Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: My one big frustration with our game play

Just watched 'Kieran' Bird's shepherd and bump on Swans' TV. It certainly was a cracker. As was Jetta's run and perfect pass to Reid.

Regular in the Side crackedactor's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Swansongster View Post
    I wouldn't have thought that "shepherding" is a game plan/set role sort of science. It is an opportunistic "one-percenter" effort that arises within a passage of play. It is a skill that is executed well by players who combine experience and peripheral vision to create space for a team mate and hamper an opponent's access to player or ball. Often there is a thin line between a good shepherd and illegal deliberate interference.
    Very valid point, sometimes its a shepherd and other times its interference. We cop enough free kicks against already. In fact I laughed tonight when on the AFL 360, they complained about the North Melbourne v Port Adelaide free kick count which was 28 to 10. How come no mentioned the GF, when its was 26 to 10? Or even Sunday's game when Brisbane got an extra 10 free kicks. I guess some teams have to expect that every game the opposition will get at least 10 extra free kicks, regardless if they are there or not.

I though the same thing with the free kicks. Probably best not to increase that for the Swans

Bird's shepherd was what inspired this post, which I had nearly made many times before.
    When you see that, you realise that we can actually do it lol
    The difference between insanity and genius is measured only in success.

Quote Originally Posted by crackedactor View Post
    We cop enough free kicks against already. In fact I laughed tonight when on the AFL 360, they complained about the North Melbourne v Port Adelaide free kick count which was 28 to 10. How come no mentioned the GF, when its was 26 to 10?
    When you lay 100+ tackles, the free kicks will naturally go against you...High, low, in the back, holding to long , slinging, late....versus....holding the ball.

Extremely lopsided....Which is probably fair enough, given you don't have the ball.
    Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it's time to pause and reflect... MT

I'm going to assume that the club saw this thread, printed it off and handed it out to the players with a game plan to shepherd.

Last night's game certainly was a hell of a lot better in this area.
    Nice to see for a change
    The difference between insanity and genius is measured only in success.

Regular in the Side
    it's interference. it may have been in the game for decades but it's still interference. ban it, simplify the game and move on.
    then again, i think it would be worth trying 15-16 players on field so what would i know

i hated watching the way we were way behind in intensity and execution last night BUT

i do think we can grow from that game and come good still

Obviously the top 5 or so teams are only as good as having everyone on the pitch that are in your best 22 and that showed last night

Shaw, LRT and AJ would have made the entries from the Hawks look difficult rather then easy !
    "be tough, only when it gets tough"

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12