Thread: Swans media love-in

Swans media love-in

I guess because it's a Friday night game, and s our first against another top side, there's plenty of media attention on the Swans. If you don't mind the the odd feeling of agreeing with Robert Walls, it's all positive.

Walls likes our midfield and forward setup. Talking about last week's game:

It started in the ruck, where Sydney's tandem team of Mike Pyke and Shane Mumford monstered the opposition to dominate the hit-outs. In turn, the ground-level players at the stoppages (Josh Kennedy, Luke Parker, Kieren Jack and Ryan O'Keefe) won the clearances 20 to 10.

The forward set-up included three talls: either Pyke/Mumford, Sam Reid and Adam Goodes. All were bigger than their opponents, so the North defenders were hellbent on spoiling in marking contests. The Swans were aware of this, so their midfielders and small forwards swarmed to the front of marking contests to crumb and share the inevitable ground balls.
    The Hun mangles the old Demetriou quote but has some interesting stats as well as praise from KB, Andrew Welsh and Scott Lucas:

Do you remember when AFL chief executive Andrew Demetriou called the Swans' style "boring" in 2005?

Anyone who saw the third quarter against the Roos - in which the Swans kicked 11 goals in a term for the first time since Round 5, 1995 - would not be thinking of the team as a pack of ugly ducklings.
    Welsh:
    "Teams come out and throw everything at them early in games and you think, 'Geez, are the Swans up to it?', but they come out after halftime having taken on that first battle and just keep at that consistent level," Welsh said.

"They know what to do to get the job done and before you know it, you look up, like the last two weeks, they're 40 points up.
    Even Tom Hawkins has encouragement for Sam Reid:
    "He's tall, he can run and jump. He takes the ball at the highest part and he works really hard like his brother (Ben). Over time he will fulfil his potential and beliefs of what he can be in the future."
    The man who laughs has not yet heard the terrible news

Cue loss.

Happy and I know it
    It always worries me when the media talks us up.
    All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing. - Edmund Burke

Can you feel it? Site Admin ugg's Avatar
    I'm puzzled, if the media doesn't rate us they are biased, shortsighted and uneducated. But if they do rate us, it it of great concern and 'almost always' results in a loss?

Ego alta, ergo ictus Ruck'n'Roll's Avatar
    Speaking about the Swans and the media, the silly 80's comedy "Caddyshack" was on the idiot box last week and I taped it. Then I wantched it after the North games.

caddyshack_gopher2.jpgcaddyshack-gopher-dancing.jpg

I'm just wondering if anyone spotted any resemblance between our bearded Benny and the other furry little creature?

1_03NMSy13LC%201372.jpg536975_thumb.png
    Loose translation from the Latin is - I am tall, so I hit out.

Quote Originally Posted by Ruck'n'Roll View Post
    Speaking about the Swans and the media, the silly 80's comedy "Caddyshack" was on the idiot box last week and I taped it. Then I wantched it after the North games.

caddyshack_gopher2.jpgcaddyshack-gopher-dancing.jpg

I'm just wondering if anyone spotted any resemblance between our bearded Benny and the other furry little creature?

1_03NMSy13LC%201372.jpg536975_thumb.png

The question is which one is taller?

Quote Originally Posted by erica View Post
    It always worries me when the media talks us up.
    With Walls on our side, what could go wrong?
    The man who laughs has not yet heard the terrible news

The major point is that those who are talking us up are those who have actually seen our games, i.e., Welsh, and etc. Word is probably filtering back from the newer commentators on the block that the old and ignorant are, well, old and ignorant. Having Harley and B2, as well as Spike and Welsh commentating is not doing us any harm. They have also had to listen to crap commentating in their playing days and probably have organised an internal uprising of standards.

The Hun.....anyway

Hawkins has played against us and rates us as he should.

Not to worry ugg, its just the shock that we are getting any publicity at all, let alone favourable stuff. We don't quite know what to do with it.

Absolutely LOVE the gopher!! Class time wasting effort. Brilliant.
    If you've never jumped from one couch to the other to save yourself from lava then you didn't have a childhood