Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Roos coaching the Dees

I don't think so as he has been critical of Melbourne discarding senior players in recent years e.g. Maloney, Martin, James McDonald, Rivers etc,etc.

Fledgling club? This story sounds bogus.

So after "not tanking" for draft picks, Melbourne players now have unofficial AFL approval to tank for a new coach.
    Kewl! The Swans will play for percentage in round 15, thereafter Roos can swoop in as Demon's caretaker coach for the rest of the year. Though he better not raid our staff or Horse will get mighty cross.

On the Rookie List

Roos coaching the Dees

Quote Originally Posted by ShockOfHair View Post
    If only. He gets more cringeworthy by the week.
    Love him. Forever grateful. Legend. But quite quickly becoming the worst TV pundit by a mile-practically unwatchable.
    Regards,

Boro Boy

Goes up to 11
    Roosy would be great for the Dees. I can't think of many other potential coaches that could sort them out like Roosy (probably) could.

I think there is plenty of goodwill out there hoping the Dees can get it together at some stage, and no doubt the AFL don't want to see them being a basket case for too much longer. If he wants to, Roosy could do it.....

Well if Ronald Dale Barassi rang him up and asked him.

He would be very hard to turn down!

Hypothetically...

Guess on my part!

Rod_

Commentary Team Captain BeeEmmAre's Avatar
    Robbo said on AFL360 that Roosy has denied this rumour, and like Robbo, I take him at that word.

I would think if he was to coach again, and I would prefer he didn't, the fairytale story would be a return to his old club the Lions.
    "It's up to the rest of the players in the room to make a new batch of premiership players next year," Adam Goodes, triple Bob Skilton Medallist, October 7, 2011.

YOU BETCHA!!!!!!

On the Rookie List

Roos coaching the Dees

Don't get this thing about him being a bad commentator. Always insightful and interesting as all premiership coaches are. Matthews etc.

I feel sorry for Mark Neeld as I believe the problems are in the staffing at Melbourne. He has basically come into a club with a dreadful record of drafting and player retention. He has had to clean some of the players out as they were too old or so not good enough for AFL footy that they were an embarrassment. He was left with a group of senior players that were only just good enough to play AFL footy and a lot of young blokes who were not mentored.

The football dept at Melbourne has been a joke and he is trying his hardest to rebuild. There seems to me to be a culture of players not liking what the coach is telling them. Maybe those players need to pull their heads in. I think Roosy would be foolish to take over as Senior Coach of a club that is in so much of a shambles.

I have no sympathy at all for Melbourne. They are one of the established clubs, they have members who could make them one of the wealthiest clubs, they have had multiple chances to get their @@@@ together and didn't. Cameron Schwab was seen as a good CEO so I don't know what went wrong. They also traditionally have the backing of the MCC and its membership which includes some of Australia's wealthiest people. Unlike the Swans who were forced to move, had no money, were sent broke by a financial fool, rose from the ashes to be a force in AFL footy after Collis and Barrassi took over.

The player attitude problem is the big one for me. I don't know how you fix that in a club that is also a management nightmare. Mark Neeld is highly respected among his peers, he was assistant to Malthouse at Collingwood and before that had a few premierships with local clubs. Certainly Roos is in a far different bracket seen as a legend of the game but if there are attitude problems if he took over he would have to nip them in the bud and maybe even delist the problem players. That would set Melbourne back even further anyway. I think Neeld is working to try and rid himself of the attitude of some players but is finding difficulty as they have been treated with kid gloves for so long.

Outer wing, Lake Oval Sandridge's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by wolftone57 View Post

I have no sympathy at all for Melbourne. They are one of the established clubs, they have members who could make them one of the wealthiest clubs, they have had multiple chances to get their @@@@ together and didn't. Cameron Schwab was seen as a good CEO so I don't know what went wrong. They also traditionally have the backing of the MCC and its membership which includes some of Australia's wealthiest people. Unlike the Swans who were forced to move, had no money, were sent broke by a financial fool, rose from the ashes to be a force in AFL footy after Collis and Barrassi took over.

I feel the same. I used to have a lot of time for Melbourne as I have a lot of friends who follow them but I now believe that Melbourne only has itself to blame for its predicament. Melbourne had an attitude of accepting mediocrity way before they began tanking. And how are players supposed to feel when they know their mentors deliberately pursued losing games? And every club has its fair weather supporters but Melbourne has way more than anyone else. If there's a club that is the complete opposite of the Bloods culture, it's Melbourne and Roosy would have his work cut out if he took on the job.

Just wild about Harry
    Quote Originally Posted by boroboy View Post
    Love him. Forever grateful. Legend. But quite quickly becoming the worst TV pundit by a mile-practically unwatchable.
    This. I watched the Swans/Bris game on the weekend and found Roos to be so negative about everything. Very difficult to watch.

AFL House's Dream Team for a complete cultural transformation at the Dees could be lining up. Colless and Roos.

McVeigh for Brownlow Site Admin RogueSwan's Avatar
    Coffs Harbour - home of Swans summer camp

Roos coaching the Dees

Melbourne, IMO just need to have a little patience.
    Paraphrasing Lennon all I am saying is give Neeld a chance.

I wouldn't mind Roos coaching the Dees, but as others have mentioned, as long as he doesn't take our staff.
    "Fortunately, this is the internet, so knowing nothing is no obstacle to having an opinion!." Beerman 18-07-2017

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast