Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Rampe > Armstrong

Rampe > Armstrong

Rampe has been quite a find, really stepping up. His speed, run, defensive pressure, tackling and thumping left boot have all impressed.

While Armstrong played quite well on the weekend, I still have a question mark over his defensive pressure and tackling in particular. He reminds me of a young Nic Mal, while not such a long kick he is accurate in his delivery, I remember the defensive question marks that hung around Mal early in his career.

With the return of Shaw who is presumably an automatic selection, it will be interesting to see which of these boys will retain their place.
    The eternal connundrum "what happens when an unstoppable force meets an immovable object" was finally solved when David Hasselhoff punched himself in the face.

Good call BH. In Jimmy's opinion, Armstrong should be played more as a half-forward/wingman. Good athleticism, skills and hands in tight. I know the club is grooming him to play as the replacement for when Shawy finishes up but I don't think he has the concentration or defensive nouse. Time will tell though. Rampe has been absolute brilliant. Thrown in the deep end and has seamlessly fitted in straight away. Love the way he goes about it.
    LRT. Lord Roberts-Thompson. He may look like the Munster, but looks can be deceiving.

2012 Bloods Premiers.

Rampe does have a decent long kick on him

i am sure he has been instructed to lower the eyes and keep it simple

Rampe has a tendency to be very attacking but my gut feeling is that his role would have been simplified for now in his counter attack !

He will bit by bit be allowed to start rebounding a little more and this will be exciting to watch !
    "be tough, only when it gets tough"

Agree. Rampe oozes "defender" qualities.

Armstrong will be good but maybe not as a defender. Reminds me of a young mcveigh at the moment. Midfield, wing, half forward perhaps ?

Veterans List
    Rampe is a find, mostly looks calm in the heat of the moment whereas Armstrong looks panicy and can't make a tackle stick. If Shaw comes back Armstrong must be the one to go.

Agree that Armstrong looks more wingman/half forward than defender.

Quote Originally Posted by barry View Post
    Agree. Rampe oozes "defender" qualities.

Armstrong will be good but maybe not as a defender. Reminds me of a young mcveigh at the moment. Midfield, wing, half forward perhaps ?
    He's not as clean below the knees as Macca, and certainly doesn't have the poise. Macca is an absolute star. I can see Army playing the midfield/half-forward role as you suggested though.
    LRT. Lord Roberts-Thompson. He may look like the Munster, but looks can be deceiving.

2012 Bloods Premiers.

Rampe is looking the goods very quickly. Another thing in his favour is that, although we have plenty of lefties at the club, only one of them (Mattner) regularly plays in our backline.
    Today's a draft of your epitaph

Quote Originally Posted by Doctor View Post
    Rampe is looking the goods very quickly. Another thing in his favour is that, although we have plenty of lefties at the club, only one of them (Mattner) regularly plays in our backline.
    Smith and Mal are also lefties.

Rampe reminds me a bit of the younger Mattner. When he first came to the Swans and when he was with the Crows, he provided a lot of drive from back with his run and long kicking. Rampe actually has a lot more poise at the same stage of their respective careers. The rebound aspect of Mattner's game has fallen off a lot, perhaps leaving those things to the likes of Shaw and Malceski. Mattner's tackling and 1%ers are very valuable, but otherwise I would prefer to see Rampe in the team ahead of Mattner at this time, if I had to choose. Maybe it's pushing the clock forward a bit too fast, but you can see it coming.

You're right. Dunno what the hell I was smoking this morning. I blame being at the Black Sabbath gig last night!
    Today's a draft of your epitaph

Quote Originally Posted by Doctor View Post
    You're right. Dunno what the hell I was smoking this morning. I blame being at the Black Sabbath gig last night!
    So how was it Doc? Did Ozzie make it through the whole gig? I also really like the look of Rampe.

scott names the planets stellation's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Ludwig View Post

Rampe reminds me a bit of the younger Mattner. When he first came to the Swans and when he was with the Crows, he provided a lot of drive from back with his run and long kicking. Rampe actually has a lot more poise at the same stage of their respective careers. The rebound aspect of Mattner's game has fallen off a lot, perhaps leaving those things to the likes of Shaw and Malceski. Mattner's tackling and 1%ers are very valuable, but otherwise I would prefer to see Rampe in the team ahead of Mattner at this time, if I had to choose. Maybe it's pushing the clock forward a bit too fast, but you can see it coming.
    I think Rampe over Mattner is getting a bit ahead of ourselves, and whilst I love to see the kids play I'd be very disappointed if that call was made as a selection policy and not form point.

Veterans List
    Quote Originally Posted by Ludwig View Post

Mattner had an interrupted pre season and looks like he is just getting back some touch. Pretty ordinary conditions probably didn't help his cause. Rampe has slotted in to cover for Johnson and has picked up the role really well. He is getting back to help Ted and Reg as did Johno and is also getting possession further up the field. He seems to have a really good tank. Again amazing recruiting for a specific position. My worry was he was going to be a bit loose with such little experience but that appears not to be the case.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast