Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Melbourne Radio- Mark Fine

Warming the Bench

Melbourne Radio- Mark Fine

I spend a lot of time in the car for work so I end up listening to plenty of football news. Tonight Mark Fine brought up our draw and commented that it was a great way to start the season, especially because we are 4 weeks behind most teams. He then went on to say that the AFL may of done some sly maneuvers to orchestrate our easy first few weeks to help the AFL branch into NSW.

What do you guys think? Is this the easiest first two weeks for a reigning premier that you have ever seen?

It's the most boring start to a footy season I can remember. Gws, suns and Norf are snooze material.

Senior Player
    Giants over Easter was a fixed requirement, Gold Coast was likely just thrown up by the randomness of the supercomputer trying to get the best fit among billions of possiblities for a fixture with a hundred different requirements.

Re: Melbourne Radio- Mark Fine

I posted on the other site, but the worst split a premier has had in the first part of the season was 50/50 between top and bottom teams. Geelong in (I think) 08 or 10 had 4/6 opening games against the bottom 8, and the Hawks in 2009 had 8/22 games against the bottom 5. The draw throws up these quirks.

Outer wing, Lake Oval Sandridge's Avatar
    He barracks for St.Kilda - of course he'd be looking for conspiracies! Possibly still not over the 2005 PF?

Senior Player
    Quote Originally Posted by barry View Post
    It's the most boring start to a footy season I can remember. Gws, suns and Norf are snooze material.
    Disagree - North could be a good game next week.

pr. dim-melb; m not f
    North look like a genuine chance at top 8 after today. Nothing to be complacent about.
    He reminds him of the guys, close-set, slow, and never rattled, who were play-makers on the team. (John Updike, seeing Josh Kennedy in a crystal ball)

He's right, the draw is rigged. I've looked into it in some detail and we don't play anyone who finished above us all season !
    Before you criticize a man, walk a mile in his shoes. That way you'll be a mile away and he'll be shoeless.

Outer wing, Lake Oval Sandridge's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by undy View Post
    He's right, the draw is rigged. I've looked into it in some detail and we don't play anyone who finished above us all season !

Also note that for two of our next three games (North and Saints) we also get an extra day's rest over our opponents between matches. This is a reasonable advantage when both teams have to travel interstate (or overseas) to play.

Of course the draw is rigged in our favour. It's our divine right.

Nothing favourable about playing North right now. They could easily be undefeated against two of the best sides in the league. I haven't been this worried about losing to them in years.

Quote Originally Posted by DeadlyAkkuret View Post
    Nothing favourable about playing North right now. They could easily be undefeated against two of the best sides in the league. I haven't been this worried about losing to them in years.
    As a student of form I must say I expect to. Our form is ordinary. Hawthorn trounced the eagles away and were overrun by Geelong - who were extremely lucky with the rain.

I think we will need to be at our very best to beat them and we aren't even close to that yet, and the slog in the rain and mud won't have assisted

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast