Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Why we must win the flag this year

On the Rookie List swans_premiers's Avatar

Why we must win the flag this year

In sports, you simply aren't considered a real champion until you have defended your title successfully. Winning it once can be a fluke; winning it twice proves you are the best.
    - Althea Gibson
    Adam Goodes: Rising Star 99, Brownlow 2003, 2006
    Swans Premiers 1909, 1918,1933,2005, 2012

Not putting them under any pressure though .....

Why we must win the flag this year

If it was that easy, it'd happen all the time. GF winners need measures of both talent and luck. Don't get me wrong, I'd love the boys to go back to back but it will be a massive task to do so and a major achievement if it happened

So Geelong aren't real champions? Gotcha.

I usually don't give a @@@@ what outsiders think of the Swans but try telling me our flag was a fluke and you'll see a grown man have a temper tantrum. Those that sit near me at the footy will tell you it ain't a pretty sight.

Senior Player
    Back-to-back is a big ask, but not as unusual as you might think. Here's a helpful table at Wikipedia.

Veteran Site Admin
    Quote Originally Posted by neilfws View Post
    Back-to-back is a big ask, but not as unusual as you might think. Here's a helpful table at Wikipedia.
    Pretty rare in the last 20 years or so. Obviously the Lions had their threepeat. Crows did it, but with a healthy does of luck given North should have had the 1998 Grand Final wrapped up at half time. Otherwise it has proved very tricky.

I can't see why we're not in with a shot this year, but there are half a dozen good sides all in with a shot and only one can win it. Injuries are going to play a big part in which team can best time their run to peak at the end of September.

pr. dim-melb; m not f
    If two players (I mention no names) had played their normal game, we would have gone back-to-back in 2006.
    Nevertheless, it is a very big ask. But I agree we are in with a chance, indeed a good chance, despite it's being Geelong's turn again.
    He reminds him of the guys, close-set, slow, and never rattled, who were play-makers on the team. (John Updike, seeing Josh Kennedy in a crystal ball)

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by dimelb View Post
    If two players (I mention no names) had played their normal game, we would have gone back-to-back in 2006.
    Nevertheless, it is a very big ask. But I agree we are in with a chance, indeed a good chance, despite it's being Geelong's turn again.
    Someone always has to ruin your start to the week!!

The good thing is that the other Contenders are all at the end of their premiership Window. Cats, pies, hawks all peaked a year or two ago.

Up and comes like freo , Richmond, etc arent their yet. Essendon will be rubbed out before the year is out.

We are a very good chance to go back to back

Yeah nah I wouldn't be ruling out Geelong, Hawthorn or Collingwood at this stage.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by barry View Post
    The good thing is that the other Contenders are all at the end of their premiership Window. Cats, pies, hawks all peaked a year or two ago.

Up and comes like freo , Richmond, etc arent their yet. Essendon will be rubbed out before the year is out.

We are a very good chance to go back to back
    I wouldn't write any of those 3 off just yet.
    Cats aren't as great as what they were but still have a lot of class, even from the young kids.
    Hawks are still a huge threat, and with Lake now slotted into the team, their defence will improve.
    And the Pies have a lot of injuries, and are still doing OK. Once they get some players back they will be a force to reckon with.

It is very unlikely that a team with little or no finals experience will win a GF. So whilst Essendon, are on top, can they last the season. Same for Port and Tigers, both who have been playing good footy.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast