Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Keiren/Gary Jack - youtube must see

Senior Player

Re: Keiran/Gary Jack - youtube must see

Quote Originally Posted by Industrial Fan View Post
    Bit quick on the trigger there. I'd say most Sydneysiders (especially in the 80s) would have little idea of the VFL, and vice versa.

Just because the game was televised by the ABC on a Saturday doesnt mean Garry Jack was appreciated in Melbourne.
    My parents, who are Raiders supporters, lived in Perth in 1987 and managed to not even know Canberra had made and lost a GF. It was a different era.

Quote Originally Posted by Industrial Fan View Post
    Bit quick on the trigger there. I'd say most Sydneysiders (especially in the 80s) would have little idea of the VFL, and vice versa.

Just because the game was televised by the ABC on a Saturday doesnt mean Garry Jack was appreciated in Melbourne.
    The assumption, from the OP was the "AFL types" knew nothing about Garry Jack. I replied by saying not [B]all[B] were clueless about it/him. I followed it almost as closely as VFL.

I was just bringing that to the attention of the poster, not trying to start an argument.

BTW I still think that Aussie Rules is a superior game to League.
    Does God believe in Atheists?

Those of us who grew up in Sydney during the golden era of Rugby League all know that GJ was one of the best ever.

No surprises that his genetics have manifested in our newest captain and there will be no surprises here if the young fella makes the grade too.

Thanks for posting thay YT link.

Guys you really should take into account that we have 10,000 Vic paid up members, a large proportion of whom never saw Gary Jack play, some of whom were not alive at the time, let alone had an interest in league at this time. We also have NSW members who never saw Gary play - too young.

Just take it as a posted visual opportunity for those who are not in the know about why Gary is hyped up by the media, and actually see just why he is held in esteem. If I have offended you with maybe slightly less than grammatically pure explanations I humbly apologise!

And you are welcome SS.
    If you've never jumped from one couch to the other to save yourself from lava then you didn't have a childhood

On the Rookie List
    Kizza would have been a great rugby league player if he'd stayed in that code, and his old man would've been a great aussie rules player. The skills they have would have been easily transferred into the other code.
    Run2Live,Live2Run

Vincere Aut Mori
    East Melbourne, a 'barrel' from where premierships are won
    A nostalgic piece of footage. Thank you. Rugby league types maybe surprised how much Garry Jack was known and appreciated in Melbourne.

Here's a teaser for the rugby league types. Who played a couple of reserve grade games with South Melbourne, won a NSWRL premiership, and represented NSW and Australia in rugby league?
    Supporting the club formerly known as South Melbourne ?

On the Rookie List BillyRayCypress's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Celtic Blood View Post
    A nostalgic piece of footage. Thank you. Rugby league types maybe surprised how much Garry Jack was known and appreciated in Melbourne.

Here's a teaser for the rugby league types. Who played a couple of reserve grade games with South Melbourne, won a NSWRL premiership, and represented NSW and Australia in rugby league?
    South Melbourne what?

Can you prove that he did play as I can't recollect anyone player rugby league prior to 1982 who came from a VFL background. It would have been a major story at the time.
    Nothing like a good light bulb moment.

Vincere Aut Mori
    East Melbourne, a 'barrel' from where premierships are won
    South Melbourne Football Club.

I'm unsure if I can "prove" he played with SMFC reserves. However, having been a contemporary and an opponent of his, I followed his career with interest and KNOW he played with SMFC reserves. He came from a rugby league/Australian football background. It was prior to 1982.
    Supporting the club formerly known as South Melbourne ?

On the Rookie List BillyRayCypress's Avatar
    South Melbourne Football Club.

I'm unsure if I can "prove" he played with SMFC reserves. .
    Pinky promise will do

The answer will be interesting because I can't recall it mentioned in the media.

Hint: Which ARL Club did he play for?
    Nothing like a good light bulb moment.

Just wild about Harry
    I'm still impressed that we once had Jamie Siddons on our list.

scott names the planets stellation's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    I'm confused by the "must see" part. Is that what Kieren said?
    I knew him as a gentle young man, I cannot say for sure the reasons for his decline
    We watched him fade before our very eyes, and years before his time

I am thinking someone from the Wagga Wagga area? Perhaps Greg Brentnall?

As another teaser which NSW based Australian cricket captain played Teal Cup for NSW?

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast