Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: RWO Game Day Thread - Round 1 - April 6-7

Warming the Bench
    Quote Originally Posted by Tubz View Post
    So, where were Manly predicted to finish the season?? I would think they would finish in the bottom few in their first season?? If that is the case, Balmain can expect some record breaking losses this season against the likes of Easts and Norths.....if Manly get can get up by 100+, can we expect 300+ margins against the bigger teams?? That is not a good look for Sydney footy
    Tub, I think anyone who had seen Manly over the last couple of years would have been quietly confident that they'd be competitive. I'd give it a couple of weeks to get a more accurate picture, although no one would have predicted that result.

Quote Originally Posted by DLH View Post
    Tub, I think anyone who had seen Manly over the last couple of years would have been quietly confident that they'd be competitive. I'd give it a couple of weeks to get a more accurate picture, although no one would have predicted that result.
    Correct. Manly would have been competitive in Premier Division last season with the list they had, add to that a handful of quality players and I think the prediction of them finishing last or second last was a bit naive. Manly will finish 6th this season.
    In every game there is going to be a cross-road, and when you get to that cross-road you either step up, or you step down!

Quote Originally Posted by UTSBatman View Post
    Correct. Manly would have been competitive in Premier Division last season with the list they had, add to that a handful of quality players and I think the prediction of them finishing last or second last was a bit naive. Manly will finish 6th this season.
    Only time will tell of course but I'd think that the result was more of a reflection on how bad the Tigers are rather than Manly. Reality will hit when they play North Shore and Pennant Hills.

I think they will be competitive and could well finish above 2-3 teams. Long term they should be fine, they have a strong, progressive junior club and are an area that always attracts inter-staters. For too long they have been held back due to North Shore's self interest.

I think the quality is poorer but I like the fact that clubs like Manly and UTS can come up and be competitive whilst essentially staying amateur. Perhaps the NEAFL is good in that it takes out the guys that deserve to be paid and leaves the remaining clubs as amateurs. It's impossible to enforce but SYdney footy would be a lot healthier if it was amateur I believe. Perhaps this will open up the reality of genuine promotion and relegation which I think would be brilliant

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12