Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Sling shot footy !!

Veteran Site Admin
    Quote Originally Posted by nicko18 View Post
    I think you may have missed the fox footy's pre-game analysis of supercoach scores where 4 random pies players had +53 points on 4 of our random players, otherwise you wouldn't be so sceptical of these "key indicators"
    I watched it. It was quite bizarre. It's just another illustration of how much over-analysis there is of the sport, particularly of possession statistics. I realise they try to factor "effectiveness" into some of these quantitive measures but most of it is just meaningless.

Sling shot footy is becoming the new age modern gameplan being executed by the top clubs, ala Fremantle, Hawthorn, Geelong.

Get numbers back to help the defence, hunt and contest the footy and spread in numbers on the rebound. Such a simple gameplan but if executed with skilful footballers can and has proven to be the best ala our GF win last year.

In Jimmy's opinion, every club should take note of how we play and the type of football we execute.

To be honest I am extremely worried if Jetta leaves. He is the icing on the sling shot footy cake and if he's down on input we lack that run from the back half to the forward line.

Must, must, sign him up.

Teams that rely on the "forward press", like Collingwood, are really sucked in by the style of footy the Swans play. I would think it's pretty obvious and another reason why Buckley is a @@@@ coach.

Watching the pre and post match, Roos said as much in the most politically correct way he could. Reading between the lines it's clear he thinks he can't coach.
    The eternal connundrum "what happens when an unstoppable force meets an immovable object" was finally solved when David Hasselhoff punched himself in the face.

i suppose it is like business re key indicators

ie no money in the bank no business

no points on the board no win

but what leads to these outcomes can sometimes puzzle the mind - even though every stockbroker or analyst thinks they are right - sometimes they are not !

in fact just look at the prediction charts of the top 5 analysts in each of the papers ie the top 5 picks for 2013 ! they are rarely right re the All Ords or the top stocks - yet they have all the "key indicators" right in front of them !

PS - when Freeo played us they had some great stats and they hammered our forward 50m but with such little effectiveness until the last qtr...........I thought to myself how did Freeo loose the game, how did they put them self in such a great position with forward entries but not convert............then I also wondered when watching the game.....how did we not slow their unbridled momentum in the last qtr !

Longmire with all the key indicators at his disposal could not stem the flow in the last qtr against the Dockers !
    "be tough, only when it gets tough"

Quote Originally Posted by nicko18 View Post
    I think you may have missed the fox footy's pre-game analysis of supercoach scores where 4 random pies players had +53 points on 4 of our random players, otherwise you wouldn't be so sceptical of these "key indicators"
    The only ones that seem to matter to the Swans are tackles, defensive pressure (which I don't think are measured) and as mentioned before by Longmire, pressure acts (grand final). I am sure they'd also measure defensive spread and rebound spread aka 2-way running but that isn't measured by Champion Data (correct me if I'm wrong, I don't do those Fantasy things). Oh! And disposal efficiency and goal kicking efficiency I am sure would be measured too.

It's hilarious watching Fox come up with a different angle and formula to predict the result of games in their pre-game fluff.

Remember last years 'Formula for Success'? It was quite a funny ad with Kingy, Johnno, Parko and Huddo, but the formula itself which predicts '97% of all winners' or some such garbage got the punt mid year after a month of teams losing the stats, yet winning the games.

I predict (with 97% accuracy) that the bunkem served up as analysis on Friday night using Supercoach scores will be gone by the bye....
    Driver of the Dan Hannebery bandwagon....all aboard. 4th April 09

Barcelona in football have as one of their 3 indicators of success - "winning the ball back within 3 seconds"
    "be tough, only when it gets tough"

pr. dim-melb; m not f
    Quote Originally Posted by Bloody Hell View Post
    Teams that rely on the "forward press", like Collingwood, are really sucked in by the style of footy the Swans play. I would think it's pretty obvious and another reason why Buckley is a @@@@ coach.

Watching the pre and post match, Roos said as much in the most politically correct way he could. Reading between the lines it's clear he thinks he can't coach.
    The Footy Almanac has an outstanding article on the Preliminary Final written by Matt O'Connor, a Collingwood diehard. He goes into detail about the Pies' forward press and the Swans' response, namely Jetta. It's a terrific read. If you can't see it online it's worth buying the book just for this article. Sums up the changing game.
    He reminds him of the guys, close-set, slow, and never rattled, who were play-makers on the team. (John Updike, seeing Josh Kennedy in a crystal ball)

On the Rookie List
    Quote Originally Posted by mcs View Post
    At least after, Rd 12 we will have a genuine alternative method to our play, once Tippett is in the team. It might mean, that when the slingshot footy isn't going so well, the bombing forward we seem to regress to might actually be more successful, as we will have at least 2 or 3 (assuming Pyke stays in the team and we continue to rotate ruckman up forward) big guys up there, all capable of taking contested marks.
    Spot on.

I really believe this single fact will determine the possibilities of our season. Kurt will bring one single additional ingredient to our attack and defence: diversity.

As of Round 13 we will have another 200cm+ player with real physical presence, great hands, experience and determination. The Hawks are so excited about Lake, but he is close to the end of his career. Geelong are similarly excited by Blicavs, who is but a babe. Compared to Tippett, who has both presence and games under the belt. And with those skills he can move to any spot along the spine.

And the real beneficiary is Sam Reid. And Lewis Jetta. Because Kurt may well not take a single mark for the rest of the year, but that will just mean more opportunity for Sam as the second target, or for Lewis as players sag off him ready for the long bomb (at which point he can take off and break the 50 with a long goal). Diversity, variety, options.

Oh and as for the Mummy v Pyke v Tippett v Reid debate - lets not forget that LRT is the unlucky one already.

Quote Originally Posted by EskisLeftBoot View Post
    Oh and as for the Mummy v Pyke v Tippett v Reid debate - lets not forget that LRT is the unlucky one already.
    I can comfortably fit all those in the team.

Tippett permanent FF - LRT down back - Mummy and Pyke keep doing what they're doing - Reid plays as a high CHF.

LRT is unlucky because he's injured, not because he wouldn't be in the team.
    The eternal connundrum "what happens when an unstoppable force meets an immovable object" was finally solved when David Hasselhoff punched himself in the face.

Veteran Site Admin
    Quote Originally Posted by Bloody Hell View Post
    I can comfortably fit all those in the team.

Tippett permanent FF - LRT down back - Mummy and Pyke keep doing what they're doing - Reid plays as a high CHF.

LRT is unlucky because he's injured, not because he wouldn't be in the team.
    I am not sure about putting both LRT and Tippett into a team that already has Mumford and Pyke (and Reid) - not unless LRT is there to replace either Ted or Reg. Against the Hawks, it would have been helpful to have LRT as another tall defender, but I am not sure you'd want to go into many games with three genuine tall defenders. Add two genuine rucks and two pretty tall forwards and we risk losing mobility. Bear in mind that to fit two additional talls into the team that played on Friday, you need to take two others out. In the short term Everitt might be one of those (though we hope Johnson will be back to take that spot next year). Who else? Morton? One of the midfield runners?

Hadn't heard anyone mention this before. Buckley view on the slingshot:

"I don't know what their [the Swans] endurance profile is, but from the outside in it looks like they've got six, seven, eight elite endurance runners that can run at pace up and back," Buckley said.

"We don't have the capacity to match that at the moment with our personnel . . . if we make it a running battle it's probably going to be harder for us to win.

Lukewarm Pies feeling the heat

From the Pies POV you're wondering what was the point of Arizona?
    The man who laughs has not yet heard the terrible news

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast