Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Round 7: Sydney Swans Reserves v Brisbane Lions Reserves

Can you feel it? Site Admin ugg's Avatar
    @swansreserves: FT Swans 11.15 81 Lions 15.14 104 Goals: Morton 5 Towers 2 Everitt Robinson Jack Perris #goswans #neafl

@swansreserves: Lions goals Lisle 4 Newell 3 Karnezis 3 Banfield Raines Crisp Bresnehan #50 #golions #neafl #lions2

Awful quarter let us never speak of it again

SYDNEY SWANS

Goal Kickers: M. Morton 5, D. Towers 2, L. Perris , A. Everitt , D. Robinson , B. Jack
    Best Players: T. Walsh, M. Morton, J. White, T. Mitchell, A. Everitt, X. Richards
    BRISBANE LIONS

Goal Kickers: J. Lisle 4, R. Newell 3, P. Karnezis 3, T. Banfield , B. Gambale , D. Bresnehan , J. Crisp , A. Raines
    Best Players: S. Docherty, S. Michael, R. Harwood, R. Newell, J. Crisp, J. Lisle

Quote Originally Posted by ugg View Post
    Awful quarter let us never speak of it again
    I think the heat was getting to the kids and they were running out of puff. It was a lousy quarter though. I think we had 3 senior players and they had 8. That is a telling statistic. Also there were a lot of cramps in amongst the cignets, so I am not so veeerrrrrrry disappointed.

X played his heart out, and its a joy to watch, but he is no gorilla.
    BJ is a smart kid, and the others trust him.
    Mitch had a Big Day Out. MUST be pushing for selection, but at who's expense?
    Towers did some good stuff, but he patchy
    Perris had a good game, did some very fancy work at times.
    Dick is getting better.
    Everitt, is so like his brother. Looks lazy but I don't think he is. He chooses his battles.
    B ig shoutout to Jesse. He is such a team player, I don't think he is over burdened with personal ego, he is worthy of our respect.

I would like to hear ugg's appraisal before I say any more. But I have to say I think Bigg's and Lockyer could either be extremely good, or plateaux.
    If you've never jumped from one couch to the other to save yourself from lava then you didn't have a childhood

Veteran Site Admin
    Up until the final quarter it was a terrific contest and a great game to watch. Even the final quarter isn't as bad as the scoreboard suggests - the Swans did kick 8 behinds (albeit many of them long speculative shots) which shows they didn't completely stop to a standstill. They were just overrun in the end when the Lions upped the tempo at the start of the final quarter. I was expecting it to happen a bit sooner, so in many ways I was pleased that the younger Swans outfit matched it with the Lions for as long as they did.

As with most weeks, it was hard to find many stand-outs because they all played their bit. Mitch was impressive up forward and Jesse was excellent in the ruck too.

Perris didn't get a whole heap of ball but he certainly showed a few signs of quick thinking and some class. It's a shame he's not a bit bigger, and he's probably not going to grow much more at age 18. But I saw him walking alongside Jake Lloyd at one of the breaks and he's just about the same height. Lloyd is listed at 180cm, I think, so I'd guess Perris is around 178cm or so - which is Kieran Jack height and definitely big enough to make it if he's good enough.

I love the way X dashes with the ball, sometimes taking off almost before he's hit the ground after taking a mark. He's a fair bit quicker than Ted I reckon.

Dick did a few really nice things and looks like he's bulking up quite nicely. I am not sure what role he might play at senior level, if he gets there.

Towers flashed in and out of the game but took some nice overhead marks and took the game on with his pace a few times.

Lloyd and Robinson were very busy all afternoon - each has a good combination of run-all-day attitude with a healthy dose of skill.

Mitchell got to play on Black for much of the game. It was hard to see who had the best of things but what a great opportunity for him to have this experience at NEAFL level.

Everitt did what Everitt normally does - ie impress with flashes that show his great athleticism without really dominating.

Yes liz, that's who I was trying to think of. Mitchell on Black. the kid did ok, considering his opponent, hell of a learning curve. Not great, but sheesh, what the hell is Black doing playing Ressies!!!!! Unless he is mentoring them, it was a slap. Please stop playing Simon.
    If you've never jumped from one couch to the other to save yourself from lava then you didn't have a childhood

Won't have time to write the full report until mid week. Short thoughts

• Morton played 3 quarters and then withdrawn. With toppie tall forward Tom Head not sighted since the first quarter (injured?), Walsh was shifted forward to provide a focal point but the shift from his excellent work in defence unsettled our backline and when the Lions had the first few clearances of the last quarter, the remaining defenders struggled to cover. When Richards went off (looked like cramp) Walsh was shifted back onto Lisle but the damage had been done. Lions ran much harder than us in the last quarter, in particular Karnezis and Banfield left plenty of Swans trailing in their wake with their runs through the middle of the ground.
    • Morton had 5 very good goals against a quality opponent in Harwood. Tackling was just as impressive. Not sure what the issues are with him not being in the seniors, but it surely isn't form and/or workrate.
    • Jesse had less hitouts (but still some very good taps) but many more possessions than in the past 2 weeks. Wish he'd lower his eyes with some of his kicks but I sense he isn't comfortable with his ability to evade would-be tacklers.
    • Mitchell on Black was intriguing to watch. Black misplaced some kicks early on but was influential in their comeback. He's still a very classy player, the extra time he seemed to have with the ball and good decision making made him stand out from the rest of the players on both sides.
    • Everitt as he usually does lined up in the midfield, made some good plays and worked hard up and down the ground.
    • Towers as mentioned already took some strong grabs playing as a forward, but still very much a peripheral figure in the team.
    • Membrey did his best work further up the ground but couldn't impact the scoreboard. Sprayed his only set shot from a Saad-esque length run up
    • Biggs and Lockyer probably had their best games of the year, both in defence, without being standouts. Biggs in particular had plenty of handball receives running from defence but still needs work on his tackling and defensive aspects of his game.
    • Brown again utilised at both ends of the ground, started well but to be honest looked a little flustered in the last when the ball was flying into our defensive 50 repeatedly and made some poor decisions that cost us a few goals.
    • Richards had a purple patch against McKeever in the second quarter, comprehensively beat him in 3 contests in a short space of time.
    • Marsh had some time on Black as well in a run with role. Good hands, took a strong mark in the 2nd quarter as well as setting up Everitt for his aforementioned long goal.

Oh and our next game is on Sunday 9.30am against GWS ressies at Blacktown. Was planning to go to that game but just realised it's Mother's Day and there is no way I'll be able wriggle out of that commitment. (If you're reading this, love you Mum!)

I thought our tackling was pretty ordinary at crucial points in the game and too many tackles didn't stick in the main. Black started most of their centre square work in the last. They also put all their experienced campaigners in there at the same time and blitzed us. Our backline went to pieces when Xavier left the ground. He was sensational at FB until injured. I think he is going to be better than Ted by the way. He moves so well and he is fast. He also seems to have an inbuilt radar in the question of Mark or Punch.

I thought Biggs was very good. Dick showed a bit and not seeing a great deal of him yet I would still like to see more. I agree with Ugg, shifting Tommy Walsh stuffed up our backline. Bad coaching move Crouchy. In the last when Black was carving us up I also thought there was no move to contain him which would have been a good lesson for a potential tagger. Brandon Jack maybe or Towers.

Brandon Jack throws himself in with abandon just like his brother. Mitchell was very good, shows class and knows just where to be at the right time. Mitch is very unlucky as I think he would get a game in any AFL side at the moment.

Robbo is really interesting as is Lloydy, they both have heaps of talent, I would like them to sometimes lift the eyes a bit more as some of the delivery was a bit poor, directly to opposition players.

Ugg I got the feeling in the last Brown was getting frustrated because our mids were just letting the ball come out of the centre square too easily and the backs were under the pump. it didn't help that Brisvegas put all the talls in the forward line knowing Richards was off the ground.

Quote Originally Posted by ugg View Post
    Oh and our next game is on Sunday 9.30am against GWS ressies at Blacktown. Was planning to go to that game but just realised it's Mother's Day and there is no way I'll be able wriggle out of that commitment. (If you're reading this, love you Mum!)
    I've tweeted the Giants asking why this game is not being played as a curtain raiser to the Crows game. Strange decision given a handful of Swans fans may have taken the opportunity to attend for the ressies and stayed on for the main game.
    Driver of the Dan Hannebery bandwagon....all aboard. 4th April 09

Quote Originally Posted by Triple B View Post
    I've tweeted the Giants asking why this game is not being played as a curtain raiser to the Crows game. Strange decision given a handful of Swans fans may have taken the opportunity to attend for the ressies and stayed on for the main game.
    I didn't even realise the Giants seniors were playing on the same day. It is a really strange decision given they did play one Swans Reserves v Giants Reserves at Skoda last year, and I did indeed stay for the main game which turned out to be the win over Port (I like to think I played my part in it).

Looking at their reserves draw, only one game is scheduled for Skoda, when they take on the Suns Reserves. And guess who they are playing in the main game? That's right Port Adelaide again.

Yep, doesn't make a lot of sense.

I'm doing the trifecta on the weekend, Cats/Bombers Fri night, Swans/Hawks Sat night and flying home early for the Giants/Crows game on Sun afternoon. Taking in a 6am flight to get to Blacktown on Sun morning for the quaddie is just taking it a bit far.....
    Driver of the Dan Hannebery bandwagon....all aboard. 4th April 09

pr. dim-melb; m not f
    My thanks to all the usual suspects for the comments: ugg, Liz, Primmy, Wolftone and others. Appreciated.
    He reminds him of the guys, close-set, slow, and never rattled, who were play-makers on the team. (John Updike, seeing Josh Kennedy in a crystal ball)

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast