Thread: Fixing the Fixture

pr. dim-melb; m not f

Fixing the Fixture

I was disappointed to read Andrew Ireland's comments on the official website, after the great work he has been doing with the club.
    Swans break membership record, now push for longer season - SYDNEYSWANS.com.au

A 23 round fixture, plus finals, is already too long and too much of a drain on players, some of whom are not ready for the rigours of a new season even after a four month break. I have long favoured going to a 17 round fixture, retaining the NAB Cup as useful for the clubs, and having two split rounds which the players want anyway. I was very happy to see this article from Jimmy Bartel; take note of the poll at the end.
    Less gives everyone more bang for buck
    He reminds him of the guys, close-set, slow, and never rattled, who were play-makers on the team. (John Updike, seeing Josh Kennedy in a crystal ball)

I think the problem is that many think 17 rounds is too short - me included. One thing is for sure - the current draw is crap.

But I'm not sure less is necessarily better in this case. In addition, the Melbourne clubs may still get a big advantage under a 17 round setup. They will only travel interstate you'd assume on average 4 times (once to Perth, Qld, Sydney, Adelaide) and then having 13 games in Melbourne (I know its not that simple). Whereas potentially, an interstate team would expect to travel interstate 8 times (for example, for us it would be Qld once, Adelaide once, WA once, Melbourne 5 times). That is a very simple analysis missing key points (i.e. I've assumed that a Melbourne team is always playing half the interstate teams away and half them at home each season). I guess what I'm saying is that the draw can still have the same issues and manipulation as you get under the current system.

I don't think there is a material difference in terms of player burn out/welfare etc between the current setup and what Ireland says when you consider a shortened pre season. I really thin that the NAB Cup should be disbanded and replaced with just practice games - to me it is a waste of time the NAB cup and all that comes out of it is players getting injured and out for the season proper.

Its never going to be perfect whatever they do, but at least they are looking at it. If it was me I'd kick a couple of Melbourne teams out (i.e. force mergers) so you have 8 Melbourne teams, 8 interstate teams, 16 overall. Then have no official pre-season cup, just a couple of warm-up weeks in the country. Then a 24 round season, with a bye or two thrown in, where you play half the teams twice and the other half once. Then the next season you play the lot you only played once twice and the rest once. That way, every team plays every other team over 2 seasons three times. That way, over time at very least, the draw is closer to 'fair.'
    "You get the feeling that like Monty Python's Black Knight, the Swans would regard amputation as merely a flesh wound."

Ireland is arguing for a longer formal season, in lieu off the NAB cup. No-one takes the NAB cup that seriously, least of all us. So instead of badging trial games as some kind of competition, turn them into real games. Makes sense. Except the AFL would have to abandon a sponsorship, so forgeddit.
    The man who laughs has not yet heard the terrible news

pr. dim-melb; m not f
    Quote Originally Posted by ShockOfHair View Post
    Ireland is arguing for a longer formal season, in lieu of the NAB cup. No-one takes the NAB cup that seriously, least of all us. So instead of badging trial games as some kind of competition, turn them into real games. Makes sense. Except the AFL would have to abandon a sponsorship, so forgeddit.
    I'm sure you're right about Ireland; my problem with the proposal is that we would still be playing footy in February, which I think is sheer lunacy.
    I'm sure you're right about the sponsorship too.
    He reminds him of the guys, close-set, slow, and never rattled, who were play-makers on the team. (John Updike, seeing Josh Kennedy in a crystal ball)

On the Rookie List BillyRayCypress's Avatar
    I think the solution to a longer season is to either expand the list or allow the rookies to play a number of games. Playing the rookies would be like playing your joker is a tipster.

There certainly is a problem that League starts at least two weeks before us however they have the State of Origin that stretches out the season. I agree we need to match their season at least at the start.

Nobody goes to NAB Cup games apart from the delusional or seriously socially disadvantaged.

BTW I did go to a NAB cup game this year at Blacktown but I have to exclude myself as I was only there to check which other RWO's were there
    Nothing like a good light bulb moment.

Senior Player

Re: Fixing the Fixture

The problem currently is that 5 double up games is extremely awkward to balance. Prior to the expansion teams you played 7/15 teams twice. That is roughly half and meant a less extreme mix of "easy" and "hard" double ups. 5/17 is about a third and harder to balance.

Add a couple more teams and keep 22 games, and double-ups reduce to 3/19 and a far lesser impact on competitive balance.