Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Round 8: UWS Giants v Sydney Swans Reserves

Re: Round 8: UWS Giants v Sydney Swans Reserves

Will be providing updates at twitter big_al_swans.

Disclaimer: Updates will neither be as accurate or as informative as Uggs so apologies in advance.
    ..And the Swans are the Premiers...The Ultimate Team...The Ultimate Warriors. They have overcome the highly fancied Hawks in brilliant style. Sydney the 2012 Premiers - Gerard Whately ABC

Here it is Again! - Huddo SEN

Can you feel it? Site Admin ugg's Avatar
    Good chance to sneak onto the ground Al and no one would notice for a good 15 minutes

Just wild about Harry
    Quote Originally Posted by ugg View Post
    Good chance to sneak onto the ground Al and no one would notice for a good 15 minutes
    That's what Jesse White does (sorry, couldnt resist)

Veterans List
    This isn't official until confirmed by Big Al so just FYI at this stage

Swans 19.13 127
    Giants 11.12 78

Goals: Membrey 5, Morton 3, Everitt 3, Walsh 2, Mitchell, Robinson, Brown, Lloyd, Wray, Kilpatrick

Can you feel it? Site Admin ugg's Avatar
    UWS Giants 2 1 13 5 5 35 10 8 68 11 12 78
    Sydney Swans 5 3 33 9 7 61 15 12 102 19 13 127
    UWS GIANTS
    Goal Kickers: G. Ugle 3, S. Frost 2, C. Hampton 2, T. Downie 2, B. Thornton , N. Wilson
    Best Players: M. Whiley, A. Miles, S. Schulz, T. Downie, G. Ugle, T. Golds
    SYDNEY SWANS
    Goal Kickers: T. Membrey 5, M. Morton 3, A. Everitt 3, T. Walsh 2, J. Lloyd , D. Robinson , T. Mitchell , S. Wray , L. Kilpatrick , A. Brown
    Best Players: T. Walsh, A. Everitt, S. Biggs, T. Membrey, J. Lloyd, T. Mitchell

Regular in the Side
    Who was our ruckman?

Round 8: UWS Giants v Sydney Swans Reserves

Nice to see Membrey and Mitchell among the best

Round 8: UWS Giants v Sydney Swans Reserves

Just some rambling thoughts on what I saw yesterday.

Entertaining game with plenty of good ball movement and some tough clashes in tight. It was the polish up forward that proved the difference in the end and also the ability to manufacture a goal when the Giants made a run was telling.

Tom Mitchell - A class act in the 1st term. Laid a tonne of tackles and won the ball in tight and fed it out brilliantly to support. Was tagged in the 2nd qtr but he still managed work hard and contribute. Whether he's ready for a senior call up will rely more his conditioning than his ability.

Xavier Richards - Can clunk a mark this kid. On a few occasions he took clean contested marks which suggested to me he has a future.

Jake Lloyd - Terrific game played mainly as a running halfback. Got the slingshot going on a few occasions and rarely made any errors. Certainly the best game I've seen him play this year.

Tommy Walsh - I can see the light at the end of the tunnel for Tommy. He looked every bit an accomplished footballer yesterday. Took some telling marks in the last line of defence and when he drifted forward he provided a decent target. His disposal efficiency would have been pretty high as I couldn't recall an errant kick all game.

Tim Membrey - Size, speed, great kick and tattoos. Sounds like a KP forward to me. Was dangerous everytime he went near the ball and his 5 goals were just reward for effort.

Mitch Morton - Played a midfield pushing forward type role. Won a bit of the ball in tight as well so he's certainly letting the coaches know his work rate is still up there. Not as dominant as I've seen him when he did go forward but still dangerous and it didn't surprise when he was named one of the best.

Brandon Jack - Seems quicker than his brother. Set up 2 goals by taking them on with his pace. He also used his pace to effect a couple of telling tackles in dangerous situations. One to watch.

Andrej Everitt - Typical game from Dre at this level. Got a lot of the ball and used it pretty well. Only issue with Dre is when he makes a clanger it's usually a beauty but like every week he works hard and was definitely one of the best.

Dean Towers - From my perspective he didn't get it a lot but when he did he seemed composed.

Alex Brown - Worked well with the back 6 and seems to be the general back there. Rarely beaten in the air or on the ground.

Matthew Dick - Played off halfback and was pretty impressed with his endeavor. Certainly not afraid to take the game on with his pace.

Honourable mention to the top up Brassil who effectively rucked the whole match. He would have slept well last night I would have thought.

Anyway,that's all I can remember at this stage.
    ..And the Swans are the Premiers...The Ultimate Team...The Ultimate Warriors. They have overcome the highly fancied Hawks in brilliant style. Sydney the 2012 Premiers - Gerard Whately ABC

pr. dim-melb; m not f
    Thanks Al, much appreciated.
    It sounds as if Tom Mitchell ought to play with the big boys sooner rather than later. I don't expect him to make an immediate splash but he needs the best opposition for the team's sake.
    I wouldn't be surprised to see Walsh take Jesse's place, but the club might leave him (Jesse) where he is a little longer.
    And the sooner we can get Mitch back in the firsts the better. He has all the urgency that was lacking on Saturday night.
    I can't help thinking about the way Hawthorn were forced, by a raft of injuries a couple of seasons back, to play youngsters who would otherwise have racked up time in the seconds. That seemed to work out OK.
    He reminds him of the guys, close-set, slow, and never rattled, who were play-makers on the team. (John Updike, seeing Josh Kennedy in a crystal ball)

Senior Player
    Quote Originally Posted by Big Al View Post
    Just some rambling thoughts on what I saw yesterday.

Entertaining game with plenty of good ball movement and some tough clashes in tight. It was the polish up forward that proved the difference in the end and also the ability to manufacture a goal when the Giants made a run was telling.

Tom Mitchell - A class act in the 1st term. Laid a tonne of tackles and won the ball in tight and fed it out brilliantly to support. Was tagged in the 2nd qtr but he still managed work hard and contribute. Whether he's ready for a senior call up will rely more his conditioning than his ability.

Xavier Richards - Can clunk a mark this kid. On a few occasions he took clean contested marks which suggested to me he has a future.

Jake Lloyd - Terrific game played mainly as a running halfback. Got the slingshot going on a few occasions and rarely made any errors. Certainly the best game I've seen him play this year.

Tommy Walsh - I can see the light at the end of the tunnel for Tommy. He looked every bit an accomplished footballer yesterday. Took some telling marks in the last line of defence and when he drifted forward he provided a decent target. His disposal efficiency would have been pretty high as I couldn't recall an errant kick all game.

Tim Membrey - Size, speed, great kick and tattoos. Sounds like a KP forward to me. Was dangerous everytime he went near the ball and his 5 goals were just reward for effort.

Mitch Morton - Played a midfield pushing forward type role. Won a bit of the ball in tight as well so he's certainly letting the coaches know his work rate is still up there. Not as dominant as I've seen him when he did go forward but still dangerous and it didn't surprise when he was named one of the best.

Brandon Jack - Seems quicker than his brother. Set up 2 goals by taking them on with his pace. He also used his pace to effect a couple of telling tackles in dangerous situations. One to watch.

Andrej Everitt - Typical game from Dre at this level. Got a lot of the ball and used it pretty well. Only issue with Dre is when he makes a clanger it's usually a beauty but like every week he works hard and was definitely one of the best.

Dean Towers - From my perspective he didn't get it a lot but when he did he seemed composed.

Alex Brown - Worked well with the back 6 and seems to be the general back there. Rarely beaten in the air or on the ground.

Matthew Dick - Played off halfback and was pretty impressed with his endeavor. Certainly not afraid to take the game on with his pace.

Honourable mention to the top up Brassil who effectively rucked the whole match. He would have slept well last night I would have thought.

Anyway,that's all I can remember at this stage.
    Pretty tough to asses Al,but how did T Mitchell run out the game. He had an interrupted pre season.
    It seems from his play that his game is in order and his conditioning is what's holding him back.
    Do U see that as an accurate assessment? Is his game ready for seniors?

Quote Originally Posted by royboy42 View Post
    Pretty tough to asses Al,but how did T Mitchell run out the game. He had an interrupted pre season.
    It seems from his play that his game is in order and his conditioning is what's holding him back.
    Do U see that as an accurate assessment? Is his game ready for seniors?
    I've gotta say on 2 occasions in the last qtr he was praised from the bench for a couple of good pressure acts which suggests he's running out games better than he has been.

He most definitely has the smarts and skill level required to play senior footy right now but only the coaches can assess whether his fitness base is good enough for the rigours of AFL footy.

Thanks once again Al. It seems young Biggs also played well again. He is becoming quite a link man down there in defense. Lloydy is a good kid and I agree with you about X, he is a wonderful mark, so strong, great judgement. I don't think it will be long until we see him in senior ranks. Maybe the end of the year for a sniff if there is an injury and they elevate him.

Yes BJ is faster than his brother. TM seems to be just a few weeks away from optimum match fitness and being on the elevation list. I am glad Tommy is playing well I liked him in defense the first time they tried him there, watch out Reg.

Thank you once again for braving the London like weather (fog) and getting out of bed at sparrows fart to bring us the match via twitter and then this report.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12