Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Cup = Members!!

Blog Entries

Cup = Members!!

THE Sydney Swans have set their sights on building an army of 40,000 members in coming years after shattering their all-time membership record this week of 33,000 this week.

With no NRL club yet to break the 25,000 membership barrier, the Swans believe they are on track to reach their target of 37,000 members in 2013 on the back of their stunning run to the 2012 AFL premiership.

It would be an increase of 9894 members or 36.5 per cent from the 27,106 members they recorded in 2011.
    Cookies must be enabled | Herald Sun

Outer wing, Lake Oval Sandridge's Avatar
    Fantastic! Wonderful achievement!

Makes me think of the games at the SCG when it seemed like there were more people on the field than off it!

Anyone remember what was our smallest attendance figure in those horror years?

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Sandridge View Post
    Fantastic! Wonderful achievement!

Makes me think of the games at the SCG when it seemed like there were more people on the field than off it!

Anyone remember what was our smallest attendance figure in those horror years?
    The days when you could sit where you wanted, with no one else around?
    No queues for beer or toilets. Or even to get in or out of the ground!!

Early 90's the SCG was pretty bare. AFL Tables - Crowds - S.C.G.
    At the bottom of that page it has the lowest crwods.

Worst was - 5272 Sydney v Brisbane Bears S.C.G. 1990
    Last edited by ScottH; 10th April 2013 at 10:12 AM.

As the players ran onto the ground, the ground announcer ran thru the names of the spectators ... it was quicker.
    Driver of the Dan Hannebery bandwagon....all aboard. 4th April 09

I can remember going to the SCG in 1992 under Buckanara, and honestly, you could hear the conversations of the crowd on the other side of the ground,it was that quiet. And we got absolutely flogged by Hawthorn. I think there was less than 6000 there that day.
    You Just Do Not Get a Better Grand Final Win Than That

scott names the planets stellation's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Triple B View Post
    As the players ran onto the ground, the ground announcer ran thru the names of the spectators ... it was quicker.

I played a bit of junior footy with/against Dion Myles, I remember going to the game Dion debuted and there were so few people there that we just ended up following him from end to end to cheer him on... there were a couple of other guys in our group that day who were in the same boat of him being a footy acquaintance, so we thought it was a good thing to do. Every time he went near the ball we went absolutely nuts screaming for him. Anyway, the best part was that in either the 3rd or the 4th quarter Plugger actually took the time to walk towards the pocket we were sitting in and give us a serve, it was so quiet that he'd heard us all day and thought we were mocking Dion (I'm sure we partly were). Great memory.
    I knew him as a gentle young man, I cannot say for sure the reasons for his decline
    We watched him fade before our very eyes, and years before his time

If you'd have told me in those dark days that in the next 20 years we'd barely miss the finals, play in 4 Grand Finals winning 2 and have 30k+ members I'd have called the men in the white coats to take you away. We have truly been blessed as a supporter group with what our club has given us. When you see the disaster that is the Melbourne Footy Club at the moment you reflect even more strongly on how fortunate we are.
    ..And the Swans are the Premiers...The Ultimate Team...The Ultimate Warriors. They have overcome the highly fancied Hawks in brilliant style. Sydney the 2012 Premiers - Gerard Whately ABC

Here it is Again! - Huddo SEN

Senior Player
    I havn't renewed. so i'm bucking the trend.

Quote Originally Posted by Big Al View Post
    If you'd have told me in those dark days that in the next 20 years we'd barely miss the finals, play in 4 Grand Finals winning 2 and have 30k+ members I'd have called the men in the white coats to take you away. We have truly been blessed as a supporter group with what our club has given us. When you see the disaster that is the Melbourne Footy Club at the moment you reflect even more strongly on how fortunate we are.
    Spot. On.

Quote Originally Posted by ScottH View Post
    The days when you could sit where you wanted, with no one else around?
    No queues for beer or toilets. Or even to get in or out of the ground!!

Early 90's the SCG was pretty bare. AFL Tables - Crowds - S.C.G.
    At the bottom of that page it has the lowest crwods.

Worst was - 5272 Sydney v Brisbane Bears S.C.G. 1990
    Sheesh! Hardly worth employing someone to open the gates!

Sweet home Novacastria
    I remember as a kid my neighbour used to work for QBE. Like clockwork, the Thursday before each home match, we would get 50 tickets in our mailbox. Fifty. It was great for the footy club dad was involved with, as they'd run a bus to the game for a tenner.

40,000 would be amazing. A long way off but a decent ambition for the club.
    Today's a draft of your epitaph

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast