Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Official AFL player ratings

Quote Originally Posted by i'm-uninformed2 View Post
    I'm laughing harder.

Colin Sylvia better than Dan Hannebery . . . Too funny

Jack Watts ranked higher than Ted Richards as a defender . . . Spot it, I'm going to wet myself.
    Hehehe what a misrepresentation some of the ratings are! I know that any statistical based system will always struggle in the eye of fans, as it forgets the qualitative aspects of football and the unquantifiable parts of the game. But you can tell where the bias lies, as its just like Brownlow voting - 26 out of the top 30 are midfielders.

The defenders is where the stats really lie in my opinion (and fail to take into consideration non-quantifiable aspects). Shannon Hurn, Brent Reilly, Andrew Walker, Pearce Hanley and Jack Watts all better defenders than Ted Richards. Someone's having a laugh!
    "You get the feeling that like Monty Python's Black Knight, the Swans would regard amputation as merely a flesh wound."

Veterans List
    Quote Originally Posted by mcs View Post
    Hehehe what a misrepresentation some of the ratings are! I know that any statistical based system will always struggle in the eye of fans, as it forgets the qualitative aspects of football and the unquantifiable parts of the game. But you can tell where the bias lies, as its just like Brownlow voting - 26 out of the top 30 are midfielders.

The defenders is where the stats really lie in my opinion (and fail to take into consideration non-quantifiable aspects). Shannon Hurn, Brent Reilly, Andrew Walker, Pearce Hanley and Jack Watts all better defenders than Ted Richards. Someone's having a laugh!
    None of those players featured in the Golden Fist Award. Spud will be outraged; Teddy won it.

Veterans List
    Jack Watts better than Teddy - any chance we could get him to the Swans in this years trading? That would give us TWO top defenders next year :-)

Also, maybe we could swap that dud Hanners for Sylvia in the same trade package with the Tankers.

Ooooh, roll on 2014 if we could pull those trades off!

On a more serious note, I wonder what value the Tankers could get for Watts later this year? IMO I reckon he is worth a 20-25 pick and would be good value for a top team for that level of pick. He's going to end up a nobody if he stays at the Tankers.

Quote Originally Posted by 707 View Post
    Jack Watts better than Teddy - any chance we could get him to the Swans in this years trading? That would give us TWO top defenders next year :-)

Also, maybe we could swap that dud Hanners for Sylvia in the same trade package with the Tankers.

Ooooh, roll on 2014 if we could pull those trades off!

On a more serious note, I wonder what value the Tankers could get for Watts later this year? IMO I reckon he is worth a 20-25 pick and would be good value for a top team for that level of pick. He's going to end up a nobody if he stays at the Tankers.
    No doubt that in a better team he'll look a hell of a lot better player. I wonder if the same applies for Tom Scully as well.
    "You get the feeling that like Monty Python's Black Knight, the Swans would regard amputation as merely a flesh wound."

pr. dim-melb; m not f
    Quote Originally Posted by mcs View Post
    No doubt that in a better team he'll look a hell of a lot better player. I wonder if the same applies for Tom Scully as well.
    From the little I've seen, Scully is looking pretty good right now. I bet he's glad he's not at Melbourne.
    He reminds him of the guys, close-set, slow, and never rattled, who were play-makers on the team. (John Updike, seeing Josh Kennedy in a crystal ball)

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123