Page 4 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast

Thread: Changes for Rd.4 V The Cats

Quote Originally Posted by Big Al View Post
    Not functioning?? We just won our 22nd game from the last 28 including a premiership. How many times do the talls in the forward bring the ball to ground for our mids streaming forward. How often do our forward line work together to provide space for our faster men to run into. How many times do the forward line provide the required pressure to keep the ball in the area to create opportunities. To say the forward line isn't functioning just astounds me.
    Spot on
    Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it's time to pause and reflect... MT

McVeigh for Brownlow Site Admin RogueSwan's Avatar
    Coffs Harbour - home of Swans summer camp
    No change, give Rhyce another week to get to 100%. Harsh on Armstrong to drop him after one average game. At least give him one more to redeem himself.
    Geez it doesn't send a good message to the other fringe players. Perform this week or else! It would make any/most young footballers nervous and stifle their natural game. "I hope I don't stuff up".
    I too would like to see Morton in, dunno why he wasn't from game one, but who's spot does he take?
    "Fortunately, this is the internet, so knowing nothing is no obstacle to having an opinion!." Beerman 18-07-2017

Quote Originally Posted by Big Al View Post
    Not functioning?? We just won our 22nd game from the last 28 including a premiership. How many times do the talls in the forward bring the ball to ground for our mids streaming forward. How often do our forward line work together to provide space for our faster men to run into. How many times do the forward line provide the required pressure to keep the ball in the area to create opportunities. To say the forward line isn't functioning just astounds me.
    Yes, not functioning. Not functioning so much that despite a premiership we still spent $1m on the best available forward in tippet.
    Not functioning such that we played LRT as a forward for 2012 in a makeshift forward line.
    Not functioning in that our midfield is relied upon to score goals. Thats the forward job.
    Not functioning last week because from our premiership side, Morton and LRT are not in the forward line anymore.

A forward's job it to mark the ball and kick goals. His secondary job is to bring the ball to ground. A forward is underperforming if he's only doing the second.

Quote Originally Posted by barry View Post
    Yes, not functioning. Not functioning so much that despite a premiership we still spent $1m on the best available forward in tippet.
    Not functioning such that we played LRT as a forward for 2012 in a makeshift forward line.
    Not functioning in that our midfield is relied upon to score goals. Thats the forward job.
    Not functioning last week because from our premiership side, Morton and LRT are not in the forward line anymore.

A forward's job it to mark the ball and kick goals. His secondary job is to bring the ball to ground. A forward is underperforming if he's only doing the second.
    I remember when the cats played david mensch in the forward line and he was complimented on how he was doing his job bringing the ball to ground - i remember laughing that they had such low expectations.

I agree that it is frustrating to watch a forward line working in this way but it is working, we are winning games. If your midfield and small forwards can kick goals, why not set up a forward line like we have?

Think of it this way. Normally the mid-field's job is to give good delivery to the forward line to kick goals. However the swans have it the other way around, the job of the forward line is to deliver the ball to the mid-fielders who are moving into the 50 so they can kick the goals. It is working a treat so far. It is very different, but very effective.

Meanwhile, the obviously talented talls, Pyke, Mummy and Reid are all getting marking experience at AFL level so that at some point the tactic could be swapped back to "normal" if necessary.

Genius!

Quote Originally Posted by RogueSwan View Post
    No change, give Rhyce another week to get to 100%. Harsh on Armstrong to drop him after one average game. At least give him one more to redeem himself.
    Geez it doesn't send a good message to the other fringe players. Perform this week or else! It would make any/most young footballers nervous and stifle their natural game. "I hope I don't stuff up".
    I too would like to see Morton in, dunno why he wasn't from game one, but who's spot does he take?
    I don't think it is an unfair expectation on fringe players that they play their role first week in or not. Armstrong has proven last year that he is capable of making a strong contribution to the team as somebody outside the best 22. The thing that was most disappointing about his performance last week was that he never really picked up the speed of the game.

We're the Premiers remember. This team shouldn't be in the habit of giving players 'chances to redeem themselves'. We should have other players knocking on the door asking for their chance.

Which brings up an interesting point. This year and last year we haven't really introduced any young players - none have pushed like Hanners, Parker, AJ, Reid, Jetta ect. their way into the side. Personally I find that a little concerning. Hawthorn have had a good couple of youngsters getting games this year and haven't been worse for it. Geelong has continued its success on the back of young kids bringing in speed and skill. By comparison we seem a little static, no? What are other people's thoughts?

id rather see Tippet, Reid and Morton clutching species and raming through goals, as well as bring the ball to ground if outpositioned.

McVeigh for Brownlow Site Admin RogueSwan's Avatar
    Coffs Harbour - home of Swans summer camp
    ..Not functioning such that we played LRT as a forward for 2012 in a makeshift forward line...
    Booo, leave the soft-haired Viking out of it. A premiership forward who should never be doubted.
    "Fortunately, this is the internet, so knowing nothing is no obstacle to having an opinion!." Beerman 18-07-2017

id rather see Tippet, Reid and Morton clutching species and raming through goals, as well as bring the ball to ground if outpositioned.
    I'm sure thats what the Swans coaches would want also. Unfortunately, Morton is gaining match fitness in the 2's.(He missed much of the late pre season). Tippett is suspended.. and Reid is out of form.

The Swans have fashioned their forward set up with what they've got.....And so far it's working...That'll do me.
    Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it's time to pause and reflect... MT

Initially, I made some negative comments about Armstrong's game on Saturday, but after watching the replay I think it was a bit harsh. He made a few mistakes, but not much more than many of our senior players. I think Joey got caught HTB a couple of time. There were a few easy marks dropped by players, etc.

I realised that I was judging Tony more harshly because he didn't have the runs on the board. But his disposal is very good. He hits targets as well as anyone on the team,which is of great value. Like many young players without many games at top level, he doesn't always evaluate the situation correctly, but I think that will come with experience. He can became a bit too optimistic about what he can do at AFL level, but I think he can easily adjust to this. I am sure the coaches will point this out to him.

He is also a bit quicker than I originally thought.

We know now that Rhyce is out again this week. Geelong are a tough team and will can hurt you if you make mistakes. But I think Tony did well enough to get another game.

I would switch Bird and Dre for the vest. Steve Johnson played last week coming off of surgery and no match time and racked up something like 26 possessions. I think Birdy can play out a full game, and he's always a solid performer.

Blog Entries
    I think Armstrong is a much better player than he showed on Saturday.

Goes up to 11
    I'm in the 'Keep Tony' camp as I think his run and distribution from the back line is important with Rhyce out. I also think Birdy will be important and hopefully he'll have a full game in him. That leaves Andrejs and Morton and I think we need Mitch's smarts around goal this week.

As for sub - Jetts did cross my mind but he's important for our structure. So it's probably down to Andrejs/Mitch or Tony as the last players in. Goodsey would make a handy sub but I can't quite see that happening.....

Page 4 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast