Thread: Umpires in particular some Clubbies

Umpires in particular some Clubbies

We all need umpires on the park to run the game most do it to the best of their ability. In the lower grades we have the Club Umpire in my expirence some of these are as good and at times better than the real deal but there is some that seem to have a seperate rule book from everbody else, like on the weekend the bloke that gave a fifty to his home team because someone ran to close to him no contact but to close. Yes it did bring a kick for goal. The bloke in question has been known for little things like this for some time, the decisions at times were even bringing his own bench out in laughter it was that blatant, has anyone else seen similar.

Does the Clubbie's team rhyme with Blosford?

Almost Football Legend
    The sad reality is that there are more people who want to criticise the umpires than there are people willing to take the whistle and have a go themselves.

Follow me on Twitter - @tealfooty

No nothing like it but the bloke I am thinking of is a serial offender, and gets shirty when his obvious bais is pointed out to him, maybe effing cheat could be worded a little softer

The sad thing is Norris that even his own club knows it, but even sadder is the fact when the game has been decided either way he is actually a reasonable umpire.

It's a thankless job, but some blokes just take the piss. My brother has done more than a few games and calls it as he sees it, probably gets harder on our boys than the opposition. Sadly we don't have enough of them.

What Umpire recruitment has taken place by the AFL? The clubs have more than enough to do. It's just another job they don't need. If the club umpires want to be umpires then they should join them. I suspect that they are just good blokes just trying to help out because it is compulsory. Did anyone see any adds for umpires over the off season.

Regular in the Side
    Firstly, I think it's important we don't umpire bash. It's not good for the game.
    But leaving that to one side, I feel the worst club umpires are often those who actually hold an umpiring ticket. Give me an ex-player any day.
    There is no opportunity for clubs to comment to the league on the opposition club umpire each week. If this was in place then a quiet word could be had with a club who receives constant bad reports when they use a particular umpire. The league obviously doesn't really care about the lower grades.

Quote Originally Posted by Pekay View Post
    It's a thankless job, but some blokes just take the piss. My brother has done more than a few games and calls it as he sees it, probably gets harder on our boys than the opposition. Sadly we don't have enough of them.
    You're right again Pekay...a thankless job.
    We've always hated umpires haven't we, mostly because our team doesn't get its way all the time, or because we've seen the play different from them. It's a thankless job and on this Umpires weekend, we need to remember that they are mostly just unbiased flunkies doing their best. Hey, the guys in my team aren't perfect either so we just have to cut a bit of slack to those who step up to the plate to have a dip....players and umpires alike.
    If only more people would put their hands up and have a go....

As for club umpires, my experience is that they're just good blokes who do it because it's compulsory, like Flying Swan says. Mostly, they try to do the right thing, even to the detriment of their own team, like Pekay says.

At the end of the day we're not prima donna's - just people interested in paddock footy with paddock footy umpires.
    Umpies, thanks for having a go and allowing us to have footy games every weekend.
    Last edited by justabaraker; 4th May 2013 at 03:37 AM.

It's a mixed bag when you get volunteers umpiring, hardly surprising when you consider the legacy that Yoley left on Umpiring along with Balmain FC.

Some are good, some favour away teams as they are scared of bias and some are outright cheats.

There is a simple solution - invest money and infrastructure into NSWAFL Umprining which must come from head office. It's blatantly clear that the NSWAFL is more worried about putting money into jokes like Auburn (spit) and Blacktown Mageeec than really growing the game from a grass roots.

Warming the Bench
    Quote Originally Posted by Mug Punter View Post
    It's a mixed bag when you get volunteers umpiring, hardly surprising when you consider the legacy that Yoley left on Umpiring along with Balmain FC.

Some are good, some favour away teams as they are scared of bias and some are outright cheats.

There is a simple solution - invest money and infrastructure into NSWAFL Umprining which must come from head office. It's blatantly clear that the NSWAFL is more worried about putting money into jokes like Auburn (spit) and Blacktown Mageeec than really growing the game from a grass roots.
    Can't disagree with any of that, it would be helpful if some of their limited resources were diverted away from blatant PR exercises like the aforementioned 'clubs' and into things like umpires which benefit all.

Does anyone remember the lauding of Auburn in Andy D's speech at the AFL's launch in Sydney a couple of years ago? How's that going?

As for AFL NSW/ACT Magic, it doesn't take a genius to work our why they weren't promoted to Div 2 after the Jets dropped back.

No doubt mention of their Div 3 premiership in 2013 will take Auburn's place in Andy's season launch speech next year......I'm sure the people of Blacktown will be holding a street parade as well.

Quote Originally Posted by DLH View Post
    No doubt mention of their Div 3 premiership in 2013 will take Auburn's place in Andy's season launch speech next year......I'm sure the people of Blacktown will be holding a street parade as well.
    I'd have fairly even money that none of their players even live in the Blacktown Council area. The bloke I was chatting to (who was not an AFL staffer) lived in Kellyville and said most of them lived in the Hills.

They'll probably shift operations to Breakfast Point soon.