Page 11 of 13 FirstFirst ... 78910111213 LastLast

Thread: Rnd 4 Vs Geelong

I think losing LRT was a significant moment we were stretching there defence with LRT out there, watched armstrong and Rampe closely and although both looked ok with the ball I was dissapointed with their defensive positioning at times were caught out at many stoppages. Mcglynn should have learnt from his first 50 penalty once you mouth off just once the umps are waiting for you to do it again, just a dumb thing to do these days. jetta needs to gain some confidence he is ball watching. - out for lamb?. Mumford looks out of form or confidence or maybe carrying a little niggle Pyke is definately our no1 ruckman atm. We need bird as a run with player should come in for LRT, reid is doing what he is susposed to do bring the ball to ground and not allow the defence a contested mark in our 50. High intensity macth Geelong matched the intensity for 4 qtrs we didnt good game of footy.

Cheers

waz

Blog Entries
    I think after 1/2 time they did to us what we normally do to other teams.
    They smothered us with unrelenting pressure.
    They always had multiple players tackling us, gave us no room to move, caused the turn over, and slingshot down the field.

Well done cats on outplaying the Swans at our own game.

Quote Originally Posted by Reggi View Post
    I find this goal for goal crap really annoying. Good sides don't play in shoot outs

Absolutely 100% with Reggi on this one.

As a neutral it may be enjoyable, but I turned to my mate at qtr time and we both said at the same time "WTF, was that @@@@??"

Footscray supporters may have enjoyed that style of footy a few years ago when they played it every week and it got them to a few Prelims, but it's the very reason they didn't get any further.

It's great kicking goals, but I find unaccountable footy where the opposition wanders thru at their leisure totally frustrating. I'll be very interested to hear if Longmire and co. in the box thought it outstanding....
    Driver of the Dan Hannebery bandwagon....all aboard. 4th April 09

Quote Originally Posted by ScottH View Post
    I think after 1/2 time they did to us what we normally do to other teams.
    They smothered us with unrelenting pressure.
    They always had multiple players tackling us, gave us no room to move, caused the turn over, and slingshot down the field.

Well done cats on outplaying the Swans at our own game.
    Yep! I was getting frustrated at their fortunate bounce of the ball but thats what happens when you're hungry for it. Their players were working the double shift last night. They wanted it. Bad.

I wondered if I could bring myself to open this thread. It was an exhilerating first quarter that was ultimately frightening because something had to give. Frustrating, fruitless game. Defense needed Shaw to bully them back into accountability. NicMal tried to do too much, front and back. Covering for LRT I think but it left the defense stretched too thin.

Can anyone tell me WhatTha is going on with Jetts?

As for umpiring, three teams out there.

We got bullied. Well one shining light. At least we didn't play today, its freezing and pissing with rain.
    If you've never jumped from one couch to the other to save yourself from lava then you didn't have a childhood

The result was disappointing.

We have room to improve and will need to do it quickly if we want to be a serious part of September.

Cat were very good from the halfway mark of the 2nd quarter. (9 unanswered goals will do it every time - late in the 2nd to early in the last quarter)

Bird didn't impress fully in the seconds - however should be an in if fit. Shaw also if he was fit.

Losing LRT was the turning point.

I hope that we are able to catch up the extra 2 - 3 weeks training that that cats have had this year and we are more competitive from now on.

I guess a couple of hard games vs a couple of soft games makes you ready to play!

Swans, get ready to play!

Rod_

Sir Ashmole Gruntbucket hot potato's Avatar
    A bit early in the (Swans) season to come up against a very hot Cats (as quick as ever) outfit, the umps (they all love Cats) and the bounce of the ball went the way of the hungrier team. Goodes didn't allow for the wind kicking for goal, Hawkins did.
    HP

Veterans List
    Always pays to carefully watch a replay before jumping to conclusions. My impressions after doing this are that we didn't apply enough pressure, Geelong are genuinely quicker (leg speed) than us and we got beaten at the centre bounces (be interesting to see what the stats say) which put the backs under enormous pressure.

We've got some passengers, Reid I can live with as he provides structure but Jetta needs to be green vested to break the lethargy cycle.

As for the umpiring, they were gifted at least 3 maybe 4 goals that assisted them building momentum and scoreboard pressure. I had a couple of slomo looks at Grundy's fend off - not a free kick, as for Benny getting pinged for below knee contact - what joke, no contact and he was at the ball first the Geelong player arrived later. I absolutely spew about the high contact frees Geelong milk, FFS umps, wisen up to them, it's a blight on the game.

We are badly missing AJ & Shaw, Rampe and Armstrong are streets behind those two, Amstrong just doesn't look strong enough, quick enough or composed enough to be a Premiership quality player. Rampe looks the better bet longer term. LRT going out gives us the opportunity to downsize a little and go for a quick player. I'd like to see Lamb given 2-3 weeks in the seniors to see if he can crack it. Ressie watchers, has Lamb got genuine pace as well as the footy smarts I hear about?

Veteran Site Admin
    Quote Originally Posted by 707 View Post
    Ressie watchers, has Lamb got genuine pace as well as the footy smarts I hear about?
    Not really. When he's "on" and playing at high intensity I think he reaches his top pace reasonably quickly, which means he can look as if he moves through traffic reasonably quickly. But his top speed isn't particularly quick - certainly not at the level of someone like Jack. He's probably not too dissimilar to Parker, in that he has a bull-in-a-china-shop approach without being really pacy.

At NEAFL level this year and late last year, he did look as if he has quite a quick footy brain, enabling him to size up a situation quickly and usually make good decisions. How this will translate into the much higher intensity of senior football remains to be seen.

Swans need to be more consistent the whole game

Senior Player
    Sat behind the bench last night, what worried me most was the general lack of match fitness. Pretty much every player looked shot 10 minutes out from 3/4 time. I'm surprised Cats didn't completely run over us.

Apart from that, a combination of things went wrong. LRT coming off (and Hanners first whack at the same time) really seemed to throw things out. Team structure just broke down from that point on. Not much Morton could do when he had to substitute for the wrong guy. Cats always seemed to have an extra man and just ran through the middle almost at will. Richards did a sterling job in the first half, but couldn't hold Hawkins indefinitely. And a few normally reliables had a pretty bad night (notably Kennedy and Parker).

Well, I've seen worse losses. Hopefully it's the one we had to have.

Warming the Bench
    Whenever we are the outright favourites the Swans lose intensity. They prefer underdog status and like proving critics wrong.... they need their backs against the wall to get utmost out of the players by the look of it.

Also agree regarding umpiring. Extremely lopsided and timed to assist Geelong. Magically even out by the end of the match by awarding frees when they have already been marked by a Swan. Fifties given at random. What the??
    Last weekend in Sept 05 - The best weekend of my life!

Page 11 of 13 FirstFirst ... 78910111213 LastLast