Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Is this man the most important player on our list?

Regular in the Side Velour&Ruffles's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by barry View Post
    I bet a few games into LRTs comeback, you lot will be calling for his head..

there are few of us who can say we've stuck with LRT through his career, but I am one.
    He ain't no superstar, but he's very very handy
    And I am another. In a game of inches and small things making a big difference, we are missing him horribly at the moment. I think the problem has been exacerbated by the fact that AJ is out at the same time. They are both Swiss Army Knives and we are now learning the real value of the adaptability and options they both give.
    My opinion is objective truth in its purest form

Not in my opinion. He's a loss but a fair way off our most important.
    Bloods

"Lockett is the best of all time" - Robert Harvey, Darrel Baldock, Nathan Burke, Kevin Bartlett, Bob Skilton

Yes, I think it is getting more obvious by the week just how much we rely on LRT.

I love LRT, he adds so much to the team without getting big numbers of stats. Him missing in combination with the others in the backline, has caused an unsettling of the back six, obviously. On his own he can probably be covered, but with others out his loss is remendous
    You can't argue with a sick mind - Joe Walsh

LRT must be pushing 30. His return is not going to suddenly propel us to unbeatable.

Our start this year has shown me a number of things
    1) We really miss Shaw and AJ. Shaw mostly.
    2) Goodes is now past his best and cant be relied upon to tear a game open. He plays cameos now.
    3) Due to missing players, we havent gelled as a team yet. More disruptions when Tippet, LRT, Shaw come back. May be a while before we hit our stride... perhaps not until round 16 or so.
    4) We traded away depth. TDL and Spranger are getting games at other clubs. After Everitt, White and Walsh, there are only untried kids.

Quote Originally Posted by barry View Post
    LRT must be pushing 30. His return is not going to suddenly propel us to unbeatable.

Our start this year has shown me a number of things
    1) We really miss Shaw and AJ. Shaw mostly.
    2) Goodes is now past his best and cant be relied upon to tear a game open. He plays cameos now.
    3) Due to missing players, we havent gelled as a team yet. More disruptions when Tippet, LRT, Shaw come back. May be a while before we hit our stride... perhaps not until round 16 or so.
    4) We traded away depth. TDL and Spranger are getting games at other clubs. After Everitt, White and Walsh, there are only untried kids.
    (4) particularly, not just TDL and the strut, also Campbell Heath, who would have been pretty useful in our back line, although I guess he wanted to go.
    Before you criticize a man, walk a mile in his shoes. That way you'll be a mile away and he'll be shoeless.

pr. dim-melb; m not f
    LRT's absence is one of the main reasons life is so hard for Sam Reid right now. Not to mention Ted and Reg.
    Last edited by dimelb; 21st May 2013 at 11:32 AM.
    He reminds him of the guys, close-set, slow, and never rattled, who were play-makers on the team. (John Updike, seeing Josh Kennedy in a crystal ball)

On the Rookie List
    Agree 100%.

Quote Originally Posted by dimelb View Post
    LRT's absence is one of the main reasons life is so hard for Sam Reid right now. Not to mention Ted and Reg.
    Agree with this. Tough it's not just his versatility....

It's his fierceness around the contest that I think we miss the most.
    Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it's time to pause and reflect... MT

Veterans List
    No one is indispensable but we'd be a different team without Jack, Kennedy, McVeigh too - and I'd put LRT in that category. In a close competition his absence has probably swung the balance to at least this past drawn game. Add the loss of AJ and Shaw and we are undermanned.

But it's a huge step to say that if we'd kept Spang and TDL we'd be better off than we are now. I think Rampe has done well in a vital role. Lamb showed a fair bit, too. I'm not sure why Morton hasn't - surely he hash't fallen back into bad habits now he has Premiership medallion? But you can't argue "play the kids" then when the kids get a game say "we should have kept the experience". Likewise, I don't think either the forward or backlines will have to adapt much when LRT comes back - he is our ultimate adaptable player.

I spoke to LRT on Saturday night and asked when he's be back he replied "four weeks" then added "if it was a Grand Final next week I'd probably be up for it but now - four weeks."

We will be a different team after the break - we just have to have enough wins t be in the hunt during the back end of the season. A win against the Pies would be a big step towards that . . .

McVeigh for Brownlow Site Admin RogueSwan's Avatar
    Coffs Harbour - home of Swans summer camp
    I don't believe he is the most important but the hardest to replace/cover.
    "Fortunately, this is the internet, so knowing nothing is no obstacle to having an opinion!." Beerman 18-07-2017

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12