Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Is Premier Division a lower standard now ?

Is Premier Division a lower standard now ?

I'd be interested to get some thoughts on how PD is travelling.

There seem to be a whole lot of young skinny kids playing, and our comp doesn't seem to be very "physical" nowadays.
    I can think back to the Balmain (Tigers !!) back-to-back premiership team and they were big strong guys. And remember Ron Thomas's Wests teams with the Lenton's, Eckersley, Kirk and so on ? They were big intimidating guys too who knew how to impose themselves on a game.
    And, wow, what about the Army guys who filled the ranks at Campbelltown 15 years ago ?

Now, the bodies don't seem to be as developed, the hits aren't as hard.

How would a good PD team now (say, last year's Bulldogs) go against a winning team from a few years ago ?

And where are the strong men now ? McAlister is one, Gus is another but the list is a bit light on after that.

Yes most definitely weaker.
    Last years side would not make the finals 15 years ago.
    Apart from size the skill level is somewhat lower and depth is quite shallow.
    Ofcourse there are players in each side who are good enough to play in other leagues and with/against the sides you mention.
    However, most of the socalled names (besides Gus who was obviously still at retirement age 15 years ago and is of the old school) that run around were only 2nd div players interstate at best.

Even the Army blokes these days are leaner and more tuned for endurance rather than up front toughness. Your typical SpecOps soldier isn't really a monster these days, with Ben Roberts-Smioth being a clear exception to that.

I haven't had a great deal of exposure to SFL or Prems as it is called now, but I remember seeing Campbelltown in their pioneering days when they went to the ACTAFL, my god they were terrifying to watch. Skilful and brutal in equal measures. Footy has changed.

Senior Player
    Quote Originally Posted by Pekay View Post
    Even the Army blokes these days are leaner and more tuned for endurance rather than up front toughness. Your typical SpecOps soldier isn't really a monster these days, with Ben Roberts-Smioth being a clear exception to that.

You sure? Most of the special ops guys I know are pretty big physically even those short of stature and I know a few that are monsters based on your above description.

Quote Originally Posted by tara View Post
    You sure? Most of the special ops guys I know are pretty big physically even those short of stature and I know a few that are monsters based on your above description.
    True, you'd know better than I, but blokes I know in those roles are of course strong as hell, but aren't your 'angriffs' of the expected size. Many I just know the scrawny ones.

Quote Originally Posted by tara View Post
    Mate the game has evolved to the point of the 120kg full forward and ruckman can't compete ,with the reduced centre circle it's a two step jump which killed the bigger bloke,and the tussle at boundaries and marking contests has been reduced to free kicks.It has become more of a endurance game now just look at Mumford how he is evolving.

Warming the Bench
    I have only been in Sydney for 7 years and involved in premier division throughout this time and in my opinion the "standard" of football at the top end has improved dramatically. However, there is still a very large gap between the top 5 and the rest. This is the main issue in Sydney football and not how many muscles players have today compared to 15 years ago. Last years UniNSW were a very impressive outfit and are brilliantly coached by McAlister.

You only need to look at the body shapes in the elite competition to understand the evolution of AFL. Many players in the AFL have had to change their body shape over the last 3-5 years to keep up with the modern game.

Quote Originally Posted by Tim Freedman View Post
    I have only been in Sydney for 7 years and involved in premier division throughout this time and in my opinion the "standard" of football at the top end has improved dramatically. However, there is still a very large gap between the top 5 and the rest. This is the main issue in Sydney football and not how many muscles players have today compared to 15 years ago. Last years UniNSW were a very impressive outfit and are brilliantly coached by McAlister.

You only need to look at the body shapes in the elite competition to understand the evolution of AFL. Many players in the AFL have had to change their body shape over the last 3-5 years to keep up with the modern game.
    Yes, guys in the AFL have had to change their body shape, but they still have mighty upper body strength. And that gives them confidence to crash into packs.
    Seems to me that most of our PD players are just plain skinny so they avoid tackling and bumping. It's the style of junior footy, but you'd hope that they get a bit more aggressive as they mature, don't you ?

Interesting that you say the standard has improved dramatically over the past few years - I thought it had gotten worse but there's no way of measuring, so I take your point.

Yes I agree that UNSW last year were impressive and that was because they took the game on with aggression and confidence.

Compared to SydUni last year in the NEAFL who looked (again I say), too young and skinny. Haven't seen them yet this year but I expect they will have bulked up a bit.

Finally, love watching Luffy go around, and he is a strong body, but I reckon if PD was a strong comp then he wouldn't have been as dominant as he has been.

Quote Originally Posted by Tim Freedman View Post
    Funny you say that TimF - I've occasionally stood next to an AFL player and I've noticed that they are quite slim as you say...Swans players like Jarred Crouch, Jed Lamb, Armstrong. But, hey, they're all power aren't they ? I'm a fatty and I still feel like a wimp next to guys like that.
    Maybe it's the sunlamps that they use at their gyms !!

Would easts of last season beat the eagles of the 3 seasons prior?

Not even close, and I disagree with the comp having improved, its weaker albeit it has more young local talent in it every year which is great. With the limited talent pool in Sydney how can the comp be stronger when you have two teams out of the comp playing NEAFL from week to week (the nucleus of their sides are ex Prem players not all new imports of some sort) - I realise its not a precise exercise re: effect of NEAFL but a few players have moved clubs to try to play NEAFL and you'd have to think that a solid proportion of the current East Coast and SU senior sides would be playing Prems if their club wasn't in the NEAFL. My worry is with the NEAFL and all of the elite squads and the tops up to 2 AFL sides etc the prem comp will basically be the former SFA very soon. I have no personal problem with that and I like seeing the Bats and Manly and whoever else progress but I think its not the vision for Sydney footy which in my view ought to be make Prem Div get stronger and stronger, not dillute it.

Quote Originally Posted by Jupiter View Post
    Not even close, and I disagree with the comp having improved, its weaker albeit it has more young local talent in it every year which is great. With the limited talent pool in Sydney how can the comp be stronger when you have two teams out of the comp playing NEAFL from week to week (the nucleus of their sides are ex Prem players not all new imports of some sort) - I realise its not a precise exercise re: effect of NEAFL but a few players have moved clubs to try to play NEAFL and you'd have to think that a solid proportion of the current East Coast and SU senior sides would be playing Prems if their club wasn't in the NEAFL. My worry is with the NEAFL and all of the elite squads and the tops up to 2 AFL sides etc the prem comp will basically be the former SFA very soon. I have no personal problem with that and I like seeing the Bats and Manly and whoever else progress but I think its not the vision for Sydney footy which in my view ought to be make Prem Div get stronger and stronger, not dillute it.
    So some of the best are now playing NEAFL, some more of the best are top-ups, and what comes in is the young local talent (skinny young kids !) Therefore the standard is bound to fall. Most likely true. Plus the ambitious country zone kids who use our SFL to audition for AFL (like Naismith and Joey Redfern)
    What we had in the past was quality country and interstate players coming to Sydney (maybe playing in return for a job, or transferred up here with work)....guys in the mid-20s with a few pre-seasons behind them. We don't seem to get them now (apart from McAlister). And, like Jupiter said, if PD becomes lower standard then it will be harder to attract those experienced players - they'll go to NEAFL instead.
    When you read Tom Harley's greeting from last week, it's pretty obvious that grassroots footy is not a big priority for the AFL - we are down there with Auskick as a talent quest to support the Swans and GIants.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast