Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast

Thread: Changes for Round 5 v Saints

Agree with most of what Wolftone said.

I am not against the AFL trying to protect players from major injury, but it has become a very difficult game to umpire. There's a conflict between protecting the head and protecting the legs, keeping your eyes on the ball and paying enough attention to the other players regarding duty of care. There was a comment about the game being less enjoyable to watch because of the umpiring, and they are probably right. I usually don't blame the umps, but we really were hurt badly by the calls on Friday.

Overall, I think we played on a par with Geelong. Aside from the umpiring, we lost because we played into their hands. We must have put some work into Selwood, but it didn't show. He just killed us. Even if he didn't milk fouls, he would still be a great player. The rules favour him, because he uses his head as a battering ram. There's something wrong with the game when good acting is rewarded.

There were some good signs on Friday. Pyke, Kizza, Macca, Mal, Benny, Jude and especially Hanners had very good games. Taylor Hunt has been playing great footy this year, so maybe we can say that Jetta did a good job negating his influence. Maybe the slingshot is shot and we need to find another role for Jetta, perhaps a small forward leading into space. We can play him more forward and bring Benny more up the ground, which he seems to do a lot of anyway.

I think our failings are all correctable and we still look like a very good team.

We should bring in Bird, Lamb and Dre, in that order, depending on how many come out -- probably LRT, Armstrong and Morton (in that order). Hard to imagine that Hanners can play a full season with the kind of punishment he takes each game.

Warming the Bench
    I wasn't stating he was a bad kick, more saying that he could have the kicking skills of a ruck man and I'd still prefer him over Armstrong and his poor defensive efforts.

Actually I think the rule changes favour geelong's recruiting at the expense of ours. And I personally hate the rule changes and overall philosophy of the afl. What they are creating is a move the game on at all speed at all times - Geelong for example had players repeatedly told to play on on Friday night after going back behind their mark and looking at options. But this creates a game where speed is the most precious commodity, not skill. The whole game is based on dropping the ball forwards, clearing to the outside and running. And if you look at the rule changes regarding ruckmen it has been to favour the athlete over the strength player.

Personally this annoys me because as someone who was always very very slow sport for me was about using my brain courage and strength t beat opponents. But the afl is directed towards favouring the fast over any other ability.

I know we had a bit of a debate anew weeks ago about Jude getting caught, dropping the ball and then the player falling into his back. This is ow happening every single game. Every player gets a free for someone falling not their back but no one ever gets frees any more for dropping the ball. In fact you will get a free for not trying hard enough to drop it, not for incorrect disposal.

Because of this stoppages are dropping out of the game, and the inside players are becoming more of a luxury as teams are loading up on the pacy outside runners

Veterans List
    What you are saying there MH is that the game now favours the soft players. Tend to agree but as happens things seem to swing around and change as the season goes on. I haven't looked at the stats but it appears more frees are getting paid in games more so for very soft reasons. Last night in the WCE and Carlton game a player got a free for supposedly holding the arm of a player as they raced neck and neck for the footy. The replay showed that the player touched or knocked the other players arm but did not grab him. How the umpire could see the action from his position let alone interpret it the way he did is beyond me. Did you see the one Gilbert got a free for. He was was running back with the flight of the ball to stop an opponent marking, took his eyes off the footy, appeared to make slight contact with his opponent, then got the free. The business of players getting frees for in the back is rather perplexing. Where a couple of years ago they stopped giving frees to players who deliberately fell forward at the notion a player was behind them or dropped the knees to take a fall, now they get the free even after they have incorrectly disposed of the ball. It appears OK for a player to dispose of the ball as they wish.

Last night a WCE player did a 2 hand throw over the boundary. No free for a throw or deliberate out of bounds.

Veterans List
    Quote Originally Posted by jono2707 View Post
    Lamb would be ideal for NZ...
    If he does go I hope he doesn't get a roasting from the coach.

Quote Originally Posted by Nico View Post
    Oh dear, we need some speed off teh HB line, I don't really know who, but we need to find some backup in that area, Lamb, Towers?
    You can't argue with a sick mind - Joe Walsh

Quote Originally Posted by Nico View Post
    So long as he doesn't shank anything he should be right.
    Officially on the Reid and Sumner bandwagon!

Quote Originally Posted by BSA5 View Post
    So long as he doesn't shank anything he should be right.
    If he gets a start and plays well on thursday many posters on here will be feeling pretty sheepish.

Out: LRT (if injured)
    In: The Great White Hope
    LRT. Lord Roberts-Thompson. He may look like the Munster, but looks can be deceiving.

2012 Bloods Premiers.

Senior Player
    Quote Originally Posted by swanspant12 View Post
    Out: LRT (if injured)
    In: The Great White Hope
    This. White has been emergency every round so far - surely he's the one to come in for LRT.

Quote Originally Posted by swansrob View Post
    This. White has been emergency every round so far - surely he's the one to come in for LRT.
    Yep. Whitey had a great pre-season aswell. Honestly ive never understood the bagging of Whitey. He's a good all round ruckman and can go forward. He applies pressure and can kick a snag. Stop the white farce horse!
    LRT. Lord Roberts-Thompson. He may look like the Munster, but looks can be deceiving.

2012 Bloods Premiers.

Quote Originally Posted by swanspant12 View Post
    Yep. Whitey had a great pre-season aswell. Honestly ive never understood the bagging of Whitey. He's a good all round ruckman and can go forward. He applies pressure and can kick a snag. Stop the white farce horse!
    He hasn't had a chance to show his improvement at AFL level, and unlikely to get that opportunity at a team with the depth of the Swans, unless there are more injuries than we would like to think about. I believe I suggested that he be rotated with Pyke last year and thought they were about equal. Boy, was I wrong about that one. He is also out of contract at the end of the season and we probably need to unload his salary to fit in Tippett. So it's hard to see him remaining at the club next year.

I hope he gets an opportunity somewhere next near. It seems to have worked for Cambo. If he went to the Cats instead of McIntosh, White would probably be playing now.

Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast