Page 5 of 11 FirstFirst 123456789 ... LastLast

Thread: Changes round 10 v Bombers

Nonsense. He'll come straight back in.

Quote Originally Posted by iigrover View Post
    That's exactly when Kurt Tippet plays his first game. So Reid may have a bit of trouble forcing his way back into the side.
    There is now way Reid won't come straight back in. Just watch him go when he gets to take the 2nd best (or even 3rd best possibly) defender on the opposition team. He and Tippett have the potential to be a very damaging duo for us, and a nightmare for opposition defences. And that's without even thinking of our other tall targets.
    "You get the feeling that like Monty Python's Black Knight, the Swans would regard amputation as merely a flesh wound."

pr. dim-melb; m not f
    Quote Originally Posted by mcs View Post
    There is now way Reid won't come straight back in. Just watch him go when he gets to take the 2nd best (or even 3rd best possibly) defender on the opposition team. He and Tippett have the potential to be a very damaging duo for us, and a nightmare for opposition defences. And that's without even thinking of our other tall targets.
    Quite so. Imagine the thoughts of the third defender who has to line up on Reid or LRT.
    He reminds him of the guys, close-set, slow, and never rattled, who were play-makers on the team. (John Updike, seeing Josh Kennedy in a crystal ball)

IN: Walsh, Mattner
    OUT: Reid, Everitt
    Walsh has got to get a few games or he'll most certainly be traded at the end of the year (white is already a goner so there's no point in playing him if walsh is available). Mattner comes back from injury. Reid goes out with injury. Everitt becomes the unlucky one to be replaced by Mattner. I'd like to see Lamb get a full game, but its hard to predict who will take the sub vest if that happens

In Mattner
    out Reid
    Leave Benny and Mitch up forward, rotate Goodes, Pyke and Mumford thru FF with resting mids, maybe Everitt as well if we get Marty back
    You can't argue with a sick mind - Joe Walsh

Veterans List
    Quote Originally Posted by mcs View Post
    I don't agree in terms of Mitchell. We all know that had he hit the club fit and firing last year, he would of played a handful of ressies games and been straight into the top team, that is how high the club rates him. The coaches obviously must think he is close to being ready - and when you look at our midfield stocks, he is the obvious next name in line, and hence was emergency on the weekend.

He got through another full game for the ressies, so looks like his body is holding up well at the moment. I'd not be suprised at all if we see him debut (assuming no injuries to him or our current first choice midfield) in either Rd 15 or Rd 16 vs Melbourne or GWS. For you can't quite see how he will push his way into the midfield group at this stage, and we have some pretty important games coming up where picking our best 22 available is the prerogative. But by that stage, the club might see merit in giving him a couple of games in matches where we can afford to rest midfielders.

But I have little doubt that if he stays fit they will want to get him a bit of experience, in case someone (fingers crossed it doesn't happen) goes down somewhere along the line and we need him later in the year. I fancy though, once he gets in, he won't anytime soon be dropping out of the top team, as he simply oozes class.
    Then again one of the lesser midfielders such as Parker probably wouldn't want to put in a couple of shockers.If Mitchell is as good as we think some one eventually has to give way. Nice position to be in. With my hobby horse being our poor centre clearance work , I for one can't wait to see how he goes in this area of his game.

Reid played well on Friday before getting injured. Hit run down the Wing was a highlight for me, very fast for his size.

Senior Player
    In: Mattner
    Out: Reid
    Everitt goes forward to fill the hole left by Reid. Maybe bring in Mitchell as sub and let Jed have a full run in the Ressies.

If Mattner comes in for Reid, nothing in our structure really changes. Reid was really playing on the wing last week so Mattner could do that. Or Mattner goes in the backline and McVeigh goes on the wing. As far as I am concerned the forward line which worked a treat last week was Morton, McGlynn, Resting ruckman, and mids coming forward. All that is still in place for this week.

how good was Reidy

he is a champ in his positioning on fri night

Wingman

That run was awesome down the right
    "be tough, only when it gets tough"

Quote Originally Posted by swansrob View Post
    In: Mattner
    Out: Reid
    Everitt goes forward to fill the hole left by Reid. Maybe bring in Mitchell as sub and let Jed have a full run in the Ressies.
    I think if Mattner comes in it will allow McVeigh to return to the midfield. He's a pretty valuable playmaker and goalkicker. Essendon have a lot of tall players and we will probably need Everitt to help out in defence. Also Watson has been very dangerous going forward and is a KPP size. It is more probable that Walsh will get another go, although the Essendon tall backline is difficult for tall forwards to crack. We might do just as well playing Morton at CHF and rotating midfielders forward.

I hope it's Mitchell time. I don't know if Lamb has the tank to do a whole game in the AFL, but Mitchell is supposed to be a good endurance runner and could conceivably start the game. I wouldn't mind seeing Jude start in the green vest. He can make an impact coming into the game when everyone else is tired. He's got the endurance to go hard a whole quarter or half and he knows what he has to do to get into the game immediately. I noticed that a few teams have used veteran players in the vest that have made big impacts when they came in. Mathew Stokes was best on ground earlier in the year and got something like 25 possession in less than a half of footy. Also StK used Montagna as a sub and the Bulldogs used Gianseracusa, both to great effect.

Sir Ashmole Gruntbucket hot potato's Avatar
    On paper, this appears the match of the round , with another big TV audience, both teams in form.
    Swans may have improved enough , albeit Goodes could be emionally exhausted, to win by a whisker . Sorry off topic, Reid out, is Shaw Ok to go?
    HP

Page 5 of 11 FirstFirst 123456789 ... LastLast