Thread: Life Membership for Horse

Blog Entries

Life Membership for Horse

Sydney Swans coach John Longmire will join the AFL?s ?300-Club? this week, when he coaches his side against Collingwood at the MCG on Friday night.

The 300-game milestone, which will see Longmire qualify for AFL life membership, has been achieved over a career spanning more than two decades.

Longmire made his playing debut for North Melbourne in 1988 and played 200 premiership matches (including finals) and 25 pre-season matches with the Kangaroos and five state matches for New South Wales and Victoria. He has since coached the Swans in 57 matches and 12 pre-season matches.

A long-time friend of Longmire, Swans assistant coach John Blakey - who played 359 games in his own AFL playing career for North Melbourne and Fitzroy - said it is a terrific achievement for his former Kangaroos team mate to reach AFL life membership.
    Longmire?s life membership - SYDNEYSWANS.com.au

didn't realise they counted pre-season trial games etc.. but well done Horse, he's done it all, as a player and a coach

Quote Originally Posted by nicko18 View Post
    didn't realise they counted pre-season trial games etc.. but well done Horse, he's done it all, as a player and a coach
    For life membership qualification they do, but in the official games played total they don't.

Longmire was one of those players I always wanted to see in the Red and White but I didn't think it would be as a coach back then! Congratulations John, deep down I trust your decisions even when I'm bagging them. I hope you're a one team coach for life as well.

Quote Originally Posted by nicko18 View Post
    didn't realise they counted pre-season trial games etc.. ..
    The Swans certainly don't!
    The man who laughs has not yet heard the terrible news

Quote Originally Posted by ShockOfHair View Post
    The Swans certainly don't!
    it seems like we've won more premierships in the last 8 years than pre-season games

Quote Originally Posted by Doctor J. View Post
    For life membership qualification they do, but in the official games played total they don't.
    No disrespect intended but some of the pre-season games are a bit of a farce. In round one each year they essentially get two games for the price of one (ie 2 short round robin games)
    & teams aren't eliminated with their first loss anymore. Games can be racked up a little more easily, and the seasons longer now (pity the poor guys pre- the mid 80s when it used to be a 22 game season with just 2 interchange players & the Swans rarely playing finals. Life membership was really earned in those days