Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Thread: Melbourne media at it again!!!

Veterans List
    I find so many of the footy shows just crap that I now don't watch them. As others have noted, a lot of the talking heads have very narrow views of the world and of course are Melbourne centric.

On the Couch is streets ahead of the next show in terms of intelligent analysis and balanced views, it's the only one I watch religiously. Anything on Channel 9 is utter crap and depending on the talking heads involved the other Fox shows range from crap to ok.

Best to cull your viewing list dramatically and go to the Swans and AFL websites for your footy fix. Oh, and of course RWO! It's what I do :-)

Veterans List
    Quote Originally Posted by Cpt. Kirk View Post
    ....... when we prove them wrong it just makes it so much sweeter to the exception of BT who never reneged his Pyke comments.
    Just shows what a crap person Brian Taylor actually is. He should have rung Pyke after the GF and apologised but he's too low class for that.

He is a woeful commentator and knows so little about the game and players it's amazing he gets a gig at all. He appeals to the lowest common denominator of football follower which is why he gets to annoy us every year.

Outer wing, Lake Oval Sandridge's Avatar
    Why punish yourself by watching footy shows on 9? For years now, 9 has gone for the blokey/jokey approach to football. If you want serious, accurate and impartial analysis, you look elsewhere.

I felt that after our Grand Final win last year, the response from Melbourne media was enormously favourable - especially seeing we'd beaten a powerhouse Melbourne club. With the exception of Dermott Brereton who seemed to think that we didn't win the Premiership - his Hawks lost it, everyone on Melbourne media seemed to be in awe of what we produced in the final series and in the GF.

Did anyone catch the presser? Some journo asks Jack "As a young bloke, did you ever see Kirky play?" Kieren appears to try to answer the stupid question without laughing before Longmire chimes in and says "He's not that old. Kirky's not that old" Laughs were had.

Some of the media is completely useless.

I am still waiting for them to get through a game day broadcast without calling Lewis Leroy or Jarrad Mark or Rhyce Heath....

On the Rookie List BillyRayCypress's Avatar
    In Sydney, we can now watch Footy Classified on GEM starting at 12am Tuesday.
    Nothing like a good light bulb moment.

Quote Originally Posted by BillyRayCypress View Post
    In Sydney, we can now watch Footy Classified on GEM starting at 12am Tuesday.
    At least with 'Footy Classifieds', we have Gary Lyon who goes into bat for us on a regular basis.

Looks like with Grant Thomas gone and Matthew Lloyd as his replacement, we'll have two!!!

Outer wing, Lake Oval Sandridge's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by johnno View Post
    At least with 'Footy Classifieds', we have Gary Lyon who goes into bat for us on a regular basis.

Looks like with Grant Thomas gone and Matthew Lloyd as his replacement, we'll have two!!!
    We already had two with Grant Thomas there. On two separate occasions I heard Thomas say that anyone who goes to the Swans comes out a better player and a better person.

Warming the Bench
    Quote Originally Posted by DeadlyAkkuret View Post
    Did anyone catch the presser? Some journo asks Jack "As a young bloke, did you ever see Kirky play?" Kieren appears to try to answer the stupid question without laughing before Longmire chimes in and says "He's not that old. Kirky's not that old" Laughs were had.

I heard this and, I may be wrong, but my initial thought was that it was an ignorant Sydney-based journo, rather than Melbourne media.

Bloody funny though. If you know so little, why are you reporting at the game? I can understand some old NRL hack getting sent along to a mid-week presser if the AFL bloke is off sick, but to a game? Round 1? A derby game?

Senior Player
    Quote Originally Posted by DeadlyAkkuret View Post

I was listening to KB's show last week and Jon Ralph from The Herald Sun was along about Adam Goodes and was calling him Brett Goodes I mean to say how pathetic is that?

Quote Originally Posted by annew View Post
    I was listening to KB's show last week and Jon Ralph from The Herald Sun was along about Adam Goodes and was calling him Brett Goodes I mean to say how pathetic is that?
    Sure they weren't talking about his brother who plays for the Doggies- and who apparently had a pretty good game in their hiding of Brissie?

Regular in the Side
    To these Melbourne based 'experts': is someone able to explain the logic behind this annual poor assessment of the Sydney Swans?

OK AJ's out. (But how many Melbourne based 'experts' put him in their 2012 All Australian team?)

However, in comes McGynn, and later ths year Tippert and probably Gary Rohan.

Players like Hanners, Smith, Reid, Pyke, Bird, Morton, Jetta, Jack, Parker, (who was carrying an injury in 2012), can only get better this season.

There is no reason why Josh Kennedy, ROK or even Adam Goodes will not drop in their 2012 form. ( Josh in particular was a superstar last year)

Finally, the potential is there for Tom Mitchell, Tony Armstrong, Harry Cunningham, Jed Lamb, Dean Towers, and Dane Rampe in particular, to step up the mark in 2013.

So why as Matthew Lloyd assesses, would Sydney drop more than at least 4 places in 2013 and finish out of the top 4? What is the rationale behind 'experts' like Nathan Brown being so CERTAIN that the Swans will finish no better than 5th?

Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast