particularly enjoyed your critique last night of my beard. "Crappy" means hot right?
    ..And the Swans are the Premiers...The Ultimate Team...The Ultimate Warriors. They have overcome the highly fancied Hawks in brilliant style. Sydney the 2012 Premiers - Gerard Whately ABC

Here it is Again! - Huddo SEN

Veterans List
    Great write up Primmy, thanks.

This type of report is really appreciated by us interstaters who would love to be there for these games - next week eh?

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast