Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: 7 missing this week ............yet we rise up AGAIN !!

pr. dim-melb; m not f
    Not sure whether to classify that as laughable or winceable! Maybe both.
    He reminds him of the guys, close-set, slow, and never rattled, who were play-makers on the team. (John Updike, seeing Josh Kennedy in a crystal ball)

On the veteran's list
    Can't drop lamb for one of the older blokes coming back from injury because he wasn't playing in the first place!
    Those who have the greatest power to hurt us are those we love.

On the veteran's list
    Can't drop Lamb for one of the older blokes coming back from injury because he wasn't playing in the first place!
    Those who have the greatest power to hurt us are those we love.

Swans are being noticed: Swans still team to beat: Lloyd

We will win the flag this year.
    LRT. Lord Roberts-Thompson. He may look like the Munster, but looks can be deceiving.

2012 Bloods Premiers.

My crystal ball says cats hawks swans dockers top 4, and I am hoping for cats and swans grand final

Regular in the Side
    Quote Originally Posted by PerthSwannie View Post
    If all those guys could come back in one hit, who would have to be dropped??

A bloody hard decision, but here goes......

1 Mitchell
    2 Morton
    3 Lamb
    4 Walsh
    5 Bolton(I`m crying)
    6 Everitt
    7 ........can`t pick another one..

What a GREAT predicament we`re in..............................
    My view is that the best 2013 team ahead would be to add Tippett, Shaw, Mattner and Reid; and exclude (from the Round 10 Bombers game), Walsh, Rampe, Everitt, and Morton.

That would mean just three changes from the 2012 Premiership team: IN Tippett, Mitchell, McGlynn. OUT: Morton, AJ, LRT.

I sadly cant see either LRT or Rohan being sufficiently ready now for September Finals footy, particularly noting the Swans' current depth.

One other point: is it time to seriouly consider Jude as a sub? He would be a great contibutor coming on in the 3rd or 4th quarter, coming on with all that experience to rally the troops in game ending presure situations. The Bulldogs have recently succeeded in relying upon a 'heart and soul' veteran in Daniel Giasiracusa as a sub. You have to wonder if the Swans would have survived against Freo if Jude had come on as the sub.

Veterans List
    I suspect this is Mattners last season. He has really struggled with the hip injury and hinted as such when he was in the commentary box early in the season. He and his wife are both from Adelaide and although he likes Sydney said that the Adelaide family connection for both was very strong.

Tippett is coming in just in the nick of time. Hopefully Reid will okay to play after the bye as well.We are lucky that only Carlton would be a serious challenge of the 4 games after the bye, which hopefully will allow LRT to recover from his knee surgery. We are down to 0 in the KPP depth department, although we could give Xav and Brown ago in a pinch.

I wouldn't be counting on either Mattner or Shaw coming back this year. Even if they do regain fitness, we will have established a new defensive structure that Horse will not be likely to toy with going into the pointy end of the season.

I quite like the current backline setup. Rampe is settling in well and wouldn't replace him even if Mattner is fit. Macca's doing great in a duet with Mal setting up play from the back half. This also opens a spot in the midfield for Mitchell to fill, and it seems he will fill it quite nicely.

Otherwise I think our depth is in decent shape. We still have Tony, Harry C and Jeb Lamb who can fill any holes that might crop up in the midfield, winger department. Jake Lloyd also looks ready to have a go.

We certainly don't need any more injuries, especially in the KPP department, but we should be able to pull through if we can get back more than we lose on the injury front.

Ludwig

given Shaws form last season I reckon he would be move back into the starting line up asap once fit

Mattner though may need to force his way in given Rampe's rise

Im sure Macca would prefer to push back into the midfield also
    "be tough, only when it gets tough"

You must surely jest Ludwig. When Mattner and Shaw are fit, they will be in the top 22, no questions asked. If you ever need to be reminded of Mattner's value to the team, just look at a certain game in September last year. Likewise Shaw has been so good for us over the last couple of seasons as well. If you were picking our best 22 with everyone fit, I'd say 99% of people, including the coaches would have them both in there.

Rampe has plenty of talent and ability, but to me if it was a choice between a fit Mattner and a fit Rampe, at this stage, the answer is pretty straightforward to me. Young talent is one thing, but experience and know how is what is needed in the big matches, and Mattner has spades of that. That is not to say I don't like Rampe - I think he has been superb for someone thrown in at the deep end this season. But you don't just scrap a 200+ game veteran completely on the basis of the first 10 games of a rookies career (unless the rookie is absolutely sensational - and as good as Rampe is, I don't think we can class him as that yet!)
    "You get the feeling that like Monty Python's Black Knight, the Swans would regard amputation as merely a flesh wound."

I feel that a Rampe-Mattner selection is now a tossup. And if Rampe is in the team Mattner is not so much better that he would clearly dislodge him from his spot. Shaw is different issue, as McVeigh is filling in for him and his run and carry out of defence is something special. So it's more about his injury concerns.

If everyone is playing well and the defence is working cohesively, there will be nothing automatic about either one coming back into the side. No one wants to play with a winning formula.

Lets move up to round 13 and Tippett, Reid and Shaw are all available for selection. I figure Tippett comes in for Walsh, Reid for Morton (surely some protest here), and then I really can't find an obvious candidate to be dropped. Happy to listen to suggestions.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast