Page 4 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast

Thread: Changes for Round 9 vs. Collingwood

On the Rookie List
    Yeah it's crunch time for Mummy.

I gotta point this article out from the AFL website:

Injuries take heavy toll on struggling clubs - AFL.com.au

Extremely flawed analysis and stupid conclusions re injuries. They say that the Swans have had a 'dream run' with injuries, based entirely on the fact that our top 10 2012 B&F have been relatively unscathed. Obviously they don't understand the concept of a even team. I had to share that, cos I just laughed out loud when I read that. Premiership backline decimated - but, yeah, dream run!

Why do I have a constant feeling of dread, despite us being the reigning premiers? I know things change quickly, but this is ridiculous.

McVeigh for Brownlow Site Admin RogueSwan's Avatar
    Coffs Harbour - home of Swans summer camp
    Quote Originally Posted by ernie koala View Post
    ...BTW, doubt Bird will be dropped...with out Shaw he's one of our best taggers...I reckon he'll get a full game, and should.
    (C)Hear, (c)hear! Not enough Bird love on this site.
    But it does seem that Jude has taken over his role this year, defensive forward who can kick a few goals.
    "Fortunately, this is the internet, so knowing nothing is no obstacle to having an opinion!." Beerman 18-07-2017

Opti-pessi-misti
    BT probably because for the finals last year we had a settled backline playing very good footy, Goodes, ROK, Bolton, and LRT were playing very good footy, Kennedy, Jets, AJ and Hanners were sparking and McViegh, Jack and Pyke were pretty much on song too. That leaves Reid, Morto, Bird, Parks and Mummy. Just at this point in time there is justification for feeling a little bit nervous!!

Quote Originally Posted by RogueSwan View Post
    (C)Hear, (c)hear! Not enough Bird love on this site....
    Absolutely. A top 10 B&F finish in a premiership year suggests the match committee agree as well.

As a non-flashy, get the job done type of player I understand why opposition fans and media don't pay him his dues, but I sometimes wonder about Sydney fans who don't appreciate what he brings to the table...
    Driver of the Dan Hannebery bandwagon....all aboard. 4th April 09

Quote Originally Posted by dimelb View Post
    He seems to me to have the right attitude. More than I could say for John Stevens.
    I disagree - I reckon Stevens had the right attitude, he just had the ability to pull a colossal clanger out of thin air.
    Before you criticize a man, walk a mile in his shoes. That way you'll be a mile away and he'll be shoeless.

Veteran Site Admin
    Quote Originally Posted by Triple B View Post
    Absolutely. A top 10 B&F finish in a premiership year suggests the match committee agree as well.

As a non-flashy, get the job done type of player I understand why opposition fans and media don't pay him his dues, but I sometimes wonder about Sydney fans who don't appreciate what he brings to the table...
    Bird's fitness looks a bit down this year compared to last. And when you're a small to medium sized midfielder without great pace, a drop off in endurance is quite significant in affecting how well you contribute.

pr. dim-melb; m not f
    Quote Originally Posted by undy View Post
    I disagree - I reckon Stevens had the right attitude, he just had the ability to pull a colossal clanger out of thin air.
    Oi! I didn't mention John Stevens!
    He reminds him of the guys, close-set, slow, and never rattled, who were play-makers on the team. (John Updike, seeing Josh Kennedy in a crystal ball)

Hey boys, get it right......JON Stevens

BTW...No one (other than Cuz) arched the back quite like Stevo.
    Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it's time to pause and reflect... MT

On the Rookie List
    Mattner a chance to play this week, and Shaw is running and returning to full training next week. Good news. If we could get over the line in 1 or 2 of the next 3 matches, we're looking much better after the bye with LRT and Tippett. Morton's forward pressure is great these days, so I think he will be an important player as well. If Mattner can pull up well on Friday then I won't feel as though the gaping hole in our backline is so bad. Just gotta dig deep to pull out a couple of wins as underdogs, classic Swans-style. I think with a couple of personnel issues addressed, it's more about maintaining concentration than anything else.

In-Mitchell [to be sub],Mattner,White [Armstrong must also be a chance given pies small forward line so knowing we are hesitant to play Mitchell id say armstrong instead of him but i hope not.]

Out-Mummy,Walsh,Mcglynn

Can see us getting a mauling this friday night,i know Reid is a forward but id like to see him start down back for a short period and if not Reid then Goodes who played some of his best footy imo at CHB.Is it just me or does Macca only seem to really shine against the lower teams? I hope he can continue some of that early form as he really set the standard for us.Would love to see Rampe get a gig further up field,for such an inexperienced guy he has been superb and would like to see him free'd up a bit when possible,maybe when Rhyce gets back.

Just getting back too Goodes i know he helps our structure but he really isnt having much impact on games,he has improved but im wondering whether its time for Adam too bite the bullet and put his hand up to play that relief ruck role again.I know the reasoning before was he was too important to miss games from knee injuries sustained in the ruck but these days his importance is nowhere near as much and if we were too lose him it would make less impact than if we were to lose Pyke.Just thinking outside the box but Goodes as relief ruck and basically an extra onballer in the next 4-5 weeks while we wait for Tippett and get Mummy right could be the difference between making top 4 or not.

Goodes is a champion and i love him no matter what he does but given Jessie's poor ruck work and Mummys weird form reversal could a 4 week stint as backup ruckmen for Goodes be the only viable option to get 8 points out of our next 3 games.
    Last edited by On-Baller; 22nd May 2013 at 07:12 PM.

IMHO The issue is no Tippett once Tip comes in Reid will find a lot more freedom in the FWD 50. I would like to see Pyke play more at FF I think we are 1 tall short either Tommy or Jesse comes in to rotate with Pyke / Mummy ruck FF, one of them needs to be at FF. The problem with Morton at FF he doesn't take a key defender, he gets the guy who can play small /tall so Reid ends up with all the defensive attention. I think throwing in Jetta as a small fwd as others mentioned would work well with a taller setup i.e. Reid + Ruck.

Coaches are reluctant to change a winning team but what if it's a draw? Roll up, roll up, try your boot in Sydney's forward line! Longmire is rummaging through forwards like a drawer of old batteries until he finds one that works. Out: Playfair In: O'Loughlin

This week, the role of Tippett will be played by... Jesse White - in for Walsh. White only gets a gig now as a ruck replacement but his experience should make for a more effective decoy forward than Walsh. Brave heart, Tommy.

Everitt, solid in defence, stays in and Mattner's gyppy hip bumps out Rampe to the reserves because Collingwon't would maul Mufasa much like the Hawks did. Bird remains sub as he gets tired easily of late.

Page 4 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast