Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Colless to leave at end of season

pr. dim-melb; m not f
    Nice one BRC.
    He reminds him of the guys, close-set, slow, and never rattled, who were play-makers on the team. (John Updike, seeing Josh Kennedy in a crystal ball)

Has been fantastic for the club and if doesn't already should have life membership

OK, here's the thing. An engraved beer mug is just not going to cut it. We the people need to think of something appropriate that reflects what we owe Richard Colless. We have a respected and successful footy club and we probably would not have one, let alone two premierships, or kudos, or respect (well mostly) without him.

If at all possible I would love it if the club could get the SCG to honour him by naming one of the new stands after him. They wouldn't have had the financial returns either without the success of the Swans, but I know how closed they can be to that sort of suggestion. Then again we do have the Paul Kelly Race so its possible.

Thoughts? I don't think I am going over the top here. We have to be involved somehow, and making suggestions etc is a start.
    If you've never jumped from one couch to the other to save yourself from lava then you didn't have a childhood

Outer wing, Lake Oval Sandridge's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Primmy View Post
    OK, here's the thing. An engraved beer mug is just not going to cut it. We the people need to think of something appropriate that reflects what we owe Richard Colless. We have a respected and successful footy club and we probably would not have one, let alone two premierships, or kudos, or respect (well mostly) without him.

If at all possible I would love it if the club could get the SCG to honour him by naming one of the new stands after him. They wouldn't have had the financial returns either without the success of the Swans, but I know how closed they can be to that sort of suggestion. Then again we do have the Paul Kelly Race so its possible.

Thoughts? I don't think I am going over the top here. We have to be involved somehow, and making suggestions etc is a start.
    You're certainly not going over the top. Our club has gone from being the AFL's basket case to the envy of the league under Colless' leadership! I'll leave suggestions for tributes to other more creative posters but you're right Primmy - something significant needs to be done to recognise this man's magnificent contribution to our club.

Regular in the Side crackedactor's Avatar

Deserves acknowledgement

Quote Originally Posted by Sandridge View Post
    You're certainly not going over the top. Our club has gone from being the AFL's basket case to the envy of the league under Colless' leadership! I'll leave suggestions for tributes to other more creative posters but you're right Primmy - something significant needs to be done to recognise this man's magnificent contribution to our club.
    Deserves some recognition. Remember when the board wanted Terry Wallace as coach? Due to pressures from the fans and Colless being very impressed with Paul Roos presentation on the future of the club, he stuck his neck out and help convince the board to give Paul Roos the job. The rest is history with not only a premiership with Roos and his assistant also earning a premiership. An hopefully more to come.

scott names the planets stellation's Avatar
    Blog Entries

He's been fantastic, but if we actually managed to somehow squeeze in naming one of the new stands then you'd assume it'd be named after a player.

Club legend status I reckon....

Can't imagine SCG Trust would put a football administrator ahead of other deserving options for a grandstand. Nevertheless, I agree that the gold watch won't suffice. For one, I'd like to see a Richard Colless medal added to the annual awards (does clubman of the year have a name?). Or maybe it could be a new award selected and presented by the President of the day.

Maybe name some important piece of infrastructure in the club's training facilities after him. Plus life membership.

Senior Player
    Quote Originally Posted by crackedactor View Post
    Deserves some recognition. Remember when the board wanted Terry Wallace as coach? Due to pressures from the fans and Colless being very impressed with Paul Roos presentation on the future of the club, he stuck his neck out and help convince the board to give Paul Roos the job. The rest is history with not only a premiership with Roos and his assistant also earning a premiership. An hopefully more to come.
    Whoah there, a little rewriting of history there ca. It was Colless who put Wallace on the retainer, not other people on the Board. To their credit they did have the wherewithall to change their mind as Roos began to work so well during his apprenticeship. That whole period around the departure of Eade was handled very poorly, that and the slowness of other reforms (more open governance structure to the membership) puts a bit of a blot on his copybook IMO.
    I do generally agree with sentiment on this thread that his contribution has been, otherwise, overwhelmingly positive.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123