Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: 7 missing this week ............yet we rise up AGAIN !!

Veterans List
    The point with both Mattner and Shaw is that they both have serious injuries and are struggling with them. I still reckon Shaw might have a hernia problem. If they dont get operated on they certainly get worse and more so playing AFL. I don't think there is a chance that Shaw's career is finished but with the news that he has had a setback of 4 to 5 weeks then for him to get back to full fitness by the end of the year might be a stretch. More kudos to our player versatility that we have been able to cover these 2 more than adequately.

Quote Originally Posted by Nico View Post
    The point with both Mattner and Shaw is that they both have serious injuries and are struggling with them. I still reckon Shaw might have a hernia problem. If they dont get operated on they certainly get worse and more so playing AFL. I don't think there is a chance that Shaw's career is finished but with the news that he has had a setback of 4 to 5 weeks then for him to get back to full fitness by the end of the year might be a stretch. More kudos to our player versatility that we have been able to cover these 2 more than adequately.
    I have no issue if they are not fit, as then it is patently clear that they should not be selected. But I still think, if they are both at full fitness, both Mattner and Shaw are clearly in our top 22 still, despite rampe's excellent beginning to his career.

Good problems to have at the moment for the club (apart from the injury list).
    "You get the feeling that like Monty Python's Black Knight, the Swans would regard amputation as merely a flesh wound."

Opti-pessi-misti
    Two to three weeks back constantly heard that Geelong and Hawks were definite top 4 contenders. Nice to hear now that Geelong, Hawks and Swans are definite top 4 contenders! Hope we peck the Crows to pieces - metaphorically speaking, of course.

I imagine a forward line of Tippett, Reid, McGlynn and Morton, resting ruck and a mid if necessary. I hope we continue to play all the talls when Tippett comes back or we run hte4 risk of losing Mummy if he gets disgruntled. With Reid roaming far and wide to get the pill, the other 3 can be pretty much forward, although Benny does work up the ground pretty well
    You can't argue with a sick mind - Joe Walsh

Veterans List
    Right now it appears the 2 rucks are spending more time on the ground allowing more midfield rotations. It will be intersting to see what happens when we get both Reid and Tippett up forward as to how they handle the rucks. I can't see the coaches going with a top heavy forward structure.

On the Rookie List
    Quote Originally Posted by GongSwan View Post
    I imagine a forward line of Tippett, Reid, McGlynn and Morton, resting ruck and a mid if necessary. I hope we continue to play all the talls when Tippett comes back or we run hte4 risk of losing Mummy if he gets disgruntled. With Reid roaming far and wide to get the pill, the other 3 can be pretty much forward, although Benny does work up the ground pretty well
    +1.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by GongSwan View Post
    +1.

Shaw critical to Swans' title defence: Bolton

It's Craig, not Jude!

http://www.afl.com.au/news/2013-06-0...hinge-on-rhyce

Craig Bolton says Rhyce Shaw is critical to the Swans' title defence. As valuable as Shaw has been, I actually disagree with Craig on this one. No Shaw and no Mattner hasn't stopped the Swans from playing some very good footy. Although reserves are sparse at the moment, the defence has looked solid, with McVeigh and Malceski offering plenty of rebound. Rhyce is great with his run and carry, but McVeigh is great at moving the ball out of the defence with his good disposal and decision-making. If our defence can rebound after the loss of Craig and Leo, we can get over the losses of Mattner and Shaw. That's footy. Teams are always evolving. Life goes on.

Once a player is over 30, any injury can be career-ending. With the latest news on Rhyce, I'm preparing for the possibility that he won't be back this year, and perhaps his career is coming to an end as well. I hope not, but he will be 32 next year and it can't be far off. It's been 2 months and they clearly don't have a handle on his injury. Maybe it's an opportunity for Harry Cunningham to show his wares as a run and carry defender.

LRT will probably return before the tough part of the season starts in about 6 weeks, which will be most welcome, but he's had a few injuries now as well that may take its toll on the longevity of his career.

We have had our share of injuries this year. In footy, you just have to keep looking forward because the past can creep up on you pretty fast.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123