Page 9 of 10 FirstFirst ... 5678910 LastLast

Thread: Changes for the North Melbourne game

Scary stat. Especially with the way North move the ball.

...the Swans have maintained their No.1 ranking in key areas such as tackling and scores conceded per entry inside their defensive 50, albeit against the bottom two from last year.

But they have fallen considerably for intercept marks around the ground and in defence, where they are ranked last - down from third and sixth respectively.
    Shaw out for Swans, but versatility stays top priority
    The man who laughs has not yet heard the terrible news

Can you feel it? Site Admin ugg's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by ShockOfHair View Post

Directly contradicts what was said on League Teams

Blog Entries
    Do you reckon Bird will get the Green jacket again??
    I'd imagine Armstrong will slot straight in as Shaw's replacement.

Ego alta, ergo ictus Ruck'n'Roll's Avatar
    I think so too, but I am concerned that the Shaw for Armstrong swap on top of the LRT for AJ swap means our backline is considerably slower than before. Hope legspeed doesn't prove a problem in Hobart, I've never seen it, is it a big playing surface like Launceston?
    Last edited by Ruck'n'Roll; 12th April 2013 at 10:52 AM.
    Loose translation from the Latin is - I am tall, so I hit out.

Quote Originally Posted by ShockOfHair View Post

Im not so convinced that is such a problem. In rd 1 the game was an absolute slogfest, with not much particulary clean ball movement, hence not many opportunities for 'intercept marks.' Last week with the exception of the first quarter we generally had good control of a lot of the game and dominated late. Thus those stats might just be a cast of a lack of opportunites to take such marks more than anything else. We still look short of fitness, but generally our defence has looked ok.

No doubt we need to play a lot better tomorrow, but we will need to rank it up a few notches from our early performances if we are to take the four points.
    "You get the feeling that like Monty Python's Black Knight, the Swans would regard amputation as merely a flesh wound."

Goes up to 11
    Quote Originally Posted by mcs View Post
    Im not so convinced that is such a problem. In rd 1 the game was an absolute slogfest, with not much particulary clean ball movement, hence not many opportunities for 'intercept marks.' Last week with the exception of the first quarter we generally had good control of a lot of the game and dominated late. Thus those stats might just be a cast of a lack of opportunites to take such marks more than anything else. We still look short of fitness, but generally our defence has looked ok.
    You've said really well what I was thinking but couldn't put into words - I think the stat is more indicative of our first two opponents as you say. I wouldn't hang my hat on any stats after 2 rounds anyway....

Changes for the North Melbourne game

I'm excited for this game. Without disrespecting the giants and suns, who played admirably, it feels like our season really starts with this game. And we will have to bring our A game for four quarters if we're to avoid getting a whacking from the Roos

Still they won't give us any credibility. Nothing wrong with Tony, he will be just fine.
    Wouldn't be surprised to see Birdy in the green jacket.
    The backline is missing some great talent, but lets see, LRT, NicMal (2 goals grand final...), TedBear, Smooch, plus Tony and a drifting Goodsey/Everett/Jett combo. Oh and Marty and Reg. Hmm. Yep, I am terrified. We are going to get hammered......the media say so.
    Last edited by Primmy; 12th April 2013 at 02:50 PM.
    If you've never jumped from one couch to the other to save yourself from lava then you didn't have a childhood

Quote Originally Posted by Ruck'n'Roll View Post
    I think so too, but I am concerned that the Shaw for Armstrong swap on top of the LRT for AJ swap means our backline is considerably slower than before. Hope legspeed doesn't prove a problem in Hobart, I've never seen it, is it a big playing surface like Launceston?
    175m x 133.5.m it is not a huge ground. 5m longer and 20m wider than the SCG. So it is very short but with wider pockets. I have seen footy played there years ago when we used to play State footy but only on telly. If it is windy it is hard to score in one of the pockets I believe. I'm pretty certain it is the end closest to the bay as the wind swirls in the pocket. I think it is the right hand pocket at the southern end.
    Last edited by wolftone57; 12th April 2013 at 05:31 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by jono2707 View Post
    You've said really well what I was thinking but couldn't put into words - I think the stat is more indicative of our first two opponents as you say. I wouldn't hang my hat on any stats after 2 rounds anyway....
    ... and last week was played in wet weather for a fair bit of the game.
    CIA Agent to Policeman: "Have you ever had anti-terrorist training?"
    Policeman: "Yes, I was married once."

Changes for the North Melbourne game

Look let's face it, we are a world away from our best footy based on our first two games. With good reason considering our preparation. This week will be a real test, and I absolutely can't wait. The first two rounds felt a bit hollow for me, and I haven't been excited about footy this year until now. Tomorrow can't come soon enough, I'm pretty certain well see a large step up from our boys, and look forward to seeing a real tough game against the Roos. Would not be suprised if we come up short but I also wouldn't be overly dissapointed, as long as we show signs that we are up for another crack at it this year. I'm by no means writing our boys off already, I'm quietly confident we can get over the line. Some of our passengers over rounds 1 and 2 need to get into gear, let's hope they do. Carn the Bloods

Senior Player
    Just saw the boys warming up with a soccer game in the park. Hope their skills with the Sherrin today are better than what was on display this morning.

Page 9 of 10 FirstFirst ... 5678910 LastLast