Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Why we must win the flag this year

I'm not convinced Collingwood will challenge this year, but your absolutely silly to say that the Cats or Hawks peaked a couple of years ago. I don't think the Cats are as good as everyone makes out, and their new young brigade might not sustain their high levels of performance all season, but to say they can't win the flag is ridiculous. Likewise the Hawks. they are winning and winning well recently despite Buddy playing some of the worst footy of his career.

To be honest, on the form we've shown in the first 6 weeks, if you were a supporter of an opposing team, you'd feel that we have very little chance of going back to back. But the season is a marathon, and we have always been a club that has performed best when it matters at the business end of the season. I think our season will be set up in the next 5 weeks. Win less than 3 and we will struggle to make the 4. Win 3 of the 5 and its about par for the course. Win 4 or 5 and we will be sitting very nicely and well and truly in the hunt for top 2 and a real push for the flag, especially considering we will have a fit K Tippett to slot into the forward line.
    "You get the feeling that like Monty Python's Black Knight, the Swans would regard amputation as merely a flesh wound."

Good quote, but applies to tennis better than football.
    The eternal connundrum "what happens when an unstoppable force meets an immovable object" was finally solved when David Hasselhoff punched himself in the face.

Senior Player
    Geelong are often touted as the team of the decade, yet we were only one unfathomable first half stuff up away from equalling their recent record. And I don't concur that there were only two culprits.
    It's very hard to live in a studio apartment in San Jose with a man who's learning to play violin. That's what she told the police when she handed them the empty revolver.
    The Scarlatti Tilt - Richard Brautigan

I am really curious to see what Tippett does to our team. There are a lot of possibilities---doesn't gel, injured first week out, etc--- but I think we are all hoping he is fit, he is keen and he becomes a dominate full forward ASAP. I am thinking it could be a big factor in going back to back.

Hawks have peaked 2 years ago. Most of their midfield is the wrong side if 27. Adding lake doesnt help.

Cats peaked 3 years ago. Again, a lot over 27.

This does not mean they cant win it. They can, but they wont. We will

On the Rookie List swans_premiers's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by snajik View Post
    Geelong are often touted as the team of the decade, yet we were only one unfathomable first half stuff up away from equalling their recent record. And I don't concur that there were only two culprits.
    Exactly. A back to back premiership this year makes 4 grand finals, 3 premierships with a 1 point loss. the undisputed best team of the last decade.

I also think going by the age profile of our list we are at our peak right now. While we do have a lot of young players, we still have Shaw,O'keefe,Goodes,Bolton etc who will start to filter out over the next few years. the big question is can our youngsters such as Mitchell, Lamb etc step up and play the role that hanneberry and parker etc are playing now?
    Last edited by swans_premiers; 8th May 2013 at 12:41 AM.
    Adam Goodes: Rising Star 99, Brownlow 2003, 2006
    Swans Premiers 1909, 1918,1933,2005, 2012

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12