Page 5 of 10 FirstFirst 123456789 ... LastLast
Results 49 to 60 of 110

Thread: Changes for Rd.4 V The Cats

  1. #49
    One Man Out ShockOfHair's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Due north
    Posts
    3,668
    As most of our mids rotate through the forward line goalkicking is pretty much one of their responsibilities. Except for Jude, who's a forward who rotates through the midfield.
    The man who laughs has not yet heard the terrible news

  2. #50
    Veterans List Big Al's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    Paradise
    Posts
    7,007
    Quote Originally Posted by ShockOfHair View Post
    As most of our mids rotate through the forward line goalkicking is pretty much one of their responsibilities. Except for Jude, who's a forward who rotates through the midfield.
    Yep, i know its cliched but at the Swans it's about playing your role. If you're out of form or aren't having a good day then at the Swans you are still expected to help out a mate, lay a tackle, put on a shepherd, pressure an opponent. When you watch the GF that sort of thing stands out. Jude and Sammy didn't have great games from a statistical stand point but they still played their role and contributed. It's why we're Premiers and still winning games. We have contributors from player 1 to player 22.
    ..And the Swans are the Premiers...The Ultimate Team...The Ultimate Warriors. They have overcome the highly fancied Hawks in brilliant style. Sydney the 2012 Premiers - Gerard Whately ABC

    Here it is Again! - Huddo SEN

  3. #51
    Veterans List Ludwig's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Chiang Rai
    Posts
    5,826
    Quote Originally Posted by jono2707 View Post
    As for sub - Jetts did cross my mind but he's important for our structure. So it's probably down to Andrejs/Mitch or Tony as the last players in. Goodsey would make a handy sub but I can't quite see that happening.....
    I made this point on several occasions:

    He's an impact player.
    He often doesn't get going until the game is on the line.
    He would be very difficult to cover for a tired team in the 4th qtr.
    It would go a long way to extending his footy lifetime.

    I can hardly think of a better sub in the league. The role was made for Goodesy at 33+.

  4. #52
    On the Rookie List
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Thailand
    Posts
    1,536
    Quote Originally Posted by Big Al View Post
    Yep, i know its cliched but at the Swans it's about playing your role. If you're out of form or aren't having a good day then at the Swans you are still expected to help out a mate, lay a tackle, put on a shepherd, pressure an opponent. When you watch the GF that sort of thing stands out. Jude and Sammy didn't have great games from a statistical stand point but they still played their role and contributed. It's why we're Premiers and still winning games. We have contributors from player 1 to player 22.
    I agree with this analysis and it is good to see that Jude has turned his bad form around and now could be regarded as a dangerous forward and a reliable shot on goal.Sammy is another story.Maybe its just me but he doesn't seem to be playing to his potential which we all agree is awesome.It looks like we are just getting game time into him on the logic that when he comes good he will be a champion CHF.When you have a totally dominant midfield one would normally expect a CHF to kick a bag maybe not every game but at least once.So maybe I should just take a shower (Thanks Kevin) when he fumbles the ball or handpasses to the opposition and wait for the one spectacular mark that will make all the pain go away. The beauty of the Swans at the moment is that we can afford to "run in" a KPP and wait for the results later in the season.

  5. #53
    Travelling Swannie!! mcs's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    Canberra
    Posts
    4,995
    Quote Originally Posted by Ludwig View Post
    I made this point on several occasions:

    He's an impact player.
    He often doesn't get going until the game is on the line.
    He would be very difficult to cover for a tired team in the 4th qtr.
    It would go a long way to extending his footy lifetime.

    I can hardly think of a better sub in the league. The role was made for Goodesy at 33+.
    He still at this stage has too much to offer to the team to be a sub in my opinion, but down the track, just maybe.
    "You get the feeling that like Monty Python's Black Knight, the Swans would regard amputation as merely a flesh wound."

  6. #54
    Regular in the Side crackedactor's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    Melbourne
    Posts
    816

    Not Time Yet

    Quote Originally Posted by DLBIA14 View Post
    I don't think it is an unfair expectation on fringe players that they play their role first week in or not. Armstrong has proven last year that he is capable of making a strong contribution to the team as somebody outside the best 22. The thing that was most disappointing about his performance last week was that he never really picked up the speed of the game.

    We're the Premiers remember. This team shouldn't be in the habit of giving players 'chances to redeem themselves'. We should have other players knocking on the door asking for their chance.

    Which brings up an interesting point. This year and last year we haven't really introduced any young players - none have pushed like Hanners, Parker, AJ, Reid, Jetta ect. their way into the side. Personally I find that a little concerning. Hawthorn have had a good couple of youngsters getting games this year and haven't been worse for it. Geelong has continued its success on the back of young kids bringing in speed and skill. By comparison we seem a little static, no? What are other people's thoughts?
    There is no point bringing in young kids if they are not ready yet, it will only destroy their confidence. Hawthorn and Geelong youngsters where obviously ready. But personally I am excited about Tom Mitchell, Jed Lamb and Alex Brown playing AFL football in the not too distant future. To play them now would be a mistake. Agree it is time to bring back Morton and maybe leave out Armstrong and give Bird a full run in the backline. Morton would likely be the sub.

  7. #55
    Veteran Site Admin
    Join Date
    Jan 2003
    Location
    Sydney
    Posts
    13,503
    Quote Originally Posted by DLBIA14 View Post

    Which brings up an interesting point. This year and last year we haven't really introduced any young players - none have pushed like Hanners, Parker, AJ, Reid, Jetta ect. their way into the side. Personally I find that a little concerning. Hawthorn have had a good couple of youngsters getting games this year and haven't been worse for it. Geelong has continued its success on the back of young kids bringing in speed and skill. By comparison we seem a little static, no? What are other people's thoughts?
    I've been pondering this off and on too, and I oscillate between thinking it is a good thing and a concern. I think there are a few factors in play.

    Both teams have lost a first choice best 22 player to a knee injury, but both teams have also brought back a first choice best 22 player who missed the GF through injury. So in pure numbers terms, those cancel each other out.

    Both teams also have a probable best 22 player who missed the GF out through long term injury, in Whitecross and Rohan. Neither is likely to return any time soon.

    The Hawks lost one grand final player to Collingwood. We lost none. So that is one spot they have to fill over us.

    As has been discussed frequently, our "bottom 6" of our grand final team were better performed than the Hawks'. And this probably applied throughout the season, not just in the GF. A couple of their lesser lights have been forced out of their team, in Ellis (is he injured or just on the fringes?) and Savage, who has played but lost his spot with Hodge's return. We've "chosen" to replace one fringe player in Morton with another in Everitt. (You can argue about the extent to which Morton's interrupted pre-season contributed to this - it might explain his omission from the round 1 team but his fitness now looks fine). Ellis and Young have effectively been replaced with the two youngsters in Hill and Anderson.

    The Hawks have had an extra spot or two, over the three weeks so far, become available due to injuries to Hodge and now Sewell. We've had Rhyce miss a week, which gave Armstrong a chance (and he is still a relative novice). In each case there was (or will be) no question of the veteran resuming their spot once available.

    I am confident we do have players who can come in and make a real contribution if opportunities arise. Morton is a definite. But Lamb, too, is literally knocking the door down, Rampe has already been rewarded with a brief opportunity, and if Mitchell can string half a dozen or so games together his claims are going to be hard to ignore. Alex Brown and Cunningham (at least before this weekend) are another couple who look like they could contribute something right now, and Membrey might not be far off. Even some our newbies who aren't physically ready yet, have been playing disciplined "Swans footy" in the reserves for a week. If we had a horror run with injury later in the year, I wouldn't be overly surprised if someone like Lloyd came into the team and didn't disgrace themselves.

    It is a fine balance between playing your best team and generating some turnover in the team to give young players a chance and keep everyone fresh. But when you're playing for a premiership, you play your best team. And some of our older players are showing no signs of slowing down. I wouldn't be surprised if half the players drafted last year (not just at the Swans, but across the competition) are long gone from AFL ranks before ROK decides he's had enough. And right now, even Jude looks like he's got another 100 games left in him!

  8. #56
    Senior Player ernie koala's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    northern beaches
    Posts
    3,135
    Quote Originally Posted by DLBIA14 View Post
    This team shouldn't be in the habit of giving players 'chances to redeem themselves'. We should have other players knocking on the door asking for their chance.

    Which brings up an interesting point. This year and last year we haven't really introduced any young players - none have pushed like Hanners, Parker, AJ, Reid, Jetta ect. their way into the side. Personally I find that a little concerning. Hawthorn have had a good couple of youngsters getting games this year and haven't been worse for it. Geelong has continued its success on the back of young kids bringing in speed and skill. By comparison we seem a little static, no? What are other people's thoughts?
    It's also true that this club isn't, presently, in the habit of handing out games for the sake of it.

    We'll, no doubt, get our fair share of injuries as the season progresses.

    Thats when the consistent standouts from the 2's will get their chance....
    Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it's time to pause and reflect... MT

  9. #57
    Proud Tragic Swan Primmy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    On the Move!
    Posts
    5,960
    While Goodsey is still organising the traffic and stuffing up the confidence of his opponent, I cannot see him playing the sub role.

    Don't think I agree with the thoughts that this crop of younguns are not pushing for selection. We have a premiership side that has pretty much remained unchanged this year, except for injuries. Brissy wasn't introducing new blokes during their premiership reign so why should Sydney just for the sake of it. Changes happen as must. And the new kids must push into the team, but although they are darned good, they would get run over at this stage.

    I feel sorry for Jed, and Tommy for that matter, but its only a matter of time. Morton should get a gig this game - he was behind in the non negotiable preseason regime, and he knew it was non negotiable. I am thinking he will come in and perhaps Andreys will drop out, or Jetts will get a rest. Looking forward to seeing what transpires.
    If you've never jumped from one couch to the other to save yourself from lava then you didn't have a childhood

  10. #58
    McVeigh for Brownlow RogueSwan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Location
    Coffs Harbour - home of Swans summer camp
    Posts
    4,142
    Quote Originally Posted by Primmy View Post
    ... Brissy wasn't introducing new blokes during their premiership reign so why should Sydney just for the sake of it...
    We don't want to lose a potential Craig Bolton? Although that may have happened last year with Campbell Heath. Also, look where the Blions are now. They have been in the relative wilderness ever since their glory days.
    I realise we should do everything we can to win another Premiership whilst we can, but we can also learn from other teams... mistakes seems too harsh a word ... but it is the best I can come up with.
    "Fortunately, this is the internet, so knowing nothing is no obstacle to having an opinion!." Beerman 18-07-2017

  11. #59
    On the Rookie List Reggi's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2003
    Location
    Ripponlea
    Posts
    2,718
    I think you would need to say it is a bit disappointing no young player has clearly pressed a case for a spot.

    A few players are not in great form, including jetta. I am not as hopeful on some of the younger guys. I saw a fair bit of Lamb pre season, he is touch and go really. I would probably make him sub ahead of Bird as he is more likely to be an impact player, would guess Horse wants him as insurance for injuries to our core midfielders.

    Anyway we seem to have a solid group of talent underneath, I think sometimes we can overrate them

  12. #60
    Veterans List Big Al's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    Paradise
    Posts
    7,007
    I'm pretty happy with the current player management philosophies of the Swans. Any club that wins a flag and then 7 years later rebuilds and wins another without doing a Hawthorn and bottoming out has something going for it. While no one wants to lose good players I'm more than happy that we aren't the Aussie cricket team and only hand out games to those that deserve it.
    ..And the Swans are the Premiers...The Ultimate Team...The Ultimate Warriors. They have overcome the highly fancied Hawks in brilliant style. Sydney the 2012 Premiers - Gerard Whately ABC

    Here it is Again! - Huddo SEN

Page 5 of 10 FirstFirst 123456789 ... LastLast

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Single Sign On provided by vBSSO