Thread: So the Swans Academy vs GWS Academy this Sat !!

So the Swans Academy vs GWS Academy this Sat !!

Academy rivalry begins - SYDNEYSWANS.com.au

interesting to see the results this sat night

my mates son who is 15 yrs old made the GWS academy

they played Geelong College on tues night here in Sydney at Blacktown Intl Sports Park

score was approx 30 goals to 3 in favour of Geelong - GWS got smashed BUT.......

The GWS team had none of their Canberra or Murray boys in the 22 of which my made it very tough.......my mate said that the GWS best 22 is comprised of min 18 players from the Canberra / Murray Regions when they field their best team.......... He also said you would be lucky to see 4 or 5 kids from Sydney or central west that make the best 22 of the GWS 16's team when in full flight !

16s GWS will have the Murray boys playing against the Swans 16's ........which makes a huge difference and might make it very tough for the Swans 16s team.........in fact my mate said he couldnt believe the difference in the GWS team with and without the Murray/Canberra region players........he said it is like chalk and cheese !

18s GWS dont have the murray boys.......as i believe the murray region only got rezoned a year or two back hence the 18s murray boys are the last of the mohicans that go to Melb clubs..... ie murray and Canberra regions are zoned to GWS exclusively now ! So the although the Swans 18s team will be a little young as Roo's mentions in the article above they may still be competitive given it is primarily sydney or central west kids in the GWS 18's team

looking forward to writing up some more info after sats game
    "be tough, only when it gets tough"

Quote Originally Posted by Auntie.Gerald View Post
    Academy rivalry begins - SYDNEYSWANS.com.au

interesting to see the results this sat night

my mates son who is 15 yrs old made the GWS academy

they played Geelong College on tues night here in Sydney at Blacktown Intl Sports Park

score was approx 30 goals to 3 in favour of Geelong - GWS got smashed BUT.......

The GWS team had none of their Canberra or Murray boys in the 22 of which my made it very tough.......my mate said that the GWS best 22 is comprised of min 18 players from the Canberra / Murray Regions when they field their best team.......... He also said you would be lucky to see 4 or 5 kids from Sydney or central west that make the best 22 of the GWS 16's team when in full flight !

16s GWS will have the Murray boys playing against the Swans 16's ........which makes a huge difference and might make it very tough for the Swans 16s team.........in fact my mate said he couldnt believe the difference in the GWS team with and without the Murray/Canberra region players........he said it is like chalk and cheese !

18s GWS dont have the murray boys.......as i believe the murray region only got rezoned a year or two back hence the 18s murray boys are the last of the mohicans that go to Melb clubs..... ie murray and Canberra regions are zoned to GWS exclusively now ! So the although the Swans 18s team will be a little young as Roo's mentions in the article above they may still be competitive given it is primarily sydney or central west kids in the GWS 18's team

looking forward to writing up some more info after sats game
    Carn the "First Bloods".

I am sure there are some future Swannies there. Keep us informed. Thanks.

I can back that up. My son is in the 14s and went to Albury last year as part of the junior Academy carnival. The 14s (he was in 13s then) featured the full GWS Academy integrated team who belted the academies from Sydney, Brisbane and Gold Coast. They have first crack at some potential stars in the coming years.
    Today's a draft of your epitaph

pr. dim-melb; m not f
    Thanks AG. I look forward to reading anything you can tell us.
    He reminds him of the guys, close-set, slow, and never rattled, who were play-makers on the team. (John Updike, seeing Josh Kennedy in a crystal ball)

Goes up to 11
    It a disgrace that GWS get the Murray/Riverina boys and we get the rest. The Swans did have a bit of a traditional stronghold in the Riverina but the wise men at the AFL are doing their best to undermine that....

i suppose the challenge is for the AFL and the two sydney teams to keep inspiring a decent sydney comp beyond where it is now and help kids want to play AFL

if they can do it such small populations as the Murray/Riverina why not Sydney ?

Veterans List
    What news of these games folks?

Can you feel it? Site Admin ugg's Avatar
    From the GWS website

GIANTS Academy Beat Swans - GWSGIANTS.com.au

Results

Under 18s
    Giants 13.13 (91) d Swans 4.12 (36).
    Goals:
    GWS: Payne 4, Barrett 2, Steele 2; Green, Nunn, Faul, Renet, Finlayson;
    Swans: Head, Codd-Miller, Pola-Smith, Heeney.

Under 16s
    Giants 12.7 (79) d Swans 10.7 (67).
    Goals:
    Giants: Cornell 4, Tiziani 3, Mannagh 2, Klemke 2, Irvine.
    Swans: Cubis 3, Hey 3, Bradburn 2, Maldigri, Cooper.

sorry everyone.......I dont have much to tell

My friends son didnt play in the end as he played against Geelong College last tues and they rotated some of the team that missed out last Tues to play the Swans

What I can say is that the Swans 16s have done very very well to contain the GWS team. To only loose by 12pts against the GWS 16s who have all the Murray / greater canberra kids is a brilliant effort