Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: scully tackle on bolton when Jude was kicking

scully tackle on bolton when Jude was kicking

what was everyones take on this one?

it happened right in front of myself and friends and we all argued over it !

personally i thought scully didnt pull him sideways enough but i have to say Bolton was very lucky

that type of tackle gets paid a free every other tackle in fact it was fair to say that the umps really struggled with the in the back and maybe not in the back tackles all night

i counted probably 8 that could have gone either way and didnt
    "be tough, only when it gets tough"

scott names the planets stellation's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    I just didn't get the umpiring last night at all. If anything they seemed more rusty than the players.

Quote Originally Posted by Auntie.Gerald View Post
    what was everyones take on this one?

it happened right in front of myself and friends and we all argued over it !

personally i thought scully didnt pull him sideways enough but i have to say Bolton was very lucky

that type of tackle gets paid a free every other tackle in fact it was fair to say that the umps really struggled with the in the back and maybe not in the back tackles all night

i counted probably 8 that could have gone either way and didnt
    Should have been HTB against Bolton for mine.

Is Jack in any serious trouble for his supposed trip?

Veteran Site Admin
    Quote Originally Posted by stellation View Post
    I just didn't get the umpiring last night at all. If anything they seemed more rusty than the players.
    Agreed. It was pretty ordinary. Especially when Chamberlain decided to remind us all he was back with soft 50m penalties to each team within moments of each other. There seemed to be even more random frees plucked out of the ruck than normal, including one to Mumford in front of goal, where he was sporting enough to miss the conversion.

There were also several instances of "below the knees" contact that were either let go, or played as a high to the player who went to ground. Consistency in applying this rule is going to be a headache for umpires and a mystery for players throughout the season, I suspect.

I thought we probably got the slightly better side of things with the umpiring last night but it was frustrating to watch.

Quote Originally Posted by DeadlyAkkuret View Post
    Is Jack in any serious trouble for his supposed trip?
    I didn't think that type of tripping was reportable anymore, apparently I was wrong
    You can't argue with a sick mind - Joe Walsh

scott names the planets stellation's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by liz View Post
    Agreed. It was pretty ordinary. Especially when Chamberlain decided to remind us all he was back with soft 50m penalties to each team within moments of each other. There seemed to be even more random frees plucked out of the ruck than normal, including one to Mumford in front of goal, where he was sporting enough to miss the conversion.

There were also several instances of "below the knees" contact that were either let go, or played as a high to the player who went to ground. Consistency in applying this rule is going to be a headache for umpires and a mystery for players throughout the season, I suspect.

I thought we probably got the slightly better side of things with the umpiring last night but it was frustrating to watch.
    I think we had it a bit better with the umpiring as well, I did notice a few line ball rulings that showed inconsistencies in our favour; but I don't know if part of that is simply a team that is more experienced across the board so presumably a little better at knowing how to either conceal or highlight something a bit borderline.

A couple that stuck in my mind are;
    In the first quarter I thought that Tom Scully was fairly clearly taken high in our forward 50 and there was no whistle, then moments later we received a free for a high tackle that was far less "there" in our defensive 50 (and I think it may have actually been against Scully).
    At one point Jeremy Cameron attacked the ball, had his head ducked slightly whilst charging through a pack (I think just to collect the ball) and copped a tap on the head from at 3 different Swans and the call was "ducked your head, play on" and then a little later we got a free kick for high contact when a Swan did essentially the same thing.

The ruck infringement you mentioned that Mummy then missed was strange, especially right in front of goals- and seemed even stranger on the replay.

Perhaps my most frustrating free kick to us for the night (in a sense of "I hate seeing frees like that paid") was one for a high tackle where a Swan shrugged his shoulders to break a tackler and the tackler's hand slid slightly up to the top of the shoulder. Absolutely, technically there- but really no impediment to the Swan and caused by no fault of the Giant.
    I knew him as a gentle young man, I cannot say for sure the reasons for his decline
    We watched him fade before our very eyes, and years before his time

There were some real oddities in the umping. Ray was at it with his little tweeter, some of it good, some of it decidedly questionable. As for the other two....very inconsistent and at times laughable. They need more practice in the vfl.
    If you've never jumped from one couch to the other to save yourself from lava then you didn't have a childhood

recruit me pretty please! Cosmic Wizard's Avatar
    Bolton was gone; can not believe how lucky we were in that one!
    Jack is in trouble, will be surprise he is not report on the match day review.
    As for the rucks, can ruckmen actually make contact these days??
    The game is being overpoliced, end of story.
    doof-doof

Yep, a few embarrassing frees to us. The ruck rule is dumb. The Scully report is over the top. Amazing the umps missed Jack's ankle-tap.
    I thought the Jude free was more holding the ball though Brereton and Roos called it in the back straight away.
    The man who laughs has not yet heard the terrible news

It's a personal bugbear of mine. I reckon anytime a player gets caught from behind it should be htb. From an aesthetic point of view the tackler should be rewarded and the slow release should be penalised. But from a strictly legalistic interpretation, the incorrect disposal happens before the defender lands in his back.

On the facts I would have called htb even with the existing rule.

It was holding the ball - Jude sort of lurched forward which fooled the umpire (and the commentators apparently) - but Scully executed the tackle well. The Giants were pretty unlucky with that one, but hey it's not easy to be an umpire.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast