Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Sling shot footy !!

Sling shot footy !!

ok

so the rounds pre the Pies show some signs of our exciting sling shot 2012 footy but in all honesty until fri night at the 'G' it appeared to be a little lost on our lads.

Then the heavens opened against the Pies and we flooded forward in attack like our best footy in the 2012 season. The hard running by our midfield and HFF breaking free of their opposite number was almost embarrassing for the Pies coaching dept!

Where had this football gone ?

Why did we fail to make this happen in the previous rounds ?

Is it back for 2013 season here on ?

OR was the backline and midfield of the Pies so down on quality players that we cant compare ?

I mean we had no Mattner, LRT, Shaw, AJ - so they could have played the same expansive flood forward footy into space, test our backline and midfield like we did but they didnt !!!

Why couldnt the Pies match us in this area ?

Have we started to hit peak fitness finally and makes those gut busting runs to expose compressed back lines?

im fired UP !!!!!

"be tough, only when it gets tough"

Not sure if we have peaked as there are a lot of players to come back into to the side. However I do agree that we did look better and put a big space between the top 5 and the rest.

Forward line will improve and I expect that the backs will also. Our on baller's are considered in the top echelon. Still looking for improvement as we consolidate our place in the top 4!

Very pleased to make the Pies look pedestrian and may we do the same to the bombers!

Rod_

I wonder whether the larger ground at the MCG makes it easier to play that style of footy... There was acres of space there for the lads to run into. And run they did! Nice to see the sort of form that won us the flag last year!

Quote Originally Posted by Rod_ View Post
    Not sure if we have peaked as there are a lot of players to come back into to the side. However I do agree that we did look better and put a big space between the top 5 and the rest.

Forward line will improve and I expect that the backs will also. Our on baller's are considered in the top echelon. Still looking for improvement as we consolidate our place in the top 4!

Very pleased to make the Pies look pedestrian and may we do the same to the bombers!

Rod_
    just to clarify Rod

"peak fitness" not peak all round performance etc

It was great to see! Exciting football! But against teams like Geelong and especially Hawthorn, I think they anticpated it a bit and had defenders waiting back like Lake and Gibson, which happened in the 1st quarter of the grand final, until we manned up Gibson and held him accountable, against teams like hawthorn and Geelong I think we'll need to all man up and make there backbone accountable with our mids still hard running through both sides of the ground.
    Otherwise, if teams like collingwood fall for it, sling shot away! It's exciting to watch!

Quote Originally Posted by Auntie.Gerald View Post
    ok

so the rounds pre the Pies show some signs of our exciting sling shot 2012 footy but in all honesty until fri night at the 'G' it appeared to be a little lost on our lads.

Then the heavens opened against the Pies and we flooded forward in attack like our best footy in the 2012 season. The hard running by our midfield and HFF breaking free of their opposite number was almost embarrassing for the Pies coaching dept!

Where had this football gone ?

Why did we fail to make this happen in the previous rounds ?

Is it back for 2013 season here on ?

OR was the backline and midfield of the Pies so down on quality players that we cant compare ?

I mean we had no Mattner, LRT, Shaw, AJ - so they could have played the same expansive flood forward footy into space, test our backline and midfield like we did but they didnt !!!

Why couldnt the Pies match us in this area ?

Have we started to hit peak fitness finally and makes those gut busting runs to expose compressed back lines?

im fired UP !!!!!

Firstly, AG your enthusiasm is more then commendable! If only our dragons were half as good as the Swans this year, you'd have no time left at all to do anything but post your interesting takes on footy

The pies simply didn't/couldn't/wouldn't work hard enough to counter our hard spread, and general gut running. If for some wayward kicking, and some poor final options at times, we could of easily beat the pies by 15 goals on Friday night. I know the pies had some players out, but its clear from the prelim and this game, that under Buckley they really struggle to contain our brand of footy when we play well. That will be the same for a lot of teams, but so far this year, teams have managed to find a way to really take Jetta out of it and when he is quiet, we struggle to get it going.

Watching on Friday night, it really looked like the Pies were struggling fitness wise to match us, and their midfield simply could not go with ours (especially Swan - he looked a shadow of the player he has been previously). But we also smashed them in terms of defensive pressure, and every time they looked up there were Swans swanning in from everywhere to put pressure on. That was what impressed me most on Friday night. We need to continue it from here on though, and hope we can continue to play slingshot footy to hurt teams.

The other big bonus on Friday was just how clean generally we were with our hands. Our current midfield group, when on song are a joy to watch in terms of their ability to extract the ball and then move it fast by hand and exceptionally cleanly as well. Essendon on Saturday night will be a very good test - they have been excellent defensively, and our midfield will need to provide strong support to what will be a depleted forward line most likely.

At least after, Rd 12 we will have a genuine alternative method to our play, once Tippett is in the team. It might mean, that when the slingshot footy isn't going so well, the bombing forward we seem to regress to might actually be more successful, as we will have at least 2 or 3 (assuming Pyke stays in the team and we continue to rotate ruckman up forward) big guys up there, all capable of taking contested marks.
    "You get the feeling that like Monty Python's Black Knight, the Swans would regard amputation as merely a flesh wound."

Quote Originally Posted by jetts32 View Post
    It was great to see! Exciting football! But against teams like Geelong and especially Hawthorn, I think they anticpated it a bit and had defenders waiting back like Lake and Gibson, which happened in the 1st quarter of the grand final, until we manned up Gibson and held him accountable, against teams like hawthorn and Geelong I think we'll need to all man up and make there backbone accountable with our mids still hard running through both sides of the ground.
    Otherwise, if teams like collingwood fall for it, sling shot away! It's exciting to watch!
    Our issue against geelong was that our midfield was simply not accountable, and let Geelong's midfield have far too much space (like Collingwood let us have too much space on Friday Night) when they had the ball. Geelong used the fact that we take a chance during contested play (in terms of players pushing forward hard, even before the ball is secured), and managed to time and time again punish us for it.

We will be helped against Hawthorn once we have Tippett in the forward line. A lot tougher for Gibson to play the lone ranger down back when they have Tippett/Reid/Goodes/Pyke/Mumford to man up on down there. If you make Gibson play accountable football on an opponent, as was shown in the Grand Final, you can soon make him look silly.

After the game on Friday night, I felt a lot more comfortable with where we are at this season. Whilst we didn't get many scoring shots against freo, with the exception of the last quarter, I generally thought we were pretty good. And on Friday, there is no doubting that we were excellent. With a few key players missing, and Tippett to come in, there is only upside from here.

A very big 2 weeks coming up however - beat the Bombers and the Crows and we will be perfectly placed to finish top 4. Beat 1 of them, and we are going well. Lose both and we will be right on the knife edge. The next 2 weeks can really set us up beautifully for the rest of the season.
    "You get the feeling that like Monty Python's Black Knight, the Swans would regard amputation as merely a flesh wound."

Quote Originally Posted by Auntie.Gerald View Post
    just to clarify Rod

"peak fitness" not peak all round performance etc
    Peak noted, and clarity agreed.

Rod

MCS

Without diminishing the efforts of the Swans players, who are the primary agents of their own success, I do think Buckley is an inferior coach to Malthouse at this stage. The Pies were out-played, but I also think they were out-coached.

Other coaches have found a way to dampen the sling-shot, but Buckley had no answers.

Veteran Site Admin
    Interesting to hear Rocket partlally defend Collingwood's performance with a comment that they "won" most of the key indicators -like clearances, inside 50s, tackles. I seem to remember Brad Scott trotting out a similar line after we comfortably saw off North last year, not to mention the media's summation of the GF (albeit that we weren't the dominant team throughout that game).

When will it occur to some that maybe their key indicators aren't so key after all?

[Just like to add that Rocket wasn't trying to take anything away from Sydney - he acknowledged the Swans were great, especially on the spread.]

Quote Originally Posted by liz View Post
    When will it occur to some that maybe their key indicators aren't so key after all?
    I think you may have missed the fox footy's pre-game analysis of supercoach scores where 4 random pies players had +53 points on 4 of our random players, otherwise you wouldn't be so sceptical of these "key indicators"

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast