Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Paul Roos commentating our games

Veterans List
    Unfortunately Paul has fallen in line with a lot of other special comments people. They think they have to keep talking as the game goes on. There were long gaps in time when the game was continuing and the special comments people kept rattling on. Very annoying. He apologised to Hudson at one point for talking over him. Robert Walls I think is the best. He gives short precise comments at stoppages and doesn't interrupt or talkover.

I found that this happened in the English Premier League this past season, even to the point in one match a goal was scored while this bloke was rattling on about how good Liverpool was. The goal was scored by West Bromich who went on to win the game.

Veterans List
    Unfortunately Paul has fallen in line with a lot of other special comments people. They think they have to keep talking as the game goes on. There were long gaps in time when the game was continuing and the special comments people kept rattling on. Very annoying. He apologised to Hudson at one point for talking over him. Robert Walls I think is the best. He gives short precise comments at stoppages and doesn't interrupt or talkover.

I found that this happened in the English Premier League this past season, even to the point in one match a goal was scored while this bloke was rattling on about how good Liverpool was. The goal was scored by West Bromich who went on to win the game.

Roos performed a vintage version of that one. After the Swans got a goal over the back, he said 'that wouldn't happen with the Swans. Teddy and Reggie are the best at getting back into the goal square yada yada.'
    Took about a minute for the Bombers to get one off a fast break. No sign of you know who.

I'm not anti Roos, just wish he would t sound so enthusiastic about us and not keep repeating the same things.

Much of the criticism of Roos stems from one commentator in particular. While I agree that much of Roos' commentary is biased and Swanscentric, I like it. For many years the only time we got a mention in any media was a consequence was for the sensational e.g. Edelston era or through imperative e.g. Grand finalists and grudgingly. The Melbourne press gallery has had no interest in commentating on Sydney before last year and thus the flying under radar tag.

For too long players of genuine merit have been overlooked and discredited merely because they do not have a postcode beginning with a 3.

I personally appreciate Gerard Whatley, Tim Lane and Dennis Commetti as commentators and am beginning to appreciate Tadgh. All of these have one thing in common they invest their comments with humour when appropriate, insight gained through an understanding of the game beyond the obvious and imagination rather than cliche.

Oops 3 things in common

I enjoy Roosies commentary. Yes, very Swans biased but that's what I like! Its like watching the game with a very knowledgeable mate.
    I would like to see a Swans only commentary similar to the one Eddie and Tony Shaw did for the Pies the other week. I started watching that game with the standard commentary then switched to the Collingwood one thinking I'd last about 30 seconds, to the contrary I watched it for the whole game. It was fun and very funny at times and I think the ex Swans now working at Foxtel could do a similar thing.

Quote Originally Posted by Jewels View Post
    I would like to see a Swans only commentary similar to the one Eddie and Tony Shaw did for the Pies the other week. I started watching that game with the standard commentary then switched to the Collingwood one thinking I'd last about 30 seconds, to the contrary I watched it for the whole game. It was fun and very funny at times and I think the ex Swans now working at Foxtel could do a similar thing.
    I would have loved to tune into a 'Press Red for Ed' commentary a fortnight ago when we pumped them, it would have been gold listening to the tears...

On subject, I'm not a fan of Roos' constant Swans references and absolutely see how they alienate fans of all other clubs.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by graemed View Post
    For too long players of genuine merit have been overlooked and discredited merely because they do not have a postcode beginning with a 3.

I personally appreciate Gerard Whateley...
    Disappointed with him last night when Robbo, not unexpectedly for him, was struggling with who cannoned into Dempsey on Sat night. Gerard offered up Rampe and they both ran with it.

Nick Smith is a premiership player and arguably best small defender in the AFL. I mean, seriously....
    Driver of the Dan Hannebery bandwagon....all aboard. 4th April 09

Just wild about Harry
    Quote Originally Posted by graemed View Post
    Oops 3 things in common
    Nobody expects the Spanish Inquisition...

Quote Originally Posted by Triple B View Post
    I would have loved to tune into a 'Press Red for Ed' commentary a fortnight ago when we pumped them, it would have been gold listening to the tears....
    Now that would have been a treat ????

Quote Originally Posted by Triple B View Post
    Disappointed with him last night when Robbo, not unexpectedly for him, was struggling with who cannoned into Dempsey on Sat night. Gerard offered up Rampe and they both ran with it.

Nick Smith is a premiership player and arguably best small defender in the AFL. I mean, seriously....
    Noticed that.

Overrated Gerard.
    Bloods

"Lockett is the best of all time" - Robert Harvey, Darrel Baldock, Nathan Burke, Kevin Bartlett, Bob Skilton

Quote Originally Posted by ShockOfHair View Post
    Roos performed a vintage version of that one. After the Swans got a goal over the back, he said 'that wouldn't happen with the Swans. Teddy and Reggie are the best at getting back into the goal square yada yada.'
    Took about a minute for the Bombers to get one off a fast break. No sign of you know who.

I'm not anti Roos, just wish he would t sound so enthusiastic about us and not keep repeating the same things.
    this is the frustrating thing about it for me. if you listen to roos the swans would never be scored against because every swans seems to have clean hands, outrun their opponent, have better vision, are the best player at dropping off thier opponent, outwork the fremantle midfielder and so on.

i personally dont like his commentary because it is often so super critical of any error.

Roos should be given credit for launching the word 'outnumber' as a noun.
    The man who laughs has not yet heard the terrible news

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast