Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Round 5: Sydney Swans Reserves v Hills Eagles

How'd Bird go tonight?

Can you feel it? Site Admin ugg's Avatar
    Combined well with Jesse at the centre bounces, the two of them seemed to have a good understanding between them. Many clearances to his name.

Quote Originally Posted by ugg View Post
    Combined well with Jesse at the centre bounces, the two of them seemed to have a good understanding between them. Many clearances to his name.
    Good to hear. We need Bird in our top 22 next week - a very underated footballer imo.
    "You get the feeling that like Monty Python's Black Knight, the Swans would regard amputation as merely a flesh wound."

I've asked Crouchy if we can keep Head. I was in the Redzone, just behind the goals, and some of the things he did do not come from anything but instinct. Has a 20 year old face, and although looked big bodied has a bit of muscle development to go - for instance no comparison to Tommy Walsh except for basic build.

Enjoyed this game. If you put a bag on Xavier Richards head you would always pick who he is. Sooo like Ted.
    Love watching BJ (Brandon Jack, that's his call sign) in action. He always looks like he is totally involved and having fun, and with a bit of polish and about another 20 kilos he'll be a keeper.
    Have a fair bit of time for Alex Brown too. Has matured a lot in a short time, plays like a grown up.
    Jesse, dear Jesse. Gosh he works hard, and I have a fondness for him, and in the VFL he would be a star.
    Shane Biggs is on a mission.

No grandstanding, no stuffing around, just getting in there and playing a game where they did not relax until the last siren went. Played it out to the end.

Glad to hear Rhyce was involved "over there". He is not a man who takes kindly to not playing, even in ressies. He is very much after the type of man that Fruity is, and I had all the time in the world for that man. Rhyce would make a great runner. One day. Probably a great assistant coach.

I think Birdy is behind the rest of the seniors preparation wise this season. It happens.
    Last edited by Primmy; 20th April 2013 at 11:51 AM.
    If you've never jumped from one couch to the other to save yourself from lava then you didn't have a childhood

Quote Originally Posted by Primmy View Post
    I've asked Crouchy if we can keep Head. I was in the Redzone, just behind the goals, and some of the things he did do not come from anything but instinct. Has a 20 year old face, and although looked big bodied has a bit of muscle development to go - for instance no comparison to Tommy Walsh except for basic build.

Enjoyed this game. If you put a bag on Xavier Richards head you would always pick who he is. Sooo like Ted.
    Love watching BJ (Brandon Jack, that's his call sign) in action. He always looks like he is totally involved and having fun, and with a bit of polish and about another 20 kilos he'll be a keeper.
    Have a fair bit of time for Alex Brown too. Has matured a lot in a short time, plays like a grown up.
    Jesse, dear Jesse. Gosh he works hard, and I have a fondness for him, and in the VFL he would be a star.
    Shane Biggs is on a mission.

No grandstanding, no stuffing around, just getting in there and playing a game where they did not relax until the last siren went. Played it out to the end.

Glad to hear Rhyce was involved "over there". He is not a man who takes kindly to not playing, even in ressies. He is very much after the type of man that Fruity is, and I had all the time in the world for that man. Rhyce would make a great runner. One day. Probably a great assistant coach.

I think Birdy is behind the rest of the seniors preparation wise this season. It happens.
    Primmy I agree with you on Alex Brown and Shane Biggs. Mostly Biggs' kick outs were really good and his run from hb fantastic. He also was very tight on his opponent. Alex has stepped up a grade and is performing like a veteran. Makes very good decisions generally. Jesse is powering on and even against some strong opposition yesterday he was pretty good. I wouldn't be surprised if Rhyce wasn't mentoring Biggs by the way as a lot of his actions yesterday mirrored the Seniors game plan and two players, Mal & Rhyce with the run from defence and setting up play.

• Tom MITCHELL - Started and played out the full game for the first time this year. As in the previous 2 outings, started at half-forward before being rotated through the midfield. This was the quietest of his 3 games, he had no scoreboard impact, but suspect he was heavily tagged.
    • Jed LAMB - Not as dominant as last week but showed off his class with pinpoint assists to Walsh and then White. Like his ability to clear the ball from congestion with his determined bursts from packs.
    • Andrejs EVERITT - First half only. Started in the midfield as he usually does in the reserves but also spent major minutes as a roaming forward. Kicked an incredibly quick goal straight from the second quarter bounce.
    • Craig BIRD - Played exclusively as an inside midfielder, and combined well with White on many occasions at ruck contests to effect numerous clearances. He's obviously too good for this level and the main goal of getting a full game under his belt was well and truly achieved.
    • Tommy WALSH - Struggled in the first quarter against the weight of multiple opponents who were keen to prevent him getting front position. Improved in the next 2 quarters where he kicked all 5 goals, worked hard to create space for himself on the move and not get bogged down in wrestling contests against 2 or 3 Eagles. Took the forward 50 boundary throw ins and also relieved Jesse in the ruck on rare occasions.
    • Jesse WHITE - Not as dominant as last week's outing against Tuggeranong but still racked up plenty of hitouts. Improved forward play this week, grabbing two tough marks inside 50 and converting them successfully.
    • Dean TOWERS - Started the game on the wing and continued his solid form from last week, getting very involved. The highlight was a great pickup at speed of a misplaced Jordan Weir kick across half-forward before steadying and kicking an exciting running goal. However, he faded as the match went on and he was also trialed as a medium forward as well as in some centre square setups without much success.
    • Jordan LOCKYER - Again used on a wing, had more of the ball then last week but still relatively quiet given his role. Okay user of the ball when under no pressure but can be a bit slow to get rid of it when under the pump. He had two set shots on goal in the 4th quarter weren't very convincing off the boot but luckily one of them sneaked in.
    • Daniel ROBINSON - The Swans preferred to use him instead of Lloyd as an inside, clearance player despite the inclusions of Bird and Everitt this week. Very measured player, doesn't panic and takes his chances in front of goal with aplomb. His second goal summed up his equanimity perfectly - he was tucked up tight against the sideline, where the left boundary intersects the 50m arc, had a quick glimpse inwards to look for open teammates. When he saw none free, he sized up the angle, took a few steps and hooked it home no problems.
    • Brandon JACK - Pushed up the ground and won his fair share of hard ball gets. Very competitive and runs just as hard defensively as he does when has the ball. Kicked only one but could have had four as his 3 behinds were all from achievable situations.
    • Alex BROWN - This was his first full game as a KPD that I've witnessed (I couldn't count last week's thrashing) and he acquitted himself well. Punched from behind successfully, but also not afraid to run off his man to get to a contest. Most of the time that was a decision he made correctly. The only fault on his behalf was when he ran to intercept a falling ball that bounced awkwardly in front of, and then away from him allowing ex-Swan Eugene Kruger to run into an open goal. Also ran full-paced into Buchanan in one defensive 50 contest, Monty slammed him to the ground with some force but to Brown's credit he got up straight away despite being visibly affected (winded) by it. As I've mentioned before, I'm a big fan of his kicking and ball use and he set up a few goals today from the back half.
    • Xavier RICHARDS - Quiet, the only notes I had about him were his milliseconds-after-the-siren goal that was not counted (so technically not noteworthy), and the similarities in his voice and manner to Ted when barking out instructions in the backline.
    • Jake LLOYD - His performances in an outside running role have just been as impressive as his inside ones during the pre-season. He is a lovely, long kick of the football, an effective tackler with good awareness and if an opportunity opened up in the seniors I wouldn't hesistate to promote him off the rookie list.
    • Shane BIGGS - Doesn't do anything spectacular that makes you sit up and take notice but I guess his calm demeanour is something you would prefer to have in defence than one with a kamikaze approach. Took most of the kick-ins now that regular taker Cunningham is out of the side.

Topups - Left-footed key position forward Thomas Head was easily the standout, he's played in the other Sydney-based NEAFL matches before but had to stand aside as a secondary option with the presence of Membrey and Morton as his forward colleagues. I think he benefited slightly from the attention the Eagles directed towards Walsh but that's not to take anything away from his game, which included direct 3 goal assists to go along with his 4 majors. The highlight of his game wasn't from any of those 4 goals but an athletic and smart leap and punch of a bouncing ball that was heading over the sidelines allowing another topup Harrison Green to feed Walsh for a snapped goal.

Stephen Wray was involved early across the wing and half-forward, kicking the first goal of the game, a long shot right on the 50m arc and then hitting up Head on the lead for the second. Jordan Weir did well as the third tall defender alongside Brown and Richards, marking a few opponents which also included the in-form Trent Stubbs. Erol Sertbas was on the bench for most of the first half, but had more game time once Everitt was subbed off, resuming his role as a defensive half-forward who used his pace to harangue and pressure the opposition's defenders

Mitch Crawford and James Behagg were situated mostly a kick behind play and while not as physically developed as Head or Wray, were still skilful enough to contribute to the side. Lloyd Perris may still be small in stature but he wasn't afraid in going after the ball and didn't look out of place.

The Eagles proved to be an organised outfit, their defensive side of their game was of a high enough standard to be a competitive value to our midfield and forwards. Buchanan, despite carrying a few more kilos than at his mid 2000s peak, still has the nous and fighting qualities that made him an effective inside player. However I didn't spot him much towards the tail end of the game and I wonder if he went off the ground. Jamie Vlatko, like he did in the preseason practice game, proved a tough matchup. He reads the fall of the ball exceptionally well and often beat his man in one-on-one contests. He was particularly hot in the first quarter where he booted his 2 goals and set up another.

Reserves have the bye next week to coincide with the NZ trip and will resume their season when we host the Brisbane Lions Reserves on Sunday 5th May 9.30 am (booooo) at the SCG.

Swans 5.3 12.8 17.12 22.16 (148)
    Eagles 4.0 6.4 10.7 13.8 (86)

Goals: Walsh 5, Head 4, Everitt 2, Lloyd 2, Robinson 2, White 2, Jack, Lamb, Lockyer, Towers, Wray

pr. dim-melb; m not f
    Thanks ugg, Primmy, Liz, Wolftone and other posters. Always value your input.
    He reminds him of the guys, close-set, slow, and never rattled, who were play-makers on the team. (John Updike, seeing Josh Kennedy in a crystal ball)

I just went to the Swans Official Website (we all know that RWo is where you really find out anything Swans). They are starting to get slack again. No Reserves info about the weekends match, no highlights, nothing about the Twos since they kicked the hell out of Tugga. What is it ! SLACK! Liz, Ugg, Scott & co don't get paid to do this but the people who do the official site do, it is a part of their job.

I might be expecting too much but I don't think it is that hard for the PR department of our footy club to keep fans informed. Good PR is GOLD bad PR is FIRE. Jus=t to even post an article would be good.

To be fair to them, they released a report straight after the game and highlights are usually out on Tuesday

Quote Originally Posted by ugg View Post
    To be fair to them, they released a report straight after the game and highlights are usually out on Tuesday
    A very small report that I just found under 'Short break No Barrier etc. That is why I didn't find it before because a pre-match preview had similar title. Ta Ugg. But I would still like to see a bit more. I would also like to see updates on progress of players like Mitchell. When they were doing injury reports he went totally off the radar as soon as he started back with the main group. I think we were all wondering what was happening with him and if he would play soon. He is and that is great. now Rooster is off the radar and would like to know a little more about his progress.

the reserves report has become just a bit stingy. No best players or anything.

Veteran Site Admin
    Quote Originally Posted by wolftone57 View Post
    the reserves report has become just a bit stingy. No best players or anything.
    "Best players" is of limited value, IMO, as you have players at very different stages of their development, tasked with different roles, and with different things they are focussed on. Even in past years, the best players named by the club would frequently differ from those that spectators would pick, based on mst observable impact on a game. Such a list is usually a poor indicator as to who is next in line for a senior game.

There is best player data given each week. The list is on the NEAFL site. One minor problem is that they list the 6 names without points beside them. UGG takes the nominations as ranked (as commonsense would have it) from the first name awarded 6 points and the last 1 point. The NEAFL site does it 1 to 6. I'm not sure whether I should push the issue or keep out of it as none of my concern.

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast