Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Colless to leave at end of season

My 2 memories of contact with Richard are pleasant indeed. Firstly at the team of the century do he started his speech and people were still talking so I said loudly, "I'm listening!!' He replied, "I glad someone is" and the others then shut up. Secondly, Erin (Eirrin), Bec (Tuesday)and I were walking round the "G" to get to the correct gate for the 2005 Grand Final and caught up to Richard and his wife and Erin gave them some of her lucky biscuits. They were very appreciative.
    Richard's contribution has been outstanding. I tips me 'at.
    "The Dog days are over, The Dog days are gone" Florence and the Machine

Reefer Madness
    Blog Entries
    Wow. Very sad indeed, but good for him.

As influential as any single person, player, coach, you name it to pass through our club since we've been in Sydney.

You don't become the most respected and stable club, one of the most consistent teams and a regular premiership contender unless you have first-class leadership at the very top.

And yes - as those on here who've met him will attest - a top bloke too.
    'Delicious' is a fun word to say

Outer wing, Lake Oval Sandridge's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by dawson View Post
    For many fans who supported the Swans before 1996, was has happened in the 17 years since still makes you want to pinch yourself to make sure it's not a dream. The club was a shambles and no-one in the league respected us.

Richard's dream has definitely become a reality and for this we owe him a massive debt of gratitude that we can never adequately repay.
    Absolutely!

On the Rookie List

Colless to leave at end of season

Quote Originally Posted by liz View Post
    He's made an extraordinary contribution to the success of this club. Extraordinary. You just have to look at the state the club was at in the early 90s when he first came on board.
    Absolutely. He can quite rightly be possibly considered as the most important individual in our Club's history. Impossible to exaggerate his contribution - a wonderful Ambassador for the Swans and a real Gentleman, he'll be sorely missed.
    Regards,

Boro Boy

Regular in the Side Velour&Ruffles's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by dawson View Post
    For many fans who supported the Swans before 1996, was has happened in the 17 years since still makes you want to pinch yourself to make sure it's not a dream. The club was a shambles and no-one in the league respected us.

Richard's dream has definitely become a reality and for this we owe him a massive debt of gratitude that we can never adequately repay.
    This. An incredibly important figure in the history of the Swans.
    The only other off field guy I can think of who deserves to be mentioned in the same breath is Craig (Just Jeans) Kimberley, who basically kept the club alive out of his own pocket for a few years there.
    My opinion is objective truth in its purest form

I remember at the final at ANZ last year. Towards the end of the game, we could not be beaten, and hence would go on to Melbourne Grand Final. As we kicked another goal, Richard wrote into his Record the name of the scorer.

I was whopping and cheering and making flight arrangements; he was doing that 1% that is a feature of the 'now' Swans.

Fantastic example

Senior Player
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by ScottH View Post
    It's almost like your favourite player retiring.
    I feel a bit the same, Scott. He might not have been in the media spotlight as often as an Eddie McGuire but he still understands the Sydney market better than anyone and when he does speak up, it's usually worth listening to.

Agree with the sentiments above. Under Colless we've become one of the most respected sporting clubs in the land.

Plus it's good to see even at his send-off he (rightly) sticks it to Eddie. I don't normally have a problem with Maguire but over the COLA saga he's plumbing new depths by the week:

"For Eddie to say in the Carlton-Adelaide match after Taylor Walker went down it's a pity their other key forward (Kurt Tippett) isn't playing is because of the cost of living allowance is really tacky," Colless said.
    The man who laughs has not yet heard the terrible news

Probably the most influential man in the entire history of the Swans, aside from those who formed the club.

There's a telling quote somewhere were Bobby Skilton says "The club has been looked down on for most of my life, but now the Swans are held up as role models." Richard Colless did that.
    The eternal connundrum "what happens when an unstoppable force meets an immovable object" was finally solved when David Hasselhoff punched himself in the face.

This news could be expected, but i still didn't expect it. I started supporting the Swans in the late 90s / early 2000s so he has been a constant fixture for me. Very sad news, but am so proud of the way he has led and transformed our club to be what it is today.

I'd like to echo the thoughts of everyone else. We owe Richard Colless a tremendous amount for the work he has done to establish our club to the level that he has and for being prepared to stand up to the AFL when it was necessary. I wish him all the best for whatever he does next.
    Today's a draft of your epitaph

On the Rookie List BillyRayCypress's Avatar
    This is from part of a regular email I receive from Harry Beitzel regarding Richard:

"Every day produces more big-time AFL news and this week?s highlights are headed by Richard Colless? decision to vacate the position of Chairman of The Swans.

He will be missed. He leaves mighty, big shoes to fill.

Importantly he leaves what was a ?cot-case? club to now the most respected and the ?blueprint for sports, clubs culture? to be emulated.

I am qualified on this subject as I?ve virtually lived in Sydney since 1995. I reported on the original and heated debate of shifting South Melbourne to Sydney. I broadcast the original ?trial? matches in Sydney at the SCG in the late 1970s and four in 1980 and two in 1981. I was there to welcome Barry Round and his boys on their official relocation of South Melbourne to Sydney on St Patrick?s Day, March 17, 1982.

The Sydney Swans were launched and went paddling along.

Bill Collins, the famous ?race caller? and a fanatical Swans supporter was the original President and somewhat of an innovation, Sir James Hardy the Yachtsman and Wine expert, was the original Chairman. The club always boasted the ?big name? personalities as its leaders. Then followed Michael Edgley, the colourful Doctor Geoff Edelsten, the Sydney Lord Mayor Doug Sutherland, Michael Willesee restored the President?s title in 1989 with John Gerahty his Chairman. The dual leadership lasted until 1995 with Peter Weinert moving after five years as Chairman to President.
    The AFL was called in for a second time as the ?private? ownership was bankrupted and sent top administrators Alan Schwab and Ken Gannon to help rescue the Sydney Swans AFL Club.

I suspect Alan Schwab, before his tragic death, appointed Richard Colless as Chairman in 1994. This saved The Swans! Stability and fundamental accounting and commercial principles were installed ?off-field? and the club was rebuilt around a strong business administration. And so followed a stronger ?on field? performance with the Grand Final in 1996 as Runners-up to North Melbourne.

As a fanatical AFL fan I thank ?the quiet achiever?, Richard Colless, for first rescuing and secondly establishing AFL in Sydney. Well Done!
    I?m Harry Beitzel and That?s My Say!?
    Nothing like a good light bulb moment.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast