Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Changes for round 7 v hawks - grand final rematch!

Ego alta, ergo ictus Ruck'n'Roll's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by ShockOfHair View Post
    If Shaw isn't match fit he'd be a sensational sub.
    +2

Last year there was a discussion of our best structure,
    At the time I posited a 7/10/5 structure. In part as it seemed more meaningful to me than the traditional 6 rows of 3 and 4 reserves thing.

Anyway the Swans team that won last years flag had such a structure. I thought I'd look at last weeks team in the light of that structure.

2012 GF Team /Changes
    7 Defenders
    3 Offensive Backs: Mattner, Shaw/Armstrong, Mal.
    1 Defensive Back: Smith.
    3 tall backs: Ted, Grundy, AJ/Rampe.
    10 Mids
    5 Inside Mids: Bolton, O'Keefe, Kennedy, Parker, Hanners.
    4 Outside Mids: Goodes, Jetta, McVeigh, Jack.
    1 Tagger/Defensive Forward: Bird & Benny
    5 Forwards
    2 Ruckmen: Pike, Mummy.
    2 Tall Forwards: Reid, LRT Out.
    1 Offensive forward: Morton/Lamb

Last weeks team ad differed in structure as well as personnel.
    We played 7 defenders, and while Rampe is clearly improving, I think him closer in physique and style to Marty Mattner than AJ.
    So we are less able to compete in the air down back.
    We also played 11 Mids and only 4 forwards, so McGlynn has come in for LRT.
    Again we have lost some height in this swap, and given LRT's ability down back we could well be exposed by a tall forward line.

I wonder whether the Hawks will consider bring Bailey back in, in part to combat Pike/Mummy but also to confront our defence with Franklin, Roughhead, Gunstan and Hale?
    Loose translation from the Latin is - I am tall, so I hit out.

Quote Originally Posted by Ruck'n'Roll View Post
    +2

Last year there was a discussion of our best structure,
    At the time I posited a 7/10/5 structure. In part as it seemed more meaningful to me than the traditional 6 rows of 3 and 4 reserves thing.

Anyway the Swans team that won last years flag had such a structure. I thought I'd look at last weeks team in the light of that structure.

2012 GF Team /Changes
    7 Defenders
    3 Offensive Backs: Mattner, Shaw/Armstrong, Mal.
    1 Defensive Back: Smith.
    3 tall backs: Ted, Grundy, AJ/Rampe.
    10 Mids
    5 Inside Mids: Bolton, O'Keefe, Kennedy, Parker, Hanners.
    4 Outside Mids: Goodes, Jetta, McVeigh, Jack.
    1 Tagger/Defensive Forward: Bird & Benny
    5 Forwards
    2 Ruckmen: Pike, Mummy.
    2 Tall Forwards: Reid, LRT Out.
    1 Offensive forward: Morton/Lamb

Last weeks team ad differed in structure as well as personnel.
    We played 7 defenders, and while Rampe is clearly improving, I think him closer in physique and style to Marty Mattner than AJ.
    So we are less able to compete in the air down back.
    We also played 11 Mids and only 4 forwards, so McGlynn has come in for LRT.
    Again we have lost some height in this swap, and given LRT's ability down back we could well be exposed by a tall forward line.

I wonder whether the Hawks will consider bring Bailey back in, in part to combat Pike/Mummy but also to confront our defence with Franklin, Roughhead, Gunstan and Hale?
    This is a pretty good summary of our side.

However I think that the changes to the laws which have occurred in the off season mean that we are an outside midfielder down. I think this is particularly the case when you look at the names you have supplied. Goodes is no longer playing midfield and I think Jude is actually playing more or less permanently as a forward. The cats beat us with pace to the contest from a contest in the midfield/half forward to our half back - their runners - motlop, hunt, christensen were a bit too quick for us. we have a group of largely one paced high endurance players who go forwards and backwards well but arent great peed wise. The changes to the rules encouraging faster ball ups and boundary throws means that the ball when it clears, clears much more quickly and we could do with an extra runner. Trouble is I don't know where it comes from.

I think we just have to play morton. He is a goal kicker and we are a side which lacks them. Our forward line just looks a little light on for goal kickers.

I actually think marty and rampe will both do a reasonable job on a gunston but if the hawks did play hale, roughhead and buddy all forward we would be in trouble. Further if Lake actually regained his old form and went forward I can't see mummy or pyke beating him 1-1. I can't really see what else there is other than play a bit smaller and hope that the ball comes in in a way which encourages packs.

Roosy put it very well on the couch last night - if the ball is out in front of teddy and buddy, or over their heads (ala semi final 2012) buddy wins. but if it is a contest teddy does, and our half backs clear well.

In: Shaw, Morton
    Out: Armstrong, Lamb

I am pleased that we are getting a bit of depth. I think armstrong can play at this level. He is not as good as our first choice backs but can do a job. Lamb, I reckon could be a week or two away from being a player in our 22, but if he is to displace anyone its probably jude - an inside midfielder who can play hff. but jude is playing some very good footy at the moment so I'd be reluctant to change that at the moment. But he deserves another go if we need it.

I reckon we now have back up for tall forwards, rucks, small forwards, mids, and small defenders. Each player on the fringe of the first team could come in and the team and structures wouldn't be too far down as a result. Without LRT we are light on for tall defenders so hopefully ted and reg keep going well. both have been pretty good this year and played well together, particularly given the loss of aj who was critical as 3rd man up a lot last year.

Big game and it will be interesting to see how we are travelling against another side which is just "going" but has nonethless won 5 straight.

Opti-pessi-misti
    I watched the replay of Sunday, and after the Qu1 blitz, I was not really too impressed. The Lions dominated certain parts of the game and it was not an interesting brand of football to watch on a small screen. I was thinking if the Lions can dominate the centre clearances the way they did but were not skilled enough to capitalise, what are the Hawks etc going to do. It was good to see Reid and Jetta have some impact but there are a handful of players who are still not playing all that well. The load on our mids at the moment is even greater than in the past - up forward and down back. Against really good teams they are going to be stretched to the limit. Half the team is really going to need to step up another notch in the coming weeks.

I must have taken the grumpy pills before watching the game or was thinking that as they won by 60 points it was going to be a great game to watch and was disappointed! Might just have needed big screen vision!

Not good. Shaw out for at least another two games with "deep abdominal tear".

Swans' Shaw still struggling with 'unique injury' - AFL.com.au
    The man who laughs has not yet heard the terrible news

With Shaw out, most likely Armstrong will hold his place.......That's a big worry for me, in a physical pressure game.

On the bright side, this is his chance to show he's up to it in a high stakes game.

Can't see any changes from last week, unless there are injuries we don't know about.

Rampe has played with the same poise as AJ when he was the rookie..He certainly holds his spot.

Morton unlucky...but who's spot could he take?

From hearing Horse today, Lamb will almost certainly be sub again.

NO CHANGE
    Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it's time to pause and reflect... MT

Quote Originally Posted by Melbourne_Blood View Post
    Bradley Hill is a real danger man, Smith should get the job but he is lightning quick, reminds me of Jetta. No change for me unless Shaw is fit.
    Hill will most likely play on a wing. I would play Jetts on his wing. If he plays forward then maybe Smooch.

I was wondering how long it would take for the penny to drop that Rhyce was still injured and probably won't be back for another 2 weeks at least and in that case should have at least one game in the Twos.

Last weeks game was scrappy. In the first we were able to get the ball free and play the spread very well and open them up. From then on they kept the maul up and our in close delivery stunk. We put the ball to players feet far too often or put the ball back into the contest rather than getting it out. They were getting a lot of players around the ball and making it hard to get the pill out.

I thought Armstrong tackled very well on Sunday, they stuck. Lamb was reasonably impressive but needs to tidy up his thinking a bit. He just bombed the ball up on a couple of occasions, probably thinking he was under more pressure than he was. Not unusual for a first gamer.

Changes? I am not sure we need any but the panel will probably opt for experience over a young player so I think Mitch will get the nod this week. the out will probably be Lamb if anyone goes.

Things we need to fix this week: contesting against each other in the marking contest when our player is in the box seat and the opposition has no chance. Two of our players come over the top and spoil our own player. Bloody talk! Lions got 2.2 from this sort of idiocy. It also happens in the forward line doesn't it Goodsie.

Handballing at a players feet. The almost unforgivable sin as far as coaches are concerned is to not give your teammate a chance at the ball and this is just that scenario.

Ball watching; Hey Reg the ball has just gone past you LOL. I was shocked when he just strolled along and the ball ran past him and he didn't even know it was there and suddenly the penny dropped and he chased the lions player who picked it up. (I cringed).

Picking up opponents; the Lions were able to bring the ball out of our forward line far too easily. If it wasn't for their lousy disposal and decision making it could have been very costly.

Quote Originally Posted by rojo View Post
    I watched the replay of Sunday, and after the Qu1 blitz, I was not really too impressed. The Lions dominated certain parts of the game and it was not an interesting brand of football to watch on a small screen. I was thinking if the Lions can dominate the centre clearances the way they did but were not skilled enough to capitalise, what are the Hawks etc going to do.....
    I think it's hard to judge after quarter time. The game was well and truely won at quarter time and despite Horse's post match, the cue was in the rack.

Evidenced by how quickly McVeigh answered BBB's question regarding beers after the game - "We've got Hawthorn next week." I wouldn't be suprised if player's minds were there.

A 60 point win over the Lions is better than a 30 point win over GWS. Next week is the time to measure this team.
    The eternal connundrum "what happens when an unstoppable force meets an immovable object" was finally solved when David Hasselhoff punched himself in the face.

After dropping their home game against Geelong, I think the Swans will need to win one or more away of Hawks, Cats or Magpies in order to make the final top two. Lamb was good but Morton is better, knows the MCG like the back of his hand and with proven experience against Hawthorn. Exactly what's needed for this finals like game.

Lamb's chance will come again soon enough and it's comforting to know he is ready.

Senior Player
    No change. No surprise.

Quote Originally Posted by swansrob View Post
    No change. No surprise.
    Hawthorn v Sydney Swans
    Saturday May 11, 2013
    7.40pm EST
    MCG

B N.Malceski, H.Grundy, N.Smith
    HB M.Mattner, T.Richards, J.McVeigh
    C L.Jetta, R.O'Keefe, B.McGlynn
    HF D.Hannebery, S.Reid, K.Jack
    F A.Goodes, M.Pyke, L.Parker
    Foll S.Mumford, J.Kennedy, J.Bolton
    I/C T.Armstrong, C.Bird, J.Lamb, D.Rampe
    Emg M.Morton, T.Walsh, J.White

No Change.

Veterans List
    No change so Lamb is 99% likely to be sub again then if no injuries to a similar player will be dropped next week to get a full game in the ressies :-(

This is the classic 8 point game and after failing our only test so far this year, we really must win his one.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast